Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 02, 2014, 08:01:21 am

Title: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 02, 2014, 08:01:21 am
Inspired by one of the LuLa Video Journals I spent 6 hours in the local zoo yesterday to take animal portraits.
This first one is one of my favorites, but I will post more to this thread along as I process them.
Some will be in color, some will be b/w.
And yes - I really enjoyed my new digital system and especially the telezoom ... (Fuji X-E2 + 55-200mm)

The complete series can be seen on my Flickr stream as a set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/sets/72157641746785553

Cheers
~Chris



Orang Utan


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/12877720534_112b6b69ac_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12877720534/)



Tiger


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/12877705883_867074c0ec_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12877705883/)



Baby Elephant


(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/12878028363_d1fd2f44d9_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12878028363/in/photostream/)



Baboon Mother and Baby


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/12878923774_b83156954b_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12878923774/in/photostream/)



Male Baboon Closeup


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/12880118833_8079e451f5_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12880118833/in/photostream/)



Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: luxborealis on March 02, 2014, 09:36:31 am
Great photographs. Great portraits.

No fault of your's, Chris, as they are excellent photographs, but am I seeing forlorn looks in the animals' eyes? Or am I just projecting that feeling on them because I know they are in captivity. I wonder if I would see them the same way if I had not known they were in a zoo. I should look back at the portraits I've done of animals in the wild to see if the same look is there.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: RSL on March 02, 2014, 09:42:19 am
Great job, Chris. When I go to the zoo I always find the people a lot more interesting than the animals. Maybe that's because I worked at the Detroit zoo several summers when I was a kid.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 02, 2014, 09:49:15 am
Great photographs. Great portraits.

+1.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: pikeys on March 02, 2014, 10:57:22 am
Outstanding shots....all of them.
I like #1 the best
Question-why did you choose to make some of them B&W?

Mike
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 02, 2014, 11:07:51 am
Outstanding shots....all of them.
I like #1 the best
Question-why did you choose to make some of them B&W?

Mike


Sometimes the color is questionable, especially because of distractions added from the zoo environment.
After all everything in the zoo is sort of posed / staged / presented, sometimes with questionable results.
The B/W abstraction allows me to present the animal the way I perceived it without the zoo props getting in the way.
Also B/W allows a more aggressive sharpening (fur!) which sometimes is desirable.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: luxborealis on March 02, 2014, 11:32:40 am
+1 for B&W - it is very effective. The colour is superfluous in many respects, as it is in many of the great human portraits. We can concentrate on the details and not be distracted by the colour which may or not be "true" given the variable lighting in some zoos (both natural and artificial and mixed).
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 02, 2014, 01:02:05 pm
The B&W shots are wonderful, Chris, particularly the tiger and the baby elephant. That was a well-spent six hours!

Jeremy
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: PeterAit on March 02, 2014, 01:04:58 pm
I particularly like the first one, too. Tell me, is he a Nikon guy or a Canon guy <g>?
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 02, 2014, 01:26:41 pm
Thank you very much for the flowers everyone - means something!
The following images are coming from the bird department.
Cheers
~Chris


Pink Pelican


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/12881762715_088be321ae_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12881762715/in/photostream/)



Playful Crowned Cranes


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/12884231925_bb249ac90b_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12884231925/)



Flamingos #2


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/12881039913_1653fc38a9_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12881039913/)





Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: cjogo on March 02, 2014, 08:26:41 pm
Just wonderful images of fantastic creatures  :-)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 02, 2014, 09:22:22 pm
Great photography coupled with artful post processing.  I could spend an hour listing all the positive points and how you managed to not miss a single opportunity to make them better.

But when I see them I'm sad.  And not because of the great photography, I'd feel the same sadness from a discount P&S in inexperienced hands.  Or even from the many memories I have of such places.

I used to spend weeks exploring a new zoo, and I'd travel far distances just to do the same with a new venue.

Eventually my travels took me to many places where these animals are indigenous and live as free as their poaching laws and enforcement allow.  It's an experience that must be lived, and it isn't complete without a thorough understanding of the local cultures which both protect and prey on these incredible resources.

