Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mark Lindquist on March 09, 2014, 05:43:07 pm

Title: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 09, 2014, 05:43:07 pm
Just curious - anyone using OSX 10.9 Mavericks?

Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Garnick on March 09, 2014, 06:31:49 pm
Hi Mark,

Although I'm not using Mavericks yet, I did post an inquiry a couple of months ago concerning printing from 10.9 to the 9900.  I received a couple of replies which indicated no major issues.  One fellow mentioned something about an "expand" option in the driver dialog that he couldn't turn off, but it didn't seem to cause a problem either.  Sorry I can't provide more information, but I imagine you'll get a few more in depth replies and I'll be following this thread as well. 

Gary
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 09, 2014, 07:07:42 pm
I am. I've been using it since it was released
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: matoqui on March 09, 2014, 07:12:37 pm
Me too.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: na goodman on March 09, 2014, 07:21:18 pm
I had to get a new computer and it came with Mavericks. No problems with any Epson printers or scanners,
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Tom Montgomery on March 09, 2014, 08:02:48 pm
I have an iMac running Mavericks (10.9.2). No problems with Lightroom, Photoshop, my Epson 4900, Wacom tablet, scanner, card reader...  I did make sure to download and install new versions of all applications rather than porting them over from my old machine.  I also had to replace the old Xrite i1 calibrator with the newer i1 Display, however.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 10, 2014, 07:29:14 am
I switched to Mavericks a couple of months ago on my printing iMac, and I was surprised to have no problems at all with my Epson 3800 drivers.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: kers on March 10, 2014, 08:15:25 am
I am on a macpro 2008 and i like Mavericks for a few reasons over 10.6.8

better finder- works better with large amounts of files.
Thumbnails are rendered far more quickly.
it zips parts of the ram you do not use directly so in a way you can use more ram than you have installed.
On a laptop it works longer on the accu.
and- it is more secure- some programs do not get upgraded for use in 10.6 ; Apple drops support of 10.6

problem1 - since 10.6.8 my pCI esata card is not working anymore...
problem2: you cannot synchronize you contacts and calendar from your iPhone locally - Apple forces you to use iCloud- the only way to do it locally is to use the OSX server. that cost 20$ or something so after all OSX9 is not free.
(Apparantly they want your data...)

Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: BobShaw on March 10, 2014, 04:45:33 pm
We did a survey on another forum and most replies were on Mavericks. I did not migrate straight away but am vey happy now. Just make sure you rid of all old print drivers, but that was worse on Mountain Lion.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 10, 2014, 05:46:28 pm
It seems that many have a problem when they leave 10.6.  For many this was with 10.7.  Once you get past 10.6, additional upgrades seem to affect very few.  so some that skipped 10.7 had some issues when they installed 10.8, and for those moving from 10.6 to 10.9 very likely could have some issues.  The answer is usually a complete cleanout/reset (http://www.cwaynefox.com/wordpress/epson-printers-and-lion-and-leopard-and-snow-leopard/) of the printing system.(or do what I did with my new mac, I just started form scratch and reinstalled all apps and drivers.  Amazing how much junk accumulates in computers through OS upgrades over the years).

I had to do this 10.6- 10.7, but not since.

I will add that many of the problems are actually the result from apple updating software and the Apple supplied Epson update running.  This will toast your epson professional printer drivers.  Make sure you don’t run those updates. I had one client who did this and everything I tried failed ... the only thing that work backing up the drive, wiping the startup disk, and starting from scratch. ( I think there were some serious other issues with his system however, so this was just one problem he was having.)
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: tastar on March 10, 2014, 09:35:16 pm
We posted the following opinion of Mavericks on our website.

Tony

Upgrade to Mavericks - You Get What You Pay For!

We do a lot of Mac support in our shop - and felt that we needed to voice our opinion about this operating system.

Why to like it:

It's a free upgrade for Mac users running OS X 10.6 and above. And Macs built in 2007 and newer will run the operating system.

On relatively new Macs, it actually seems like it's a good system - like on Macs that were originally sold with OS 10.7 or 10.8 installed. And, it provides new features for home users that improve iPhone and iPad integration.

Why not to like it:

If you have an older Mac and/or older peripherals, it will probably break something. Some examples:

•External USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt drives can lose their data when plugged into a computer running Mavericks. There is no fix to recover the lost data.

•The Mavericks OS, running on older iMacs and MacBook Pros, too frequently boots to a black or white screen with just a cursor. The fix is to wipe the computer and re-install the operating system and everything else that was running on it.

