Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on April 02, 2014, 04:01:34 pm

Title: How Do I
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 02, 2014, 04:01:34 pm
Stop banding in broad areas in the jpeg compression? I've tried just about everything in my little box of tricks that I know. Any ideas out there. Here is a prime example.
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 02, 2014, 04:02:45 pm
Not as bad on here as on another site....is it more an issue with the host program's method of transference?
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: RSL on April 02, 2014, 05:49:29 pm
Donno, Chris, maybe because I can't find any exif data on the picture. What camera did you shoot it with? What post-processing sequence are you using? Did you shoot raw or jpeg?, etc., etc., etc.
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: PeterAit on April 02, 2014, 06:10:06 pm
Don't use JPG? Just a thought. PNG is loss-less compression and might suit your needs better.
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2014, 06:15:31 pm
Not as bad on here as on another site....is it more an issue with the host program's method of transference?
I suspect it is. I don't see any banding in this photo on my Dell monitor.
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 02, 2014, 09:20:00 pm
I'll give the PNG a try as well. I shoot a D800 and this image was shot with a 28-300 at f/25 2.5 seconds ISO 100
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Alan Klein on April 02, 2014, 11:42:40 pm
Don't really notice banding in that shot.  Did you adjust jpeg for the least amount of compression???
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: stamper on April 03, 2014, 04:09:00 am
A very slight sign of banding on my monitor but wouldn't have noticed unless my attention was drawn to it. I was wondering about the f/25? Was that to maximise Dof? Personally I wouldn't have gone above f/16.Maybe it has something to do with the capture? I like the image, nice processing. :)
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 03, 2014, 09:15:07 am
You can work on banding by adding noise locally on the sky in 16 bit mode and then blurring and then denoising again.
Thats how I do it when I postprocess certain jpegs.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: cjogo on April 03, 2014, 11:30:15 am
Looks fine on my screen...nothing near banding to my eyes. 
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 03, 2014, 02:49:07 pm
A very slight sign of banding on my monitor but wouldn't have noticed unless my attention was drawn to it. I was wondering about the f/25? Was that to maximise Dof? Personally I wouldn't have gone above f/16.Maybe it has something to do with the capture? I like the image, nice processing. :)

Didn't have the Big Stopper with me and wanted to maximize the exposure time to smooth out the water. Normally, I do landscapes at f/16.
Title: Re: How Do I
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 03, 2014, 02:50:18 pm
You can work on banding by adding noise locally on the sky in 16 bit mode and then blurring and then denoising again.
Thats how I do it when I postprocess certain jpegs.
Cheers
~Chris

Thanks, Chris. I had already done that and was beginning to suspect it might in itself be part of the problem, but looking at this on a macpro book last night, I am okay with how it translated here.