Along the line I learned how zoo animals are not only robbed of their freedom and in many cases made to perform not unlike indentured servitude, but how they were also robbed of their minds through the daily doses of drugs many are given in their food.    Can you imagine being taken from your home and locked in a cage and if you dare rattle your food dish you're given drugs that made you forget today and tomorrow and the next day?  Or worse, born into this life without experiencing freedom ever.

While in Thailand I learned through investigation about the many ethical issues involved with the keeping of these creatures.  In short human greed knows no limits.

A properly and ethically ran wild animal park such as San Diego's excellent facility managed by committee is about as close to ideal as possible given the limitations, but I question their need because of such media as your excellent photography and the video realism we know is possible.   Will we enjoy seeing the animal more in person but from 50-100 feet away, or from 4k or better video captured in the wild?

As humans we have much to learn about taking things which aren't ours.

Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: pikeys on March 02, 2014, 09:35:58 pm
Great photography coupled with artful post processing.  I could spend an hour listing all the positive points and how you managed to not miss a single opportunity to make them better.

But when I see them I'm sad.  And not because of the great photography, I'd feel the same sadness from a discount P&S in inexperienced hands.  Or even from the many memories I have of such places.

I used to spend weeks exploring a new zoo, and I'd travel far distances just to do the same with a new venue.

Eventually my travels took me to many places where these animals are indigenous and live as free as their poaching laws and enforcement allow.  It's an experience that must be lived, and it isn't complete without a thorough understanding of the local cultures which both protect and prey on these incredible resources.

Along the line I learned how zoo animals are not only robbed of their freedom and in many cases made to perform not unlike indentured servitude, but how they were also robbed of their minds through the daily doses of drugs many are given in their food.    Can you imagine being taken from your home and locked in a cage and if you dare rattle your food dish you're given drugs that made you forget today and tomorrow and the next day?  Or worse, born into this life without experiencing freedom ever.

While in Thailand I learned through investigation about the many ethical issues involved with the keeping of these creatures.  In short human greed knows no limits.

A properly and ethically ran wild animal park such as San Diego's excellent facility managed by committee is about as close to ideal as possible given the limitations, but I question their need because of such media as your excellent photography and the video realism we know is possible.   Will we enjoy seeing the animal more in person but from 50-100 feet away, or from 4k or better video captured in the wild?

As humans we have much to learn about taking things which aren't ours.



This is a photography forum,
Is it necessary that you give us a dissertation on Zoo ethics.
Comeon will you,the man took excellent photo,s ,we all enjoyed them
We're they treated badly?,did he disturb them in any way?
I understand how you feel,and I agree,with what you say.,just not in this forum.
Just my .02.
Again,they were all great images.

Mike
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 03, 2014, 01:13:44 am
This is a photography forum,
Is it necessary that you give us a dissertation on Zoo ethics.
Comeon will you,the man took excellent photo,s ,we all enjoyed them
We're they treated badly?,did he disturb them in any way?
I understand how you feel,and I agree,with what you say.,just not in this forum.
Just my .02.
Again,they were all great images.

Mike

1.  I feel it's relevant and it's telling that you don't.  All the more reason for writing my post.  I barely touched on the subject because as you said, this is a critique forum.  But how his pictures made me "feel" is part of a critique.  It was written this way.

As photographers we have an ethical duty to support or not support such things.  An exception would be a journalistic/reporting approach and then they'd be quite different photographs.

2.   You're kidding right?  You're taking a tiger that normally has a 200 mile area they roam, often covering 20 or more miles a day, or a wolf with a 125 mile area that can travel up to 50 miles a day.. and lock them in a cage.  Even a "display area" is nothing more than a large pen with fake rocks and whatever else to make it look more appealing to the guests.. not the animal.  Then you drug them up so they're docile and please the crowds..  How would you like to be confined and pumped full of Thorazine when you complained, raised your voice, or did anything that came natural to you? 


I used to regularly take my workshop classes to the Bangkok wild animal park, the Tiger Zoo, the Tiger Temple, Elephant show area, Cobra/Mongoose show.. and lots of other places where animals were confined for the enjoyment of humans.  I won't go into what I found and documented here.. but after 12 years you start to break the surface and what's beneath isn't pretty.  It's dirty and leaves you feeling unclean.  I stopped using those venues and lost because because of it.. and that's okay with me.  Now I'll take them into the national forest where the animals run free and photographers earn their images in a very difficult way.  The look on their face when they nail one is priceless.  Beats the five minutes of "oh, this is nice" they get from zoos and parks.