•Mavericks doesn't support older printers or scanners. One fix is to install Parallels or Fusion and run older programs and drivers in Windows. Neither Parallels, Fusion nor Windows are free programs. Another fix is to buy new printers and scanners - they aren't free either.

•Mavericks has a significant color management bugs in Safari and in professional applications including Aperture and Lightroom. As of today, there aren't fixes for these problems.

Our recommendation - if you have an older Mac and you want to upgrade your operating system, pay 19.95 for the upgrade to 10.8, and forget about upgrading to OS X Mavericks. You'll more than likely find that it will be a less expensive choice. You still might have compatibility issues with older peripherals or software, since, like Mavericks, 10.8 doesn't support Rosetta. But, you won't have data loss, re-installation or color management issues.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 11, 2014, 07:47:36 pm
Good to hear many of you are using Mavericks succesfully.  I did an upgrade install 2 weeks ago.  No go - many crashes.  The did a fresh install on a 4 TB Hitachi drive and went through nightmarish gyrations getting it to work on my 2009 3.32 Quad Xenon with 32 GB Ram Mac Tower.  Ultimately, I did a fresh system install over the original fresh install and that seemed to fix the problem.

There's a lot to like about Mavericks - the finder improvements, of course, and several other things.  I've had to buy a lot of software I hadn't planned on, but I'm using Photoshop CC now and it's very cool.  I do have Photoshops CS3, CS4, and CS5 extended installed as well, and they work fine, happy to say (long story why I need each of those PS's).
Lightroom 5 is great.

The one thing I miss the most is an older program called iView Media Pro  (pre- Redmond and Phase one) which was an awesome program that I can hardly live without.

I do have VMWare Fusion and I run a few Windows programs on that, but I'm going to install Snow Leopard Server on Fusion so I can run any programs that are Legacy or anything else that runs on Rosetta.

If anyone is aware of any software that equals iView Media Pro, that is current, please let me know.

Printers synced up immediately with the exception of the little Cannon Pro-100 - it was tricky getting it to work - thank goodness for the internet and people who post solutions.
Our HP Z3200ps 44" hit the ground running - never lost any profiles, etc.  It was a dream.
Have not tried to use the Epson 4800 Pro yet - will wait on that for awhile.

All in all, now that I have several backup copies, all my eSata devices are working well (upgrades on Caldigit), etc., I'm fairly pleased with it.

Admittedly, I cringe every time I see the circle going round and round on the grey apple boot up screen, but now that I know that an "install-over" works perfectly, I guess it's time to relax, but easier said than done.

The most important thing - my Gretag i1 no longer works with Mavericks.  So just got an i1 Display Pro and it is a dream to use, even with the secondary monitor workaround.

I'm more happy with Mavericks every day....
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: syncrasy on March 11, 2014, 09:24:36 pm
The one thing I miss the most is an older program called iView Media Pro  (pre- Redmond and Phase one) which was an awesome program that I can hardly live without.

I do have VMWare Fusion and I run a few Windows programs on that, but I'm going to install Snow Leopard Server on Fusion so I can run any programs that are Legacy or anything else that runs on Rosetta.

If anyone is aware of any software that equals iView Media Pro, that is current, please let me know.

What was the reason why you didn't get Expression Media (or the "current" Media Pro)? In my experience EM is more stable than iView was.

I'm planning a slow Snow Leopard -> Mavericks transition and recently dipped a toe into the Mavericks experience (via a partition) and it looks like Expression Media will work (with just a couple quirks, but no crashes). Might be worth a try.

Alternately I suppose you could run iView on your virtual Snow Leopard.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 12, 2014, 10:23:52 am
What was the reason why you didn't get Expression Media (or the "current" Media Pro)? In my experience EM is more stable than iView was.

I'm planning a slow Snow Leopard -> Mavericks transition and recently dipped a toe into the Mavericks experience (via a partition) and it looks like Expression Media will work (with just a couple quirks, but no crashes). Might be worth a try.

Alternately I suppose you could run iView on your virtual Snow Leopard.

I suggest you make many backups on independent drives before you do that transition, LOL  ;D :o  I recommend a fresh install, but who knows, right?

I am planning to run iView on my Virtual Snow Leopard - that's the reason for doing the Virtual machine entirely.  However, you're saying that Media Pro is as good, as simple, as limber as the old iView?  I was under the impression that it's become "bloatware". 

