Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 06, 2014, 07:44:48 am

Title: fire pit
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 06, 2014, 07:44:48 am
Thoughts?

Jeremy

(and Russ, the only thing I've done to the saturation is to reduce the reds and oranges a little)
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: brandtb on April 06, 2014, 08:21:35 am
Aside from the fact that there is a contrast between the orange center of the frame and its surrounding...is there really anything interesting about the objects in the frame? I don't think so. It's just an "orange shape" with rock surfaces around it. /B
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 06, 2014, 05:35:41 pm
Aside from the fact that there is a contrast between the orange center of the frame and its surrounding...

One man's "aside" is another man's whole point  ;)

Jeremy, I like the near abstract nature of the, well, nature. And, of course, the "aside" part. Perhaps darkening the upper right corner would underscore the abstract part and concentrate attention on the main subject? I also think that your decision to reduce orange/red saturation was the right one, as it is quite important to preserve the stone detail underneath, at least for printing, as web compression might make it an orange blob anyway.

Well seen and executed.
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 06, 2014, 06:35:21 pm
I like this one a lot, but like Slobodan I was a bit bothered by the upper right corner, which I find distracting.
My cure would be to try a content-aware fill to replace it with rock-like stuff.

Eric
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: RSL on April 06, 2014, 08:33:20 pm
I like it, Jeremy -- at least what I can see of it. When I try to go full-size I get a message that it can't be displayed because there's an error in the larger version. I'm on my laptop in what amounts to a top-line motel, so maybe the problem is with my access.
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 07, 2014, 04:15:52 am
One man's "aside" is another man's whole point  ;)

Precisely!

Jeremy, I like the near abstract nature of the, well, nature. And, of course, the "aside" part. Perhaps darkening the upper right corner would underscore the abstract part and concentrate attention on the main subject? I also think that your decision to reduce orange/red saturation was the right one, as it is quite important to preserve the stone detail underneath, at least for printing, as web compression might make it an orange blob anyway.

Well seen and executed.

It's good to hear from you again, Slobodan: I see from your post elsewhere that your search for a means to keep rings upright was successful.

I agree with you and Eric about the upper right: in fact, I've already darkened, blurred and desaturated it a bit because it disturbed me, but plainly I've not gone far enough. I'll try changing it to rocks  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: fire pit
Post by: francois on April 07, 2014, 04:27:40 am
I like it a lot , it's spectacular.