Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: RobSaecker on March 19, 2014, 08:39:56 pm
-
I just bought a box of Canson Rag Photographique Duo; it came in a bag with a “Print face up” sticker on it, and it has different textures on the opposite sides. Not quite what I expected, I’m just wondering if it’s possible that it’s actually the single sided version mis-boxed.
-
I've never used the Duo but anything is possible.
Perhaps giving Canson a call is in order? They've been very helpful in the past. 1-800-628-9283
I'll dig up my Canson swatch book that I know has a sample of that.
-
A long while ago I obtained some Moab Entrada double sided, and there is definitely a difference in texture between the two sides. I've no experience with the Canson though. You could also try the moist fingertip test - a coated side will probably seem a little "tacky" (for want of a better description) but an uncoated side shouldn't.
-
I checked my reference set. Both sides of the 220 weight look about the same on my paper.
-
It is possible that it could be labeled as the single sided version. From what Rawcoll mentioned to verify it would be the best option. If the sides do look a bit different, chances are that it was miss labeled. It would be best to verify with Canson directly or contact the place that you bought it from if it was someplace else. They may need the batch/lot # to make sure the rest are not like that and would send a replacement. Canson should assist you directly if needed.
-
Thanks all for the responses. Both sides seem similarly tacky to me, and the surface difference is more subtle than my first impression. You have to have very directional light to see it, which is what I had yesterday, afternoon sunlight through a west window. Probably needless concern, but I’ll contact Canson just to be sure.
-
Give it a try (on both sides)!
No way a single side coated paper will have same image quality (sharpness and saturation) on both sides.
About the somehow different texture on the two sides, it is a unavoidable reality on thick papers made on Cylinder mould machines. As the pulp is caught by the cylinder to form the paper, the cylinder texture is imprinted on the back of the paper (the surface of the cylinder is actually a metal colander) while the front texture of the paper is determined by the type of fabric to which the pulp is transfered to. Later on the textures may be smoothed if the paper is hot pressed, but it will never be exactly the same on both sides.
Edit: Rag Photographique is not mould made, no mould cylinder. It is made on a Fourdrinier machine, but the idea is the same: one side gets the texture of the wire imprinted on it.
Best regards.
-
Hahnemühle Photo Rag Duo is also a little different on each side.
Brian A