Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jagatai on March 15, 2014, 04:37:00 pm

Title: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: Jagatai on March 15, 2014, 04:37:00 pm
Here are a couple that have a mysterious quality that I like.
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 15, 2014, 05:02:55 pm
"Painterly," in a very nice way. The first one has an especially fine mood.
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 15, 2014, 05:06:27 pm
"Painterly," in a very nice way. The first one has an especially fine mood.

+1 - well done.
What was capture what was post if I may ask?

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: Jagatai on March 15, 2014, 06:34:55 pm
+1 - well done.
What was capture what was post if I may ask?

Cheers
~Chris
Thanks.  They were finished in Lightroom and the only modifications to the images consisted of adjustments to saturation, highlights and shadows etc.  Granted here they were more extreme than I usually do.  The images, unmodified, are rather flat and grey.

I did bring one into Photoshop with the idea of covering up a couple of ugly buildings with trees, but I find I just can't bring myself to do that kind of alteration on my personal work.  I'll do things like spotting or cropping, and certainly here the levels are pushed pretty far, but I really don't like to modify the objects in the scene.
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 16, 2014, 03:07:26 am
Thanks.  They were finished in Lightroom and the only modifications to the images consisted of adjustments to saturation, highlights and shadows etc.  Granted here they were more extreme than I usually do.  The images, unmodified, are rather flat and grey.

I did bring one into Photoshop with the idea of covering up a couple of ugly buildings with trees, but I find I just can't bring myself to do that kind of alteration on my personal work.  I'll do things like spotting or cropping, and certainly here the levels are pushed pretty far, but I really don't like to modify the objects in the scene.

Thanks for the info.
Seeing you used highlight and shadow sliders extensively I am happy to see that
you managed to keep halos down to a bearable and very non-disturbing level.
Well done !
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: francois on March 16, 2014, 11:24:38 am
…I did bring one into Photoshop with the idea of covering up a couple of ugly buildings with trees, but I find I just can't bring myself to do that kind of alteration on my personal work.  I'll do things like spotting or cropping, and certainly here the levels are pushed pretty far, but I really don't like to modify the objects in the scene.

Good job, I like them both. Never feel that you have to go beyond your comfort zone to please people…
Title: Re: Arroyo Seco just south of the Rose Bowl
Post by: brandtb on March 17, 2014, 07:43:46 am
The first has some really great qualities...very nice.  I would look at it with an 1/8th cropped off top, and an 1/6th cropped of right side...and see if it adds "focus" to the scene...that space above and to the right...I don't think is essential or necessary.  /Brandt