And no, I'm not some PETA person or any kind of activist at all.. I'm normally conservative.  But when you bother to educate your self on what's happening to our world.. animals includes.. it's disheartening to say the least.

His photos were very good.  But they made me sad.   I told him why.  And now I've explained again because you asked.    Any image that brings on discussion about important things holds a lot more value than a normal pretty picture.

Be careful out there.. :)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 03, 2014, 01:16:04 am
Honestly - when I took the image of the tiger (He was in his cage and I blurred out the fence) it gave me the creeps and
I personally have a very ambivalent attitude towards zoos.
I attached an unaltered Jpeg of the tiger image to this thread to allow you to see more of the "other side" of it.

While I generally agree to many points of what Steve has written,
the other side is, that many children, especially in large cities,
never get an opportunity to see this variety of animals elsewhere.
I believe a zoo can possibly serve a purpose of educating and
giving those children an opportunity to get at least a sort of limited relation to these animals
like experiencing in direct contact, that there are other beings on this planet beside us humans.
I can not judge how far these animals really suffer, but
thinking of the gazillion dogs and cats living under highly problematic circumstances,
we can see that zoos are only a small part of the overall problem.

Expressing feelings evoked by these images is perfectly okay and encouraged - I mean - what more can I wish for as a photographer?

Despite that, I would suggest to discuss the issue of captivating animals, if desired in an extra thread in the Coffee Corner and
keep this thread clear from further discussion, to allow it keep its purpose of discussing the images in themselves.
I believe the ethics of taking images should not be left out when taking images, and I am perfectly okay with discussing the issue, but
also believe an extra thread (maybe with a link to this one here) would be a better place to do so.


I personally hope, that my images, though staged and not focusing on the negative side of captivity,
give an impression of the dignity and beauty of these animals,
because I believe that's the best way to get a healthy relation to them and see them as fellow beings on this planet.
On the contrary, my images do not have the purpose of documenting the captivity - they serve a different purpose,
of which I believe it serves better creating respect instead of inducing guilt and moral complications in the minds of the viewer.
Guilt is always a bad foundation for any kind of relation.

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: kencameron on March 03, 2014, 02:06:30 am
Despite that, I would suggest to discuss the issue of captivating animals, if desired in an extra thread in the Coffee Corner and
keep this thread clear from further discussion, to allow it keep its purpose of discussing the images in themselves.
I believe the ethics of taking images should not be left out when taking images, and I am perfectly okay with discussing the issue, but
also believe an extra thread (maybe with a link to this one here) would be a better place to do so.
Interesting. I  agree that a wide-ranging general discussion of the ethics of keeping animals in captivity might belong in a different thread, but I think there is also something to be said in this thread. I love the photographs, and I also agree with Steve that there is an element of sadness about them that may derive from the fact that the animals are in captivity. That sadness is surely just as much part of the excellence of the photographs as are technical elements such as sharpness, composition etc. Surely depicting the sadness of animals in captivity is a legitimate aspiration for a photographer, and there is no inconsistency between having reservations about Zoos and taking photographs in them. War photographers don't neccessarily approve of war.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 03, 2014, 02:56:28 am
Interesting. I  agree that a wide-ranging general discussion of the ethics of keeping animals in captivity might belong in a different thread, but I think there is also something to be said in this thread. I love the photographs, and I also agree with Steve that there is an element of sadness about them that may derive from the fact that the animals are in captivity. That sadness is surely just as much part of the excellence of the photographs as are technical elements such as sharpness, composition etc. Surely depicting the sadness of animals in captivity is a legitimate aspiration for a photographer, and there is no inconsistency between having reservations about Zoos and taking photographs in them. War photographers don't neccessarily approve of war.

Exactly.
Thats why I also wrote:
Quote
Expressing feelings evoked by these images is perfectly okay and encouraged - I mean - what more can I wish for as a photographer?
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 03, 2014, 05:05:27 pm
Allright - here are my favourite edits from today
from the "Ice World" department ...
Cheers
~Chris


Ice Bear


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/12912887093_7f9e71ee5e_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12912887093/)



Walrus


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/12912886683_de8178c084_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12912886683/)



Seal


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/12912794065_15bb347133_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12912794065/)



Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 03, 2014, 05:41:43 pm
and there is no inconsistency between having reservations about Zoos and taking photographs in them. War photographers don't neccessarily approve of war.

