Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ripgriffith on March 26, 2014, 10:01:51 am
-
What, if any are the downsides of an electronic first shutter? I use the one on my Sony a65 almost exclusively, mostly to avoid vibration. Any thoughts, LLrs?
-
What, if any are the downsides of an electronic first shutter?
for example from A7 manual
When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off].
When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.
-
for example from A7 manual
Do you think these issues are generic to electronic first shutters, or specific to the A7?
-
Can't comment on A7 specifically (I shoot Canon), but I usually use live view when on tripod because of EFC. I'll generally compose with the viewfinder (to save battery juice) then switch to live view for the shot. Not only serves as mirror lock-up but uses EFC, so no movement other than the diaphragm until the exposure is ended. I've always wondered why electronic shutters have not become the norm - I used to assume it was a speed issue, but then the Nikon 1 came out with faster shutter speeds on electronic than mechanical (1/10,000 vs 1/4000), so that's not it. If anyone knows what the advantages of mechanical shutters are, I'd like to know.
-
It can ruin image (uneven illuminance and/or distracting out-of-focus areas) on large aperture lens with slow mechanical aperture link.
In case of A7 - with LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 and Sony-A mount lens.
Photogs on Dyxum reported that in rare cases it can be found with long tele-lens like 200-500 Tamron or 4.5/400 Minolta AND 1/2000 and faster shutter speed. Depends greatly on lens mechanical design (like long mechanical aperture link) and wear.