Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Chris Kern on April 19, 2014, 08:22:27 pm

Title: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: Chris Kern on April 19, 2014, 08:22:27 pm
Kevin Raber's photograph on today's start page makes me green (and orange and red) with envy.

I don't know whether you're willing to disclose your trade secrets, Kevin, but I'm wondering whether you tweaked the background colors in post.  And if so, with what software.  And if you did, how you managed to preserve the boy's skintones.

It really is a striking image.
Title: Re: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 19, 2014, 11:53:04 pm
I was going to say, "It's one L of an image!"  ;)

Very effective.
Title: Re: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 20, 2014, 12:40:37 am
Thank you for the comments.  This was one of those rare opportunities.  Michael, Chris and I were wandering the streets shooting pictures in Buenos Aires prior to one of the Antarctica workshops.  This image was made from the far side of the street as I was shooting with the 70-200mm zoom. The kid was there eating from a bag of Fritos.  He was not aware of us.  I saw the green rolling door, the gold cement side of the building, the red brick sidewalk and the kid sitting there.  I went vertical and shot a series of images.  This is the one I like best.  All the different lines with the kid in the shot putting a human element into the image make it work.  And, the way he was positioned with a strong horizontal and vertical pose as well as being positioned in the far left corner along with the color make this a keeper. And, I did nothing to the color or saturation or even contrast.  This was one of those shots that I kept the sliders a 0.

I have another few images of different subjects from that same day that I'll post in the future. 

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: LesPalenik on April 20, 2014, 04:40:17 am
Amazing shot, and another fine example that many great photographs are the result of seizing the moment and "taking" the picture rather than planning and staging it.
Title: Re: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: Jonathan Cross on April 21, 2014, 12:37:39 pm
A case of 'The more I practise, the luckier I get.'?
Title: Re: Boy On Street, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 21, 2014, 03:13:14 pm
A case of 'The more I practise, the luckier I get.'?
Exactly.