Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: huguito on March 14, 2014, 04:27:52 pm

Title: How to Profile thin or translucent papaer or canvas
Post by: huguito on March 14, 2014, 04:27:52 pm
I will receive soon a few sheets of a japanse paper made by Moab, the name is Unryu.

The paper is very translucent, how do you make a profile of translucent or very thin media?
I am thinking of placing the printed target in top of a known paper, lets say something very white, and use the same paper as a back for the print when framing or displaying.

Is there any other way to profile a translucent media, paper or canvas?

Hugo
Title: Re: How to Profile thin or translucent papaer or canvas
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on March 14, 2014, 04:36:30 pm
That is exactly what I do with thin Japanese papers from Awagami, profiled with a white paper as base and mount the same way.
Title: Re: How to Profile thin or translucent papaer or canvas
Post by: huguito on March 14, 2014, 04:56:07 pm
Thanks Geraldo,
Have you tried the paper I mentioned?
Title: Re: How to Profile thin or translucent papaer or canvas
Post by: Royce Howland on March 14, 2014, 05:54:29 pm
I have used Moab Unryu paper (actually made by Awagami), and really enjoy it for certain projects. I profiled it exactly the way you describe, putting a white surface below it (foam core, in my case) which is then kept consistent when I mount the finished prints.
Title: Re: How to Profile thin or translucent papaer or canvas
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on March 14, 2014, 10:21:59 pm
Have you tried the paper I mentioned?
If this paper is made by Awagami as Royce said, it is probably the same Awagami Unryu 55gsm that I use: http://www.awagami.com/aijp/products/details/products/aijp/unryu.html
Beautiful paper with lots of fibers, the gamut is small and the contrast is low, but with the right image it can be perfect. I tend to use it more with art reproduction, but it can work with the right type of photo as well.

Best regards.