Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: AndrewKulin on April 13, 2014, 12:01:30 pm
-
Received this in my inbox this morning. Looks like a phishing scam. I highlighted one line of text in particular that stood out to me, also to my 15-year old son when I showed him the e-mail.
Am I wrong about this?
Hello from Getty Images Curators!
Referring url:
http://andrewkulin.photoshelter.com/gallery/Alberta-and-British-Columbia/G0000twg79._ID7c/
I'm part of the Getty Images team of curators who are on the look out for creative talent. Your work caught my eye, and I wanted to offer you the chance to join our iStock community of artists.
By joining iStockphoto, you'll become a contributor to one the world's largest stock communities, with over 3.5 million members.
Joining iStock is easy… Here's what you'll need to apply:
- 3 high-quality, full resolution sample images in RGB jpg format. (Please upload at least one Work With Us image if possible)
- Scan of one piece of photo identification (passport, government issued picture ID, or driver's license). Must be in jpg format.
- Please remember to enter your special invite code in the application field so our editors know who you are.
Your code is: webstar14
Step 1: Join iStockphoto
http://www.istockphoto.com/join
Step 2: Choose a Member Name
Your member name is the how other community members will identify you.
http://www.istockphoto.com/create_membername.php
Step 3: Apply to be a iStockphoto contributor
Our legal and technical training manual will help you learn about creating and selling stock. Take the the quiz and complete your application.
http://www.istockphoto.com/sell-stock-photos.php
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Sincerely,
The iStock Creative Team
Marlene Ford
-
... Your code is: webstar14...
I think when someone addresses you as a Web Star is a far bigger red flag than anything else ;D
-
You saw my photos then?
-
At least the links the sender provided look as if they really are Getty iStock. I have never dared do anything with stock, but I can well imagine that quite a few of your web images might be saleable. Whether they'll sell enough to bring in any perceptible income, I can't say.
-
You saw my photos then?
It seems that my comment might have been interpreted as a sarcastic commentary on the quality of your photography, which certainly wasn't my intention. It was simply meant as a humorous commentary on their chosen code name, with pandering undertones.
And yes, I would be concerned by anyone asking for a photocopy of my legal documents.
-
I would imagine that a legitimate stock agency would like be sure who they are dealing with.
At least the first web address is the same the links on their membership e-mails lead to. I have been a sleeping member for maybe 6-7 years, I keep getting the member e-mails.
-
I think when someone addresses you as a Web Star is a far bigger red flag than anything else ;D
I'd be even more concerned about clicking on a hyperlink of any kind in an unsolicited email.
-
It seems that my comment might have been interpreted as a sarcastic commentary on the quality of your photography, which certainly wasn't my intention. It was simply meant as a humorous commentary on their chosen code name, with pandering undertones.
I had tongue firmly planted in cheek when I wrote that. So no offense was taken.
And yes the request for photo ID is a major red flag. And, if this was a legitimate e-mail from a legitimate source with no intended malice, what the heck were they thinking when they thought asking for photo ID in an unsolicited e-mail was a good idea?
Cheers
-
I would imagine that a legitimate stock agency would like be sure who they are dealing with...
Why? It is not as if they are obliged by law, like banks are, to firmly establish your identity, in order to prevent terrorism financing or money laundering.
On second thought, maybe you are right after all. Maybe al Qaida and Mexican drug lords are indeed eyeing new venues for money laundering, one penny at the time. ;)
-
Why? It is not as if they are obliged by law, like banks are, to firmly establish your identity, in order to prevent terrorism financing or money laundering.
They would be legally responsible for the photographs they sell, so they like to know that the photographer marked as the photographer and copyright holder actually exists and that model releases are valid, done by a real person. Also that the money is going to a real person, not, say, a terrorist organization.
-
... Also that the money is going to a real person, not, say, a terrorist organization.
I suspected from the very beginning that the concept of penny stock photo agencies must be a diabolic plan by al Qaida to destroy western societies, one photographer at the time! ;D
-
- Scan of one piece of photo identification (passport, government issued picture ID, or driver's license). Must be in jpg format.
Went to the iStock site and, yes, they want some sort of official ID:
http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/photography/account-information
Although it seems very dicey to me to send this sort of info in e-mail.
Paul
-
It's pretty obvious that this outfit is operating on the Barnum principle. Don't be one of the suckers, Andrew.
-
It's pretty obvious that this outfit is operating on the Barnum principle. Don't be one of the suckers, Andrew.
I never had any intention of responding to this Russ. i just found the request for gov't issued ID troubling, and wanted to make folks aware that this was out there.