Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on March 13, 2014, 08:20:08 pm

Title: The snow must go on
Post by: armand on March 13, 2014, 08:20:08 pm
The day prior the branches were all grey, waiting for the spring bloom. Overnight however, after 6+ inches this is the result.
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: armand on March 13, 2014, 08:21:10 pm
And few more. All these are in my backyard.
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 13, 2014, 08:29:03 pm
At least the sky is blue...

Jeremy
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 14, 2014, 06:34:19 am
There appear to be some odd colour casts on a few of these (specially the first set)
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: armand on March 14, 2014, 08:56:52 am
Most if not all are ooc jpeg from a Fujifilm X-E1. I liked the creative auto WB in some of them so I didn't change it by using the raw. If you see them separate from the rest it might not look that obvious.


As for the blue sky, that was later in the day. I will admit though, while this winter has been harsh (that's I'm told as I moved here in the summer) it wasn't the usual Ohio or western Massachusetts winter with gloomy cloudy days, we had plenty of sun (and cold).


PS. Another reason for the WB is that the first 2 were shot from inside, too lazy to go out initially.
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on March 14, 2014, 03:58:33 pm
they were all a blur to me except the last in both posts.
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: armand on March 14, 2014, 04:31:31 pm
they were all a blur to me except the last in both posts.

Can you elaborate?
Title: Re: The snow must go on
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on March 14, 2014, 07:36:56 pm
the formers have little contrast, and make it less interesting to draw in the eye.
There is no balance consideration, well the second image has some compositional quality to it, low contrast.
I have seen low contrast images that work, but these are more like "study" images to me.

Having said that, it must have been beautiful to be there, and I certainly would have taken some snaps to remember it.
Also consider a point of interest. If its not in the subject, let it be in the process. If not in the process, maybe something else