Thanks for your feedback.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 12, 2014, 10:30:01 am
It seems that many have a problem when they leave 10.6.  For many this was with 10.7.  Once you get past 10.6, additional upgrades seem to affect very few.  so some that skipped 10.7 had some issues when they installed 10.8, and for those moving from 10.6 to 10.9 very likely could have some issues.  The answer is usually a complete cleanout/reset (http://www.cwaynefox.com/wordpress/epson-printers-and-lion-and-leopard-and-snow-leopard/) of the printing system.(or do what I did with my new mac, I just started form scratch and reinstalled all apps and drivers.  Amazing how much junk accumulates in computers through OS upgrades over the years).

I had to do this 10.6- 10.7, but not since.

I will add that many of the problems are actually the result from apple updating software and the Apple supplied Epson update running.  This will toast your epson professional printer drivers.  Make sure you don’t run those updates. I had one client who did this and everything I tried failed ... the only thing that work backing up the drive, wiping the startup disk, and starting from scratch. ( I think there were some serious other issues with his system however, so this was just one problem he was having.)

Yep, you nailed it Wayne.  Exactly what happened to me.  Actually, I've been running on upgrades from Tiger, which, with each system upgrade just worked right into 10.6.8.  The upgrade from Snow Leopard was a disaster - just a nightmare that went on for a week and a half until I said uncle and did a clean install.  I still haven't migrated everything yet, and just have the old SL drive in one of the bays and pick and choose what to use from it, for now.

As for the printers, I had read some things about the updates and was prepared.  Still issues with Canon and Epson but I wiped everything regarding the Z3200ps first and it went through easy.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: syncrasy on March 12, 2014, 11:03:37 am
I suggest you make many backups on independent drives before you do that transition, LOL  ;D :o  I recommend a fresh install, but who knows, right?

I did a fresh install to the new Mavericks partition. No problems. My Snow Leopard Mac Pro is circa 2010, so maybe the processor is a little more compatible (?). The main issues will be (presumed) obsolete scanner drivers and a few apps. I plan to keep an SL partition just for my scanner.

I am planning to run iView on my Virtual Snow Leopard - that's the reason for doing the Virtual machine entirely.  However, you're saying that Media Pro is as good, as simple, as limber as the old iView?  I was under the impression that it's become "bloatware".  

No. I'm saying Expression Media is as good, as simple and as limber as the old iView. For me at least. I could be wrong but don't think the term "bloatware" really applies since MS didn't add new or unwanted features, just improved a few existing features. (For example, Light Table can show six images instead of just two.) You could download the trial version from Phase One's archive (http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Software-Archive/Microsoft-Expression-Media.aspx) and try it for yourself. (Be sure to install SP2, not just SP1, as SP1 was buggy.)

I don't use Media Pro because of reported instability after Phase One got its hands on the software. They mucked up the UI too. I might end up getting it eventually if my EM fails to perform as well as I had hoped on Mavericks, but it's uncertain whether Phase One is committed to Media Pro as a standalone DAM. (It appears Phase One bought iView/EM primarily so that they could integrate the code into Capture One to compete with Lightroom.)
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: DF1 on March 12, 2014, 11:21:09 am
We use it at my company and it's mostly a good thing. A few little hiccups still exist with Mavericks. Airplay can be a little flakey, and syncing with Google is still buggy, despite several rounds of OS updates to fix it. Also, on some older Macs Mavericks can have slowness issues, but I've been able to fix that by cleaning the kernel cache with Onyx. Also I've had to re-install and/or upgrade certain printer drivers. But on the whole, I think Mavericks is a pretty good iteration of OS X, but they do need to get some kinks ironed out.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 12, 2014, 01:13:10 pm
What was the reason why you didn't get Expression Media (or the "current" Media Pro)? In my experience EM is more stable than iView was.

Good news!  Phase one offers an upgrade to Mdeia Pro from iView.  Bought it and am making catalogs as I write this.  Thanks again for this info.
It works!

-Mark
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: syncrasy on March 12, 2014, 01:42:35 pm
Good news!  Phase one offers an upgrade to Mdeia Pro from iView.  Bought it and am making catalogs as I write this.  Thanks again for this info.
It works!

You're welcome! Please let us know how Media Pro works out for you after you've had a chance to use it for a while on Mavericks. There have been mixed reports on the Phase One forum (some users complain of slow speed and instability, others say it works fine). I'd also be curious how you like the new interface. (I personally don't like the white text on glossy black background.)
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 12, 2014, 04:56:42 pm
Although I just got it, I used it a lot already. My upgrade version is 1.4.1.6792 and it has a dark gray background with white text which is fine with me.

