Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on March 21, 2014, 12:09:36 pm

Title: Portrait prize
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 21, 2014, 12:09:36 pm
from Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-21/national-photographic-portrait-prize-2014/5334394
Title: Re: Portrait prize
Post by: petermfiore on March 21, 2014, 01:08:54 pm
I like it. Would you care to go on the record?

Peter
Title: Re: Portrait prize
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 21, 2014, 02:46:14 pm
I like the winner very much. The others are surprisingly diverse.
Title: Re: Portrait prize
Post by: louoates on March 21, 2014, 05:44:42 pm
Very good work. Makes me want to take more portraits.
Title: Re: Portrait prize
Post by: wmchauncey on March 23, 2014, 08:43:20 am
Funny...I always thought that a portrait photographer's goal was to make his subject appear somewhat attractive.
If my assumption is correct, then I would submit that these "artists" failed miserably...as well as the panel's judgment.
I would admit that sometimes the subject matter creates a chasm that any artist cannot dig fast enough to extricate himself from the pit.      ;D
Title: Re: Portrait prize
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on March 23, 2014, 12:45:34 pm
Funny...I always thought that a portrait photographer's goal was to make his subject appear somewhat attractive.

Hi,

Not really. A painting or other picture of a person, especially the head and shoulders, is all that's required to qualify. Of course, when shot in commission, making the subject look favorable may help getting paid, but it's more about capturing 'character' and personality. 

Cheers,
Bart