This depends on the context.  I stopped going to these venues and bringing them paying customers because I could no longer support their business.  And make no mistake, all these places are about business and making money. 

However, as I did with one animal park in Oregon (they were sponsoring after hours fighting between species and were even breeding special fighting mixes) I participated on the surface, my real purpose in being there was to expose them.   And I did.  And this was before I stopped going to these places on principal, but it was part of my decision.  Like you said, a war photographer is there to record the war, no other agenda (unless they work for any of the popular news organizations).. but they're also not paying or supporting the way in any way.

Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: pikeys on March 03, 2014, 05:43:31 pm
Chris,
Absolutly beautiful
#1 is perfect

Please note-If I offended anyone with my previous post,forgive me-I meant no harm in my reply,and I should have toned it down some

Mike
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: kencameron on March 03, 2014, 05:57:56 pm
This depends on the context.  I stopped going to these venues and bringing them paying customers because I could no longer support their business.  And make no mistake, all these places are about business and making money.  

However, as I did with one animal park in Oregon (they were sponsoring after hours fighting between species and were even breeding special fighting mixes) I participated on the surface, my real purpose in being there was to expose them.   And I did.  And this was before I stopped going to these places on principal, but it was part of my decision.  Like you said, a war photographer is there to record the war, no other agenda (unless they work for any of the popular news organizations).. but they're also not paying or supporting the way in any way.


Good points. I can see good reasons for not taking paying groups to zoos and I have nothing but respect for the decisions you have made. I think that there are zoos and zoos. Not all are only about making money, some have genuine concern for the welfare of animals and make real contributions to conservation, some provide ample space and custom-designed environments. The difficult point would be that even in zoos like that, a prison is still a prison, however comfortable - a place where social arrangements are distorted and a natural life is impossible. One of those "which is the lesser evil" conundrums.

Sorry, Christopher. These points are for the other thread, I know. I am not sure if it is ever possible for the OP to control where a thread will go. I liked the new shots. Perfect cropping, and they celebrate the dignity of the animals despite any adversity.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 04, 2014, 12:47:58 am
Chris,
Absolutly beautiful
#1 is perfect

Please note-If I offended anyone with my previous post,forgive me-I meant no harm in my reply,and I should have toned it down some

Mike


Thanks !
I think your reaction represented one side of the coin and I think the discussion or even little quarrel is a proof the images work and evoke something.
So - though a little sidetracked I think that's all perfectly okay and I can be happy with the outcome.

Cheers
~Chris


...
Sorry, Christopher. These points are for the other thread, I know. I am not sure if it is ever possible for the OP to control where a thread will go. I liked the new shots. Perfect cropping, and they celebrate the dignity of the animals despite any adversity.

Thanks !
I don't think I can control the thread, nor do I really want to control it.
As long as it doesn't get destroyed or completely derailed I think its perfectly okay to have a bit of discussion in it.
I think it would be very self-centered of me to attempt to suppress feelings and thoughts not directly resulting in praise.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 04, 2014, 01:55:36 am


I don't think I can control the thread, nor do I really want to control it.
As long as it doesn't get destroyed or completely derailed I think its perfectly okay to have a bit of discussion in it.
I think it would be very self-centered of me to attempt to suppress feelings and thoughts not directly resulting in praise.
Cheers
~Chris

1.  After some time on a forum you soon learn who wants to control their threads, or who feels secure enough to encourage they be opened a bit.  And perhaps I'm guilty of something when I stop attending the threads the OP's wish controlled, but it's really my intention to respect their wishes.

2.  Personally I think the discussion is the most interesting part where I learn the most and more importantly get to know and socialize with different members.  I have friends on this forum I've known in excess of 15 years, and I value these friendships greatly.  They started with discussion. .... and if the truth be known with banishment from another forum which didn't make it.  I suspect there wasn't enough discussion..   ;D

3.  Au contraire, mon frère.  That your images invoked sadness was indeed praise.  Sadness is no less desirable as an emotion than is joy or even fear and in some cases jealousy..  ::)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 04, 2014, 01:59:13 am
1.  After some time on a forum you soon learn who wants to control their threads, or who feels secure enough to encourage they be opened a bit.  And perhaps I'm guilty of something when I stop attending the threads the OP's wish controlled, but it's really my intention to respect their wishes.

