Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on March 16, 2014, 12:50:48 pm

Title: Underneath
Post by: Todd Suttles on March 16, 2014, 12:50:48 pm
Am hoping this image can evoke the sense of peace, security and tranquility that I felt at the scene itself. Forthright C&C appreciated as always, Thanks, -t
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 16, 2014, 12:52:12 pm
Beautiful shot !
I'd work a bit on the snow texture and local contrast.
There much potential more hidden in this image.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: Todd Suttles on March 16, 2014, 03:18:32 pm
Beautiful shot !
I'd work a bit on the snow texture and local contrast.
There much potential more hidden in this image.
Cheers
~Chris

Thanks Chris, are either of these going in the right direction?
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 16, 2014, 04:45:07 pm
Thanks Chris, are either of these going in the right direction?

I can't tell you what is the "right" direction, since its not my image.
But I think the now structure in the second is a good step ahead.
The first of the two edits is quite darker, which I sort of like,
but I'd try to keep the snow as bright as possible without losing structure -
like you did in the second edit.

So - maybe a mix of both?

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: brandtb on March 17, 2014, 07:37:46 am
Todd - I don't get the
Quote
sense of peace, security and tranquility
from anything in the image - but it has some nice visual/graphic elements. The horizontal array of pine needle sprays and the vertical trunk with the lichens....these have potential for making a good photograph...something to think about for future winter days.  /Brandt
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: RSL on March 17, 2014, 09:12:44 am
What I see is an interesting graphical construct -- very decorative. But having been brought up in Michigan, and having spent several years in Montana and southern Canada, rather than a feeling of peace, security and tranquility, I get a feeling of freezing my buns off.
Title: Re: Underneath
Post by: Todd Suttles on March 17, 2014, 02:45:03 pm
Thanks all for the input, much appreciated. Clearly I did not re-create the feeling I was projecting onto the scene and trying to express; snow in Atlanta, Georgia is a rarity and evokes emotions obviously not felt by those familiar with it. Anyhow, thanks for all the critique and input. This is the final PP version I think. Time to move on unless someone should have a strong feeling one way or another to improve it in PP. Thanks again, -t