Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: ikonomov on March 29, 2014, 04:16:05 pm

Title: Site left column ADs
Post by: ikonomov on March 29, 2014, 04:16:05 pm
After the new beautiful and simple site layout the left column of the page that is reserved for ads takes about 1/4 vertical space.  I understand how important it is to have the site funded but having the ads stuffed up in our throats is infuriating.  Please move the ads to the right side, to the top, or to the bottom, so that if a browser window is sized narrower we don't have to scroll sideways to view the articles.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: kaelaria on March 31, 2014, 12:18:28 am
lol what are you on a 10 year old computer?
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: ikonomov on March 31, 2014, 12:31:23 am
I'm on a screen with 2560x1440 resolution, using Chrome set at 150% zoom.  My browser window is never maximized, and its size is usually set according to the width of most of the other websites I visit on regular basis.  The total width of the left column for the ads plus the width of the main content on the right is definitely more than what most other websites have, which forces me to scroll to the right or adjust my browser window.  Ultimately this is not a good design, no matter the device or resolution on which somebody is viewing the site.  The visual emphasis is on the ads, and not on the content, which I would think is simple enough for most people that visit this website to understand.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: kaelaria on March 31, 2014, 12:35:01 am
So you choose to bump up your magnification and work with a scrunched window.  Yeah, THAT'S the fault of the website...don't expect people to design for those with non-standard habits.  I'm on a tiny chromebook right now and it's perfect.  Its also perfect on my mobile devices, and any window on my desktop.  You are the weird one, it's not the site.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on March 31, 2014, 12:35:14 am
The visual emphasis is on the ads, and not on the content, which I would think is simple enough for most people that visit this website to understand.

Uh huh...and what do you think the advertisers are spending money for? Right side ads that could be hidden? Really? I guess you are new around here...the alternative for ads would be subscriptions to view the site. You really wanna go there?

Look, if you don't like the site as is, I suggest you demand your money back....wait, oh yeah, LuLa is free to view. Hum, looks like you are getting your money's worth, don't ya think?
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: ikonomov on March 31, 2014, 12:58:28 am
Maybe the new site is built using a template.  I visit hundreds of websites every day as most of us do, and I don't pay for a subscription to any of them.  If there was the same issue with another site I would have noticed.  In fact I have never wrote a criticism of the design on ANY website.  The fact that I have done so here should suggest that I care deeply for the site, and my hope is that it would serve to improve the experience for all of us here.  Having ads on any of the other 3 sides of the page would not hide them in any way.  It might influence how many clicks the visitors make, but at least I have stated here my opinion that I think it is too much.  And yes, I'm the weird one, but aren't we all.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on March 31, 2014, 02:20:58 am
Maybe the new site is built using a template.

Guess you missed the discussions about the difficulties of putting the mass of legacy editorial going back over a decade into a web site that makes all the old and new content equally available.

No, sorry bud, you have no clue about how to manage a massive web site...and other sites that started more recently have neither the legacy nor content to offer. Again, deal with it or move on. Your choice...you are tilting at windmills...what you want ain't gonna happen.

Not for nothing but considering your first post was a complaint about the web site, I personally don't think you've paid nearly enough dues to have a legitimate complaint...,maybe if you spend some time on the forums, you'll realize just how petty your complaint comes across. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth :~)

So what if there are a few cavities...
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: jeremyrh on March 31, 2014, 02:42:39 am
As has been pointed out before, LuLa readers are not customers, they are product, neatly packaged and sold to advertisers. So there is no need to care for them to avoid them taking their subscription money elsewhere. But there is a need to care for them as one cares for any other live product - so that it grows fat and fetches a good price at market.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: ikonomov on March 31, 2014, 02:53:43 am
I suppose this last post is the official stance.  Yes, indeed, how rude of me.  It is as good answer as any, and "spending time on the forums" or paying "enough dues" is not needed for my simple observation.  I appreciate the enormous amount of information that has been presented on the site, and I have been following it since the beginning, if 10 years is the number.  My post here seems to be inappropriate for this forum, it just seems another technological trap that we encounter begging the question who is in control.  I'm sure it will be resolved in time, and we'll just have to ride along for the time being.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Jim Pascoe on March 31, 2014, 06:11:08 am
I suppose this last post is the official stance.  Yes, indeed, how rude of me.  It is as good answer as any, and "spending time on the forums" or paying "enough dues" is not needed for my simple observation.  I appreciate the enormous amount of information that has been presented on the site, and I have been following it since the beginning, if 10 years is the number.  My post here seems to be inappropriate for this forum, it just seems another technological trap that we encounter begging the question who is in control.  I'm sure it will be resolved in time, and we'll just have to ride along for the time being.

