Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Gar L on April 09, 2014, 08:10:22 am
-
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to get my Epson 9890 to print onto a 42'' roll of photo tex (opaque) paper with accurate size.
I have an image which is 41 x 10. When I print it and take a measurement the width is always right at 41 but the length is always smaller at 9 15/16'' Now that doesn't sound like much but this difference gets larger (a couple of inches) when I am printing much longer images, and as these are tests for a mural I need the size to be right.
The image is orientated so that the 41'' width prints along the 42'' width of the roll.
I am printing an .ai from illustrator CC in windows 7. In illustrator I have set the artboard size to 42 X 11 and set the same size in the epson dialogue box under user defined. In both illustrator and the epson print dialogue boxes I have 'do not scale' or enlarge/reduce to off and select roll paper(banner)
I have inputted all the media settings for phototex paper, such as media type: ultrasmooth fine art paper, matte black, colour density -30, drying time 5 seconds,paper feed 0, suction standard, edge smoothing on, speed quality 3, platen gap standard, roll paper tension high, paper thickness 3
I have also printed from illustrator cs6 (both .ai and .eps), indesign cc, a pdf from acrobat pro with the same results
When I cut off a sheet from the roll and feed it in the results are a bit better. So I thought it was something to do with the paper not feeding in correctly as it is quite heavy.
I have tested the same file onto a sheet of epson double weight matte paper and it does print accurately.
So if anyone has any ideas if you would let me know, thanks
-
Canvas shrinkage is a well documented issue. Same problem with Phototex because it is also a fabric.
Using canvas as your printer media setting should help some.
(Epson did a little firmware work on this setting to help with the issue but it still does not work 100%,at least not for me.)
Under advanced media control I have my paper feed adjustment set to +70 which pretty much takes care of the issue. Remembering also that my prints are fairly large and I must makeup for around 1/2" most times.
You may find the shorter your print (Example 10") the less you will have to bump up your paper feed adjustment.
Takes a little fooling around but you should be able to nail it.
If you are looking for more info on the subject you will find no less then 25 threads here on LuLa plus a dozen more on the net. Or better yet someone else can chime in.
-
Under advanced media control I have my paper feed adjustment set to +70 which pretty much takes care of the issue.
Nailed it. My solution also.
-
Thanks guys!
I tried a +35 feed adjustment and it did the trick and that distortion reference point method will be beneficial in future.