Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on April 27, 2014, 12:22:57 pm

Title: Big Sur
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on April 27, 2014, 12:22:57 pm
Tripod Hole Locations in Big Sur.  The first two are 30 second exposures using Zeiss 21 and 35mm taken near Sundown.  The last is a 2 second exposure.
  
(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7255/14055732363_b9b050f2ed_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/nq4ixa)Bridging the Old and; New (https://flic.kr/p/nq4ixa) by shakyphoto (https://www.flickr.com/people/32225137@N04/), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7337/14032519172_be21b3c4f0_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/no1k4J)McWay for Water, Light and Time (https://flic.kr/p/no1k4J) by shakyphoto (https://www.flickr.com/people/32225137@N04/), on Flickr

(https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/14034223772_6f8a6d41f7_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/noa4Mo)Froth (https://flic.kr/p/noa4Mo) by shakyphoto (https://www.flickr.com/people/32225137@N04/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Dave Pluimer on April 27, 2014, 01:29:30 pm
I like #1 more than #2. Nice composition and colors. I do think the water/foam is either overcooked or needs some work. I see some green tint that catches my attention.

In #2, I think the exposure looks to be a bit too long. The water/foam has gone a bit too far to nearly blown out and distracting. Lovely scene, though, in both images.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on April 27, 2014, 02:20:26 pm
I like #1 more than #2. Nice composition and colors. I do think the water/foam is either overcooked or needs some work. I see some green tint that catches my attention.

In #2, I think the exposure looks to be a bit too long. The water/foam has gone a bit too far to nearly blown out and distracting. Lovely scene, though, in both images.

Thanks of the f/b.
I took care of the green tint which I did not catch in processing in the 1st.  Using my 10ND filter puts a bluish green cast which I have to compensate for in processing.  I'm not too concerned about the foam in this one.  Trying to deemphasize the water anyway.

WRT to the long exposure, I just uploaded a 2 sec exposure of the same scene done at f2.0.  Also on the 30 sec exposure turned down the highlights to get a little bit more definition.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: francois on April 28, 2014, 04:11:55 am
I like #1 very much and the cloudy sky helps a lot. Long exposure works very well here. I prefer #3 to #2, I'm with Dave on the exposure length, it's just a bit too much and I prefer the third image for that reason.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 28, 2014, 06:32:52 am
Wonderful locations.

#1 why is the sky and water so greyish, desaturated looking?

In the other I find the palm tree on the upper left a bit distracting, and kind of blocking the view.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on April 28, 2014, 11:39:46 pm
Wonderful locations.

#1 why is the sky and water so greyish, desaturated looking?

In the other I find the palm tree on the upper left a bit distracting, and kind of blocking the view.

I desaturated the ocean and sky to a black and white so that the light emphasized the coast line.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: IcelandAurora on May 01, 2014, 06:45:32 am
They are all pretty good compositions, I prefer #3 for the reasons discussed above... also I love the colours.

I am wondering if the blurred palm leaves in the foreground are due to shutter speed or DOF?  I wonder if those being sharp(er) would improve the image?
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: MartinSpence on May 01, 2014, 09:17:08 am
I prefer #3, the colours work for me whereas #1 they don't have the same appeal.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on May 02, 2014, 11:22:42 am
They are all pretty good compositions, I prefer #3 for the reasons discussed above... also I love the colours.

I am wondering if the blurred palm leaves in the foreground are due to shutter speed or DOF?  I wonder if those being sharp(er) would improve the image?

The palm tree leaves were moving and so it was due to shutter speed.  DOF wasn't an issue.