Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on April 05, 2014, 06:07:27 pm

Title: Abandoned
Post by: Harald L on April 05, 2014, 06:07:27 pm
I took this tourist shot of an abandoned estate on the way from Glenorchy to Queenstown. I'm torn between B&W and Color. Your opinion?

Harald
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: RSL on April 05, 2014, 06:09:47 pm
Neither.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 05, 2014, 07:25:24 pm
For me, the B&W. It feels more desolate.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 06, 2014, 05:49:21 pm
What I find interesting in the color version is the color harmony between the roof, fall leaves and the rusty car. The subject seems to lends itself to further post-processing, perhaps of the "grunge" type? If anything immediate, I would use a gradient to darken the lower left triangle. As for composition, it seems that the center of the image is left empty. Perhaps moving a bit to the right at capture stage might have been helpful?
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 06, 2014, 06:37:52 pm
As for composition, it seems that the center of the image is left empty. Perhaps moving a bit to the right at capture stage might have been helpful?
Another way of looking at it: To me the empty center adds to the sense of desolation.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: francois on April 07, 2014, 04:18:31 am
I feel a bit uneasy with this image (both versions) and I guess that's what's Harald wanted to convey. The soft, faded, subdued colors are perfect to accentuate this state of abandonment.