Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on March 28, 2014, 01:50:04 am

Title: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: Harald L on March 28, 2014, 01:50:04 am
Seen in Dunedin NZ on a rare sunny evening. Seems to work in BW and color as well. What do you think?

Harald
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: francois on March 28, 2014, 03:58:27 am
No preference, both are equally good in my opinion.
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: stamper on March 28, 2014, 05:15:34 am
 I agree with francois except I would add a little more contrast to the B&W. This is one instance where both renderings are fine. I quite like this kind of image despite there being no obvious focal point.  :)
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: mbaginy on March 28, 2014, 07:43:56 am
I prefer the b&w image.  The color image is a tad cool (blue) in the shadows.
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: RSL on March 28, 2014, 09:35:46 am
+1. Even if you balance the color the B&W is better.
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: Jagatai on March 29, 2014, 09:08:59 am
I think it depends upon what you are going for in the shot.  The color one shows the individuality of each house by it colors.  It makes me want to look at various houses to examine each one's unique details.  The black and white one makes them all a pattern and my eye isn't as strongly drawn from one house to another.

My preference is for the black and white because I tend to like patterns over details (and I'm more of a black and white guy anyway) but they both have their merits.
Title: Re: Dunedin (NZ) - Color or BW
Post by: RSL on March 29, 2014, 09:12:30 am
Exactly. The picture is about the graphics of the scene. That kind of picture always is better in B&W.