Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on March 05, 2014, 12:10:04 pm

Title: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: BobDavid on March 05, 2014, 12:10:04 pm
The last time.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: luxborealis on March 05, 2014, 01:08:50 pm
A somber moment that I am sure was emotionally difficult to photograph. My condolences to you and your family.

Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: WalterEG on March 05, 2014, 03:27:12 pm
Every blessing.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 05, 2014, 06:39:04 pm
My condolences as well, and thanks for sharing this difficult moment with us.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: Justan on March 05, 2014, 10:56:28 pm
My condolences. I went through that with both my parents and it is not easy for anyone. I’m sure he was a huge influence and you helped him in ways beyond count. Being there brought great comfort.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: wolfnowl on March 06, 2014, 01:20:41 am
Something to treasure. My favourite poem for that is:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.



"Throughout the years, this poem has appeared in many places and in many forms. The original was written in 1942 by Baltimorean Mary Frye on the back of a brown paper bag. Frye wrote the poem for a friend whose mother had died in Germany; the daughter had been unable to attend the funeral because of World War II."
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: BobDavid on March 06, 2014, 11:02:09 am
Something to treasure. My favourite poem for that is:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.



"Throughout the years, this poem has appeared in many places and in many forms. The original was written in 1942 by Baltimorean Mary Frye on the back of a brown paper bag. Frye wrote the poem for a friend whose mother had died in Germany; the daughter had been unable to attend the funeral because of World War II."


What a beautiful and poignant poem!

My father is still alive, barely. I flew halfway across the country to spend a week with him.

I took this picture after having spent that night on a cot next to him. He had had a very rough night. Finally, he settled down into a peaceful sleep. I woke up as the sun began to rise. I got dressed, placed my camera on self-timer, and then placed it on a table across the room. This is the last photo that will ever be of me and dad together. His days are numbered. I am back home, and my thoughts are always focused on him. I do not know if he would have approved of this picture.

Photography is the medium I have always reached out to whenever I've needed to seek clarification on existential matters. Dad respected my dedication to the art and the craft of taking pictures. I succumbed to a mental tug-of-war as to whether it would be proper to post this picture. Ultimately, I realized everybody confronts the process of dying. I revisited Nicholas Nixon's and Richard Avedon's photos. Their work gave me the courage to do as I did.

I appreciate the kind words and sentiments my fellow photographers have expressed on this forum. Peace to all.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: muntanela on March 07, 2014, 10:45:40 am
Impressive resemblance... In this photograph there are four portraits (two portraits and two self-portraits).
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: BobDavid on March 19, 2014, 08:59:10 am
My father recovered from the pneumonia and infections. He is in palliative care now. It was touch and go. At least now he's got his dignity back. He is able to be with friends and family. He cracks jokes and is eating, however not able to metabolize very well. I hope to be flying back up to Nebraska to see him and take a nice portrait of the two of us together.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 19, 2014, 10:36:24 am
Thanks for the update. I hope you do get a chance for the new portrait, and that you will share it with us, too.

Eric
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: cjogo on March 19, 2014, 01:23:58 pm
My father recovered from the pneumonia and infections. He is in palliative care now. It was touch and go. At least now he's got his dignity back. He is able to be with friends and family. He cracks jokes and is eating, however not able to metabolize very well. I hope to be flying back up to Nebraska to see him and take a nice portrait of the two of us together.

Wonderful Portrait ~!  And very glad for the updated news ............
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: Jagatai on March 19, 2014, 10:55:36 pm
This is a strong documentary portrait of what we all must face eventually.  What particularly adds to the power of the image is that the both of you look so much alike.  It is almost a portrait of one person at the middle of life and at its end.
Title: Re: Self Portrait: Me & Dad
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 22, 2014, 08:08:48 am
What a powerful image and one I think that will stay with all of us who have viewed it, for a long, long time to come.

I have also found myself sitting in a chair like that, in a room like that, far too many times over the last few years..

Dave