What is amazing is that all the iView catalogs open in Media Pro.  They have to be saved with Media Pro's file extension, but no problem.  It is fast fast fast, but I have 32 GB of ram and a Quad core which seems to work well with it.

Couldn't be more pleased.  Runs like a strip-ed ass ape!
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: JayWPage on March 13, 2014, 12:46:47 pm
I have a 2010 Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and I have not upgraded to Mavericks. Everything that I run with this computer works just fine, both hardware (NEC monitor, Epson 3880, Nikon Coolscan scanner, etc.) and software (PS CS6, NEC Spectraview II, Topaz & NIK plugins, PT Gui, MS Office, etc.). So why change the operating system if everything works fine as it is. I know that if I upgraded, it would turn into a headache for sure.

Personally I'm tired of this treadmill of constant upgrades and drain on my pocket book (yes, I know Mavericks is free), so I'm "freezing" my entire system (computers, cameras, and software) for the next 3 - 4 years and instead of fighting with equipment and learning new software I'm going to spend my time doing what I enjoy most, which is taking pictures.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 13, 2014, 12:57:35 pm
I understand what you are saying Jay and I felt exactly the same.  The real problem is that just last month, Apple has dropped ALL support for 10.6.8, meaning it is now extremely vulnerable to hacks, big time.

Now that I've upgraded, I can only say that all the new programs are improvements and there are many advantages to running Mavericks.

I sure hear you and I was dragging my feet as well, but learning that banking and financial aspects were now totally vulnerable, I just jumped ship - got the Snow Leopard off my back and got on a new horse....
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: dgberg on March 14, 2014, 05:21:16 pm
I have a 2010 Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and I have not upgraded to Mavericks. Everything that I run with this computer works just fine, both hardware (NEC monitor, Epson 3880, Nikon Coolscan scanner, etc.) and software (PS CS6, NEC Spectraview II, Topaz & NIK plugins, PT Gui, MS Office, etc.). So why change the operating system if everything works fine as it is. I know that if I upgraded, it would turn into a headache for sure.

Personally I'm tired of this treadmill of constant upgrades and drain on my pocket book (yes, I know Mavericks is free), so I'm "freezing" my entire system (computers, cameras, and software) for the next 3 - 4 years and instead of fighting with equipment and learning new software I'm going to spend my time doing what I enjoy most, which is taking pictures.

Everything but Lightroom 5 and OnOnes Photo Suite 8
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 14, 2014, 08:06:08 pm
Everything but Lightroom 5 and OnOnes Photo Suite 8

You like onOne Photo Suite Dan?  Any good?

I tell you what - I recently bought Perfectly Clear and when it comes to mongrel light issues and hard to process funky light, it's pretty good.

Have wondered about Perfect Photo Suite 8 - I see it advertised a lot.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: dgberg on March 14, 2014, 09:21:09 pm
Mark,
I use OnOnes Perfect Resize every day. It comes with the Suite package and is worth it's weight in gold.
For resizing and it's canvas mirroring capabilities.
The rest of the package I play with a little but nothing too serious.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: JayWPage on March 15, 2014, 11:45:26 am
Everything but Lightroom 5 and OnOnes Photo Suite 8

I don't use Lightroom, I don't like the way it organizes my images. I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them: by date and event. I chose Photozoom Pro for resizing.

Getting back to Mavericks, I have upgraded my Airbook to 10.9.2 since it is what I use when out and about. I had thought that most of the security concerns related to the early release of Mavericks (10.9.1)

For the time being, I am planning to keep my Mac Pro with 10.6.8.   Maybe later in the year, if security issues start to be a problem I will clone the primary drive and upgrade to whatever Mavericks is up to and try it out (but with the option of switching back to 10.6.8 if I don't like it).
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 15, 2014, 07:55:58 pm
Mark,
I use OnOnes Perfect Resize every day. It comes with the Suite package and is worth it's weight in gold.
For resizing and it's canvas mirroring capabilities.
The rest of the package I play with a little but nothing too serious.

Yeah, of course, Dan.  I use Perfect Resize Pro - upgraded from Genuine Fractals, but never bothered with the other programs.  Don't think I could live with out resize pro....