2.  Personally I think the discussion is the most interesting part where I learn the most and more importantly get to know and socialize with different members.  I have friends on this forum I've known in excess of 15 years, and I value these friendships greatly.  They started with discussion. .... and if the truth be known with banishment from another forum which didn't make it.  I suspect there wasn't enough discussion..   ;D

3.  Au contraire, mon frère.  That your images invoked sadness was indeed praise.  Sadness is no less desirable as an emotion than is joy or even fear and in some cases jealousy..  ::)

Its all a matter of balance.
 :)
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 04, 2014, 03:20:54 am
Its all a matter of balance.
 :)
Cheers
~Chris
Yes it is.  Sadly some have clung to the balance beam all too tightly.   :D
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 04, 2014, 06:46:00 am
Yes it is.  Sadly some have clung to the balance beam all too tightly.   :D

Its all in the eye of the beholder and everyone needs to find his own way to deal with the various issues.

My experience of the last years or even decades is such, that there are many valid ways to see reality.
I have my personal ideas and beliefs, of course, some even quite strict, but I find it more and more important
to encourage communication with respect to the borders of the counterpart as well as I try to keep my own territory half way safe.

The issue of animal portraits taken in a zoo is polarizing at least and my stance towards polarization is to balance.
If things get to soft, dishonest and blah-blah I tend to polarize and provoke.
That's partly how I understand balance.

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 04, 2014, 03:11:19 pm
Only one today - from the subworld.
Cheers
~Chris



Encounter


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/12934704554_025258c518_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12934704554/)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: pikeys on March 04, 2014, 03:58:27 pm
Only one today - from the subworld.
Cheers
~Chris



Encounter


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/12934704554_025258c518_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12934704554/)

Excellent,
Please note ,the smile on the childs face-4th from the left..at least I think its a smile,?
That says it all...

Mike
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 04, 2014, 04:11:14 pm
Excellent,
Please note ,the smile on the childs face-4th from the left..at least I think its a smile,?
That says it all...

Mike

It was quite a stir in the group when the Walrus suddenly arrived.
It appeared both sides were equally curious ....
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: RSL on March 04, 2014, 07:04:00 pm
Best one yet, Chris.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 05, 2014, 03:38:55 pm
Thanks again everyone.
Russ: Seems to be the most street photography like shot of the day. ;)
Some more edits from today...

Cheers
~Chris



Lion



(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/12955132084_b4daba0846_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12955132084/in/photostream/)



Aoudad


(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/12955133914_7d3e5fe43b_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12955133914/)



Fire Fox a.k.a. Red Panda


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/12954706295_7041c38a40_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12954706295/)



King Eider


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/12955130654_0ba2cab719_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12955130654/)



Puffin


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3794/12954704525_84206fdb1e_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12954704525/)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: pikeys on March 05, 2014, 05:39:52 pm
Chris,
Absolutely beautiful...lion shot,all are excellent,but this guy  really stands out,
Looks like he doesn't have the "Zoo Blues",or sad /depressed in any way,seems quite content

Mike
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: wolfnowl on March 06, 2014, 01:25:39 am
Some great work, Chris. Mike Shaw does some chiaroscuro work of zoo animals in England that I quite like:
https://plus.google.com/+MikeShaw/photos

Mike.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 06, 2014, 01:32:39 am
Chris,
Absolutely beautiful...lion shot,all are excellent,but this guy  really stands out,
Looks like he doesn't have the "Zoo Blues",or sad /depressed in any way,seems quite content

Mike

Thanks!

I am totally not sure how far we can judge the internal state of animals at all and especially from photographs.

We might halfway know dogs or cats since we live with them, but I am afraid what happens what we think about them is greatly anthropocentric.
We judge the facial expressions of animals in a way as if they were humans and how a human would feel if looking or behaving so and so.
People dealing on a daily basis with animals most likely have a different view and might be able to have some sort of better fitting empathy.
Especially concepts like "freedom" or "dignity" are not easily applicable to animals.

