Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RobbieV on March 12, 2014, 02:55:41 pm

Title: Ice storm selections
Post by: RobbieV on March 12, 2014, 02:55:41 pm
Hej everyone. It's been a while as I didn't feel like I had much worth sharing here.

I've selected a couple from an ice storm that has passed a couple of months ago.


(http://ppcdn.500px.org/58300338/12a9b232d91e7007173277877fb8e44c1bc1d952/2048.jpg)









(http://ppcdn.500px.org/56836540/d083a458a5a43a00e0cca21793e142642daee9bf/2048.jpg)










(http://ppcdn.500px.org/56836526/e7478a890dbaa2ad381f6ca61b5f64a533602c81/2048.jpg)









(http://ppcdn.500px.org/62519565/7d14941ca5c74b38fe2a610cf17db93c69035490/2048.jpg)

Thanks for looking.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 12, 2014, 03:44:09 pm
2-1-4-3 for me, but all are nice images.
2 is magic in its simplicity.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 12, 2014, 08:10:27 pm
I'd go 3-1-2-4, but they're all nice.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: cjogo on March 12, 2014, 08:40:58 pm
All nicely seen ~!  good eye all around ....
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: armand on March 12, 2014, 09:22:51 pm
Really nice! I know I tried something like it this year but I didn't get something as good as yours.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: luxborealis on March 12, 2014, 09:24:58 pm
Love #1. Tighter cropping at 1:1 might further strengthen the presentation.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: francois on March 13, 2014, 05:46:59 am
For me it's: 1-4-3-2 but they all say Winter!
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: brandtb on March 13, 2014, 02:52:33 pm
R - the first three are nice...although I would look at the third without such a close crop  - little too tight for me. /B
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: WalterEG on March 13, 2014, 02:58:40 pm
I envy you being in an area treated to such variations in nature and I applaud you for braving the elements and engaging in the world in uncomfortable and demanding circumstances.  A fine array of reactions to what you encountered.

Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: RobbieV on March 14, 2014, 02:45:45 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I can I ask you to go further into your comments and maybe give some explanations?

For example, I realize now (especially as I look at them all together) that #3 is oddly cropped. It's strange I didn't catch it sooner. I knew it was an unorthodox crop, but now it just feels uncomfortable to me.

I'd like to know more about your thoughts behind your reasoning for either choosing the one you felt was better or why you felt one was worse. I appreciate the nice comments, but some more constructive criticism is always welcome.


Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: Jagatai on March 14, 2014, 03:22:02 pm
I think they are all solid shots, but the one that I really like is the last; the wide shot of the tree within the landscape.  It has a strong sense of the solitude and loneliness of the frozen environment.  The black and white treatment really helps emphasize the feeling of isolation.

The close ups are good, but I find them less emotionally engaging.  They are interesting examples of what happens to things in an ice storm, but they don't leave me with any particular feeling.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: armand on March 14, 2014, 03:35:52 pm
I particularly like the colors in the first and the composition in the last.
The second is really good in its simplicity and technically very well executed but somehow feels less out of ordinary if that makes any sense.
The third technically is really good but that's about it.
Title: Re: Ice storm selections
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on March 14, 2014, 03:53:48 pm
2. Interesting subject, but missing composition. due to ice like this in nature being somewhat new to me, I really like the subject.
3. The ice makes it interesting.
4. Nothing interesting except for the subject as in the first image
1. I like this one. (but ranked the others)