What Schewe is trying to say is that we know the site is not perfect but the layout is a compromise.  The site needs to be able to house a lot of legacy stuff, plus it needs to make money from advertisers.  The new layout was discussed to death a while back and it is what it is.  Because of that fresh criticism is not going to be well received and we all learn to get along with the layout as it is.  Because LuLa is well-loved it feels like we all own a bit of it - which we don't.  Some of us support it by paying for tutorials etc.  Do you?  The site has become more commercial - not a good thing, but people need to earn a crust.  We all like free stuff don't we?
Schewe does tend to shoot from the hip with his comments - but if you read the forums you will see that he has a lot of constructive stuff to say.

Jim
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: daws on April 02, 2014, 12:21:08 am
...Please move the ads to the right side, to the top, or to the bottom, so that if a browser window is sized narrower we don't have to scroll sideways to view the articles.

I dunno, for me it works fine as is. Home page pops on; if I don't want to see the ads, I scroll right -- takes what, a half second? I'm usually gonna scroll down anyway to frame any new photo or to see if there's a new article; if not, I click on "Forum."*shrug* Easy.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: darr on April 03, 2014, 10:27:30 pm
If the OP is zooming to 150%, he may be visually impaired; I would not be too mean to him (just saying). I have no problem viewing this site on multiple formats. A couple of years ago, I went back to school and got a degree to become a TVI (teacher for the visually impaired), and he does make a point that the screen scrolling would not be a hassle if the advertisements were on the right, but my guess is they are strategically placed on the left for the reason the OP is having a problem: they are the first thing you see. We are trained to read left to right. And yes of course this is a free site, but you have to be careful how you treat the population of those with impairments.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on April 04, 2014, 12:45:56 am
....but my guess is they are strategically placed on the left for the reason the OP is having a problem: they are the first thing you see.

Actually, that's not the case. The reason why the fixed size left column is there is that allows editorial to flow off the right side. This site has many, many years of editorial with various formatting. Allowing the editorial to flow out to the left allows the various formatting to fit on the page. And, it the OP is visually impaired, he should have said so...I didn't get that read at all. All I read was pissing&moaning about having to see the ads and scroll for the editorial.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: dreed on April 04, 2014, 02:05:19 am
As has been pointed out before, LuLa readers are not customers, they are product, neatly packaged and sold to advertisers. So there is no need to care for them to avoid them taking their subscription money elsewhere. But there is a need to care for them as one cares for any other live product - so that it grows fat and fetches a good price at market.

It was not always that way and even still, this website produces and sells product that is "home grown" to help fund itself - unlike many others.

I imagine that if the home grown produce became self sustaining that the advertising would again become less important and potentially disappear, but maybe that is dreaming.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on April 04, 2014, 02:34:07 am
...but maybe that is dreaming.

Yes, it is...it the totality of the revenue that rules...ideally in a manner that is not totally obtrusive to users but if some find it too obtrusive, they are free to quit visiting the site any time they want. If you want to bring about positive change, nothing in this thread is in the least bit useful. Positive criticism goes a lot further than piss&moan™ complaining...ya know?
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: hjulenissen on April 04, 2014, 03:43:29 am
I do believe that finding the _right_ mix between offering stuff for "free" (reviews, articles,...) and capitalizing on the users through ads etc is an art. If you can find a system where you provide something useful to people without them being annoyed, while still making money, you are on to something.

Simply claiming that "our service is for free, so you have to live with whatever we throw at you" may be correct, but it may not make much sense.

-h
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: kaelaria on April 04, 2014, 10:29:52 pm
Some of you are missing the point.  He's on a HUGE monitor and is CHOOSING to use a small browser window.  USE A BIGGER BROWSER WINDOW solves 100% of the problem.  It's 100% user created 'problem' so screw him.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on April 05, 2014, 01:10:45 am
Simply claiming that "our service is for free, so you have to live with whatever we throw at you" may be correct, but it may not make much sense.

It makes perfect sense...this website is an amalgamation of over a decade of editorial content (some still as fresh and useful as the day it was written) that have had a variety of web site formatting made to it...without going back and completely redesigning and reediting all that content, there is no friggin' way to keep that stuff live and available except within a very tight web design constraint. The guy who does the web work (Mark Guertin) has done a really remarkable job of designing the current LuLa web site to preserve all of the legacy content without having to go back and edit prolly thousands of pages.

The bottom line is, the current web site design (such as it is) is the best that Mark, Mike & Chris have been able to come up with after spending lots of time and money. From my point of view, I have little to zero tolerance for people looking a gift horse in the mouth and complaining about the teeth. You don't like it, lump it or go someplace else that tickle's your fancy...there's a world wide web out there for you to search and find what you think you want. If you don't find it, LuLa will still be here plugging along.

Seriously, if you don't like it here, don't come here...

