Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on March 30, 2014, 07:45:42 pm

Title: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Todd Suttles on March 30, 2014, 07:45:42 pm
To anyone who has the time and inclination: Feedback of any kind would be appreciated. I have started working on a collection of shots from a rural dirt race track in North Georgia. This is the first pass; edited down to thirty images so far and have applied the first PP rendering.  This is my first attempt at putting together a collection like this. The situation required ISO 1600+ so working with high ISO is also new to me.

All 30 images available here: http://suttle-images.photoshelter.com/gallery/Tri-County-Project-in-process-comments-welcome/G00001_p2vAinH8g/
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 01, 2014, 12:34:51 am
Excellent documentation, Todd.  I love the last two, and especially the one with the spectators and the trash barrel.  The first one could really use some cars on the track in the BG.
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: brandtb on April 02, 2014, 08:11:23 am
Todd - what a great place - subjects etc..-huge potential That said, I'm not sold on doing this in black and white at all...a whole lot is lost without color...and I don't get anything more out of black and white. That first shot of track in distance, I would like to see the color and misty light coming off the track with maybe some of the blue in the night sky. /B
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Todd Suttles on April 07, 2014, 07:00:39 pm
Excellent documentation, Todd.  I love the last two, and especially the one with the spectators and the trash barrel.  The first one could really use some cars on the track in the BG.

Thanks peter. I bet I have one with cars. I'll see
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Todd Suttles on April 07, 2014, 07:01:58 pm
Todd - what a great place - subjects etc..-huge potential That said, I'm not sold on doing this in black and white at all...a whole lot is lost without color...and I don't get anything more out of black and white. That first shot of track in distance, I would like to see the color and misty light coming off the track with maybe some of the blue in the night sky. /B

Thanks Brandt. I will give color a go
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Todd Suttles on April 08, 2014, 12:11:28 pm
Here are some color images
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Bruce Cox on April 08, 2014, 12:22:35 pm
Here are some color images

Better
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: seamus finn on April 08, 2014, 12:24:04 pm
I think in this case the colour is better. Now, if you could put a car on the track in front of that trio, it would be excellent.
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: brandtb on April 08, 2014, 03:17:27 pm
Todd - I think you could have a really  "nice book/essay out of this"...color def. (the color shot you posted not a great one...yes would be nice to have a car/cars that "they are looking at"...not so interesting by themselves /Brandt
Title: Re: Tri-County Racetrack; Rural North Georgia
Post by: Todd Suttles on April 08, 2014, 05:52:21 pm
Brandtb: I agree the subject is there, but unfortunately I did not have a fast enough lens for the light. Way high ISO, plus the area was like a sand storm; a cloud of dry, red dust (hence the little lady with the umbrella :D)- making the image noise very, very intense. This was shot last year on Memorial day, so I will return this year a little better prepared. Thanks for the encouragement, -t