Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Mitchell Baum on March 31, 2014, 11:40:52 am

Title: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Mitchell Baum on March 31, 2014, 11:40:52 am
Has anyone used this combination? Is the shutter vibration problem going to be addressed?
Thanks,

Mitchell
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Chris Livsey on March 31, 2014, 01:32:04 pm
Yes it does, not used personally but I see good reports. Due to the greater distance from the sensor the wide R lenses tend to perform much better than the M wides.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Adapter-E-mount-NEX-VG10-Three-Cam/dp/B003Y302BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396286701&sr=8-1&keywords=leica+r+nex+adapter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=leica+r+nex+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aleica+r+nex+adapter

It is unlikely the shutter vibration can be addressed other than by a re-design. Introducing a delay, using a firmware update, between the shutter closing and opening for the exposure would work but introduce a shutter lag which many/most would not find acceptable.
There are ranges of speeds less affected or unaffected by the vibration so it is possible to adapt to accommodate the issue.
Although many sites have covered the issue this is most comprehensive and explores the options.
http://blog.kasson.com/
I regret my answer was not as succinct as your question  ;)
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Mitchell Baum on March 31, 2014, 01:48:02 pm
Hi Chris,

Thanks so much. Your excellent reply was as succinct as possible to be complete.

Mitchell
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Telecaster on March 31, 2014, 03:17:20 pm
I've had very good results from my R lenses, in line with how the lenses perform on R cameras.

Re. shutter vibration: as I take pics mostly handheld and rarely use tripod-mounted long lenses I've never seen it. I doubt the issue is fixable in the A7r. Rather it helps advocate the case for electronic shutters or at least electronic first curtain capability.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Chris Barrett on March 31, 2014, 04:45:42 pm
I haven't seen any shutter vibration on the 70-180.

(https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10014559_10202739947194855_338769490_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: bcooter on March 31, 2014, 05:26:16 pm
I haven't seen any shutter vibration on the 70-180.

(https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10014559_10202739947194855_338769490_n.jpg)

I think shutter vibration can be overstated or mislabeled.

I'm working an image now where we were blending studios strobes in a daylight studio and image 217 is perfect, 218 blurred, 219 perfect, all with the S2.

Why?   Dunno, maybe the model jerked, maybe I had a brain slip, maybe it's just the photo Gods messing with me, but if I took that one image I could post everywhere that the camera had issues.

I think a lot of this just comes down to use, being careful, using a higher shutter speed.

_____________________________


Chris,  I know you don't shoot a lot of people in stills, but how do you find the A7R skintones, focusing, speed?

BC
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: Chris Barrett on March 31, 2014, 09:21:36 pm
Focusing with the Sony lenses is as good and fast as you'd want.  Canon lenses via the MetaBones adapter is entirely different... hardly usable for fashion.  I haven't done much people with it, but here is a headshot I did for my wife to check skin tones.  Unretouched...

(http://christopherbarrett.net/forum_images/_DSC0411.jpg)

CB
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 01, 2014, 05:40:11 am
Hi,

Jim has done a very good and extensive analysis. In short:

- Shutter vibration is there and causes loss of sharpness reproducibly.
- It is observable es degradation of resolution, measurable but not very visible
- Depends on factors like lens mount, pivot point and mass

Don't expect double contours, but a loss of resolution. Jim found that it is hard to match the resolution of the A7 with the A7r when shooting from tripod unless short ( < 1/100s) or long (> 1s) shutter time is used.


Best regards
Erik


Yes it does, not used personally but I see good reports. Due to the greater distance from the sensor the wide R lenses tend to perform much better than the M wides.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Adapter-E-mount-NEX-VG10-Three-Cam/dp/B003Y302BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396286701&sr=8-1&keywords=leica+r+nex+adapter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=leica+r+nex+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aleica+r+nex+adapter

It is unlikely the shutter vibration can be addressed other than by a re-design. Introducing a delay, using a firmware update, between the shutter closing and opening for the exposure would work but introduce a shutter lag which many/most would not find acceptable.
There are ranges of speeds less affected or unaffected by the vibration so it is possible to adapt to accommodate the issue.
Although many sites have covered the issue this is most comprehensive and explores the options.
http://blog.kasson.com/
I regret my answer was not as succinct as your question  ;)
Title: Re: Does the Sony A7r accept Leica R lenses?
Post by: eronald on April 01, 2014, 08:53:22 am
Focusing with the Sony lenses is as good and fast as you'd want.  Canon lenses via the MetaBones adapter is entirely different... hardly usable for fashion.  I haven't done much people with it, but here is a headshot I did for my wife to check skin tones.  Unretouched...

(http://christopherbarrett.net/forum_images/_DSC0411.jpg)

CB

Beautiful lady, beautiful image. Sony should use this as a publicity shot! Which lens was it?
I'd say there is a very very slight hint of the CMOS plastic skin effect, but the color is excellent. A very nice sensor.

Edmund