As for the canvas mirroring, I use actions I've created myself and I know you know, LOL (think Conga), LOL
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 15, 2014, 10:18:21 pm
I don't use Lightroom, I don't like the way it organizes my images. I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them: by date and event. I chose Photozoom Pro for resizing.
Not sure what I'm missing here ... LR does not organize your images.  It simply displays them in whatever manner and hierarchy you yourself choose to use.  The organizing is according to whatever method you use and is handled by the operating system.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Scott Martin on March 16, 2014, 07:50:39 am
I don't use Lightroom..... I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them

I'm with Wayne - LR let's you organize your images exactly the way you like to think about them.

I held onto 10.6.8 for a long time and was glad when I finally upgraded to 10.8.2. 10.9 like it is snappy, lean and mean, highly optimized and I like the iCloud syncing between devices. Really smart integration Apple has done. I miss a few PPC apps a tiny bit but have an old laptop I can run them on if need be. Upgrading from 10.6.8 seemed like a scary prospect at the time but ended up being 20 steps forward and 1 step backwards.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 16, 2014, 11:27:59 am
I'm with Wayne - LR let's you organize your images exactly the way you like to think about them.

I held onto 10.6.8 for a long time and was glad when I finally upgraded to 10.8.2. 10.9 like it is snappy, lean and mean, highly optimized and I like the iCloud syncing between devices. Really smart integration Apple has done. I miss a few PPC apps a tiny bit but have an old laptop I can run them on if need be. Upgrading from 10.6.8 seemed like a scary prospect at the time but ended up being 20 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

I'm with Wayne as well and thought the comment about Lightroom
organizing" images (on it's own) was an odd thing to say since Lightroom is soooooo flexible.
On this topic, Lightroom is DEFINITELY your friend.

Yeah, 10.9 (Mavericks) is definitely much better - many improvements and I have yet to see anything it won't do that 10.6.8 would with the exception of Rosetta.  Seems like a win - win ultimately.  Any programs I've upgraded to run better, and are improved, themselves, and work overall much faster and easier.  The current deal on the Photoshop CC and Lightroom for $9.99 per month is like manna from heaven.  Now THAT is a deal!

All the previous Apple software like iWork, iLife, etc., even earlier versions work after quick, free upgrades.

MS Office for Mac works perfectly. (As perfect as that frustrating thing can, LOL).

Printers work well.

Go down the check list and all is well, unless it's not, in which case, upgrade to a new version of the program that is not functioning.

Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: westfreeman on March 18, 2014, 10:35:32 pm
Yes, I am running 10.9.2 Mavericks

I am running this on a 2009 Mac Pro with 24 GB RAM, 8 Core 2.66


I have done a clean install to a SSD HD and it is running like a dream, a very good dream.   I also use Adobe CS6 and use Lightroom 5, both are running well.  I have X-Rite i1Profiler to use i1Photo and it is on 1.5.0 right now and running well also.  

I have had no data loss.  I have 5 internal HDs, one is a SSD HD in the lower Optical bay.  I have two Drobos connected via Firewire both running very well.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 19, 2014, 05:44:03 pm
Sorry for the double-posting, but Mavericks doesn't allow A3+ fine art papers (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3576050) to be used in some Canon printers.

I'll be delighted when and if this is resolved.
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: robgo2 on August 02, 2014, 12:22:05 pm
You like onOne Photo Suite Dan?  Any good?

I tell you what - I recently bought Perfectly Clear and when it comes to mongrel light issues and hard to process funky light, it's pretty good.

Have wondered about Perfect Photo Suite 8 - I see it advertised a lot.

Late response:

I use Perfect Photo Suite 8.5 as a standalone program, and it has almost completely supplanted Photoshop in my workflow.  I find that I can get better results with much less effort.  I use all of the Suite's modules regularly with the exception of Portrait and Mask, and I know that I need to learn the latter.  It is a very deep, rich, well designed bit of software with well integrated modules that make for an easy workflow.  PPS has evolved over the years into something quite special, IMO.  The only significant features that are missing are noise reduction and printing.  My guess is that NR will be added to a future version. although many of us perform that function in the raw stage anyway.  For printing, one can use PS, LR, Qimage, ImagePrint etc.

Rob
Title: Re: How many are using Mavericks?
Post by: The View on August 05, 2014, 01:16:56 pm
Mavericks on a retina MacBook Pro with 16 Gb RAM.

No problems with printing.

But Photoshop has problems with Mavericks, particularly the brush. Sometimes Photoshop just locks up after using the brush. Then I have to click the layer I'm working on in the layer view, and it kind of catches up.

New OS versions come out faster and faster, which leads to increasing bugs with different software applications.

I'd prefer a bomb proof, stable version every three years. Anything more is just window dressing.