Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattNQ on April 03, 2014, 03:16:33 am

Title: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: MattNQ on April 03, 2014, 03:16:33 am
Been playing with an IR modified camera recently - here's a couple of ideas that fell out of my head & rolled around for a bit on the floor

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Infrared/i-ZJrXw74/0/L/P3020382mod4-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Infrared/i-ZXwXTjF/0/L/P1010283_editmod4-L.jpg)

Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 03, 2014, 09:13:28 am
Very nice dreamy atmosphere.
I like  them and it's not IR overdone as one often can see.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 03, 2014, 09:55:34 am
I like these, Matt, especially the structure in #1, and its realism.
Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: RSL on April 03, 2014, 01:27:25 pm
Good shooting, Matt. These actually have something to say.
Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 03, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
Excellent - dreamy and vaguely sinister.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: MattNQ on April 03, 2014, 10:19:04 pm
Thanks all for looking and commenting.

I haven't done a lot of landscape shooting this year, but recently I have been taking my daughter to rowing at an ungodly hour one morning a week. So I been going for a jog/walk with a camera exploring the paths around our river...and have been quite enjoying finding new places to shoot. Lately we have had very little dawn colour, so I find the IR camera lets me concentrate on the light & shadows instead.

A path often lends itself to an easy (and maybe too obvious?) composition ...I find the hard part is how to make it interesting & add more drama to it.
I was aiming for that mix of dreamy but with an overall sense of forboding. An unsettling sense that maybe all is not as it seems.  


Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: luxborealis on April 07, 2014, 11:08:09 pm
Very evocative - the first one especially. I'm seeing it as a square crop, though, towards the right 2/3s of the photograph.
Title: Re: Dark paths & silver light
Post by: MattNQ on April 08, 2014, 07:04:02 am
Very evocative - the first one especially. I'm seeing it as a square crop, though, towards the right 2/3s of the photograph.

Thank you Terry, I'll give the square crop a try