Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 25, 2014, 04:14:09 pm

Title: Urban Fisherman
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 25, 2014, 04:14:09 pm
On an evening stroll today and keeping on practising flash.
There were two guys with the fishing-rod and the buddy of the fisher instantly mutated into a lighting assistant,
holding the off-camera flash on the tripod high up to get the desired light while the fisher was a great model.
Nice guys they were.
The series has three images in my Flickr photostream set "Life in Hamburg" (https://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/sets/72157642915898245).
Cheers
~Chris



Urban Fisherman No.1

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/13411033185_47042f8446_o.jpg) (https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/13411033185_47042f8446_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Urban Fisherman
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 27, 2014, 02:35:15 am
Urban Fisherman No.2

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/13411031365_dde9359d4c_o.jpg) (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/13411031365_dde9359d4c_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Urban Fisherman
Post by: mal mcilwraith on March 28, 2014, 04:23:23 pm
Urban Fisherman No.2

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/13411031365_dde9359d4c_o.jpg) (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/13411031365_dde9359d4c_o.jpg)

There are others here whose opinion is more solidly founded - but as a fellow photog, I find the composition is sound, the colour/light delightful and the filigree of winter trees atmospheric.

The fill flash also adds to the image rather than detracts, so all in all I think it is a sound image.


Mal
Title: Re: Urban Fisherman
Post by: Jagatai on March 29, 2014, 09:12:04 am
The composition of #2 works better for me but I like the sense of action in the blur of #1.
Title: Re: Urban Fisherman
Post by: RSL on March 29, 2014, 09:16:35 am
Unfortunately the action is in the background trees rather than in the fisherman casting his line.

Interesting shot, Chris. I like the way you dialed down the fill. In a situation like that it's always tempting to overdo it so that when you look at the picture you immediately think, "flash picture."
Title: Re:
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 31, 2014, 05:30:59 pm
Thanks! Indeed, I tried hard to keep it down. l could have taken the shot entirely without flash at a higher ISO but I wanted the warm light.
Cheers
~ Chris