And to me, it makes perfect sense that Mike (and now Kevin) and Mark & Chris do what they do to the best of their abilities...if you don't like it, please leave. I'm getting tired of listening to the whining. (note, this is my opinion and should not be confused with the opinions of the owners of this site–although I suspect I'm not too far off, maybe a bit more forward in my approach).
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: LKaven on April 05, 2014, 10:02:24 am
While I don't think the OP was tactful in his choice of words, in the end, it was to raise a question about design and ergonomics.  He didn't question the need for ads or ad revenue.  And he had nothing but praise for the site's content.  No reason why such questions can't be dealt with in stride. 
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: JeanMichel on April 05, 2014, 12:23:25 pm
Hi,
Just a short note to simply say thank you to the Luminous-Landscape team for providing this site, and for the various tutorials, etc. The articles in that site were most helpful to me when I decided to 'go digital' some years ago.
Again, thank you.
Jean-Michel
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: David Mantripp on April 10, 2014, 01:15:19 pm
You know, there's a perfectly simple solution to this. Safari has a "Reader" feature that discards everything but the article and lets you read it unbothered by the intentions of the site designer / publisher. I suppose Chrome and most other browsers have similar features, either built-in or as plugins. Problem solved - and without upsetting the advertisers.

It would be nice if it also had a feature to blank out the unbelievably rude and offensive comments from Michael's self-appointed Rottweiler too. Especially as such example seems to lead forum visitors to believe they've been granted licence to tell others to f*** off. I'm sure that really impresses advertisers....
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Farmer on April 10, 2014, 04:54:47 pm
You can ignore any user you want - the forum has that fucntionality.  No need to complain, just take action.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: daws on April 10, 2014, 07:02:57 pm
It would be nice if it also had a feature to blank out the unbelievably rude and offensive comments from Michael's self-appointed Rottweiler too. Especially as such example seems to lead forum visitors to believe they've been granted licence to tell others to f*** off. I'm sure that really impresses advertisers....
You can ignore any user you want - the forum has that fucntionality.  No need to complain, just take action.

Yep. Just go to Profile | Modify Profile | Personal Message Options. Type in the name of the user you want to ignore, spelled exactly as it appears in the forum, click "Change profile," and voila! Instant relief. Faster than antacid tablets, with no unpleasant aftertaste.

 ;)
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: LKaven on April 10, 2014, 07:37:27 pm
So we can all just ignore each other?  What happened to working out issues socially for the good of the many?
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 11, 2014, 11:07:38 am
You know, there's a perfectly simple solution to this. Safari has a "Reader" feature that discards everything but the article and lets you read it unbothered by the intentions of the site designer / publisher...

I second that. Which one would you rather look at:
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: daws on April 11, 2014, 05:48:49 pm
So we can all just ignore each other?  What happened to working out issues socially for the good of the many?

The "Ignore" function exists so that the many don't have to suffer the issues of the unsocial few.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: LKaven on April 11, 2014, 06:19:11 pm
The "Ignore" function exists so that the many don't have to suffer the issues of the unsocial few.

I do understand this, even if I have mixed feelings about its use.  It's probably more a question of the few not having to suffer the pain of the few.  Once the many get involved, the perpetrator is going to get sanctioned.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: daws on April 11, 2014, 08:03:44 pm
I do understand this, even if I have mixed feelings about its use.

Somewhat mitigating the downside of the Ignore function is that the Ignoree is gone but not forgotten: the Ignorer sees a placeholder for the Ignoree's post, and is given the option to "Click here to read this post."


Once the many get involved, the perpetrator is going to get sanctioned.

True enough -- unless the perpetrator is a top dog in a site's administration, in which case the many are told to Like It Or Leave It.  ;)
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: LKaven on April 11, 2014, 08:30:09 pm
True enough -- unless the perpetrator is a top dog in a site's administration, in which case the many are told to Like It Or Leave It.  ;)

HA!  Good one.
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: Schewe on April 11, 2014, 10:07:57 pm
True enough -- unless the perpetrator is a top dog in a site's administration, in which case the many are told to Like It Or Leave It.  ;)

If you are referring to me, then your characterization on my involvement in this site's admin is wonky. I'm not a site admin...I make no money from the LuLa website other than a percent of the video tutorials I do with the site admins. If you think I have magical powers here on LuLa, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in the forums, I'm just a regular "Joe". One that doesn't take shyte from anybody and gives as good as I get. If you think I have more "freedom" than other posting here, I'm pretty sure you are wrong other than the fact I'm pretty good at getting right up to the line without crossing it. Some people don't exhibit that skill and get yelled at.

Yeah, Mike, Chris and Kev are friends...does that get me a little more leeway? Not that I'm aware of. For the most part, everybody here lives in a pretty unmoderated environment unless you cross the line and go over the top.

Sorry, but somebody posting their first post on the forums complaining about advertising does deserve kid gloves from me. You go back and tell me exactly where I said anything derogatory other than point out the OP's first post was an ill mannered complaint. I call things as I see them...sorry (not really) if you don't like that. You know what you can do about it :~)
Title: Re: Site left column ADs
Post by: tom b on April 11, 2014, 11:21:54 pm
4 Chrome Extensions To Make Web Pages Easy To Read
 (http://www.maketecheasier.com/4-chrome-extensions-to-make-web-pages-easy-to-read/)

Cheers,