I personally believe that animals (at least the higher developed ones like mammals or vertebrates) have feelings and character or soul,
but in a way we can only partially understand. There is a lot of projection going on when we judge animals.

On the other hand - that's the same way how we judge other humans.
We can not directly look into someones soul.
We always automagically conclude subconsciously from our perception and use projection from our own internal states.

One could question why it should not be legit to do the same with our next relatives, like primates (e.g. the orang utan), mammals (e.g. the tiger) or vertebrates (e.g. the puffin) ...

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 06, 2014, 01:34:38 am
Some great work, Chris. Mike Shaw does some chiaroscuro work of zoo animals in England that I quite like:
https://plus.google.com/+MikeShaw/photos

Mike.

Thanks !
And thanks for sharing that link - he's going much further with that kind of processing than I did - definitely an inspiration for some experimental edits ..
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 06, 2014, 02:40:49 am
Thanks!

I am totally not sure how far we can judge the internal state of animals at all and especially from photographs.

We might halfway know dogs or cats since we live with them,
Love the walrus..

A study came out last weekend that basically said a dog can feel no shame.  I'm sure this surprised a lot of dog owners myself included.  This of course if you put stock in such studies, and is where I lean against the fence..  (about the only source of support most of these studies have.)

I envy your enjoyment of zoos.  I used to get just as enthused and loved my outings.  Especially my early morning forays into the Bangkok Wild Animal Park when it would rain the migrating birds would come and go and the trucks would dump hundreds of pounds of fish and other foods, and if you caught it just right the small pickup with a steel barred cage and lady in a tiger striped hot pants suit and go-go boots would stick large pieces of raw meat through the bars as the lions and tigers draped themselves over the top and sides.. and then the bear fights, the bucks clashing their antlers, and so much more.  Loved those mornings.  And such a large park right in the middle of a large city (figured out that secret eventually)..  I wrote more than a few articles about my times there.  Clients used to tell me they'd book me because they could feel my enthusiasm.    Wonderful times, to thing day nothing has been as convenient and rewarding.
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 06, 2014, 03:58:53 am
The funny thing is - I have not been to a zoo for something like 10 years.
2 years ago I had the idea to photograph the local zoo, but it took until this last weekend to realize it.

I actually prefer to go out into the landscape and be in natural environments.
And I am not really fond of the artificiality and the amount of kitsch I find the the zoo, like artificial pseudo asian landscapes and such.

The most funny thing I saw there was a dad and his youngster asking his son "What is that animal?" and pointing to a large Buffalo.
The youngster (maybe 3 years old) answered: " A hamster" .... man I needed a couple of minutes to calm down from laughing ...

I like animals - fellow beings - living and suffering like humans do - just in their own way.
I accept the zoo it as a part of human culture and as something of great value to many.
I see both sides of it - and I decided to photograph it the way I did for the reasons I wrote up in earlier posts.

Reading your post again the song of "The life of Brian" comes to my mind:
"Always look at the bright side of life ..."

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 06, 2014, 04:04:23 pm
Today I got the Fuji EF-42 Flash - I think I'm going to re-visit the zoo and try some flash images.
There are some areas where it is allowed and where the animals are used to it.

Allright - so far for .plans - and here my edits from today:

Cheers
~Chris


Ostrich


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7334/12976491963_8fc1401926_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12976491963/sizes/c/)



Aoudad No.2


(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2894/12976491733_a3c82eeb81_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12976491733/)



Crowned Crane No.3


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7356/12976353865_e3380d8f69_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12976353865/)



Yellow-Billed Stork


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3677/12976490783_a01e8183c2_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/12976490783/)
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 08, 2014, 05:23:58 pm
Allright - my zoo series is coming to an end for now.
And these are some of the last edits - I don't think there will be many more.

But I'll re-visit the zoo - they have a whole section I have not yet visited -
the "Tropical Aquarium" with a tropical indoor environment and aquarium.
I also want to do animal portraits which make use of off-camera flash.

The complete set with my picks from this shoot is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/sets/72157641746785553

I hope you enjoyed the excursion - until next time ...

Cheers
~Chris


Elephant Lady Detail


(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3722/13018876325_9f3501624c_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/13018876325/)



[/url]
Tiger Lady


(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/13018867305_2d9ebe33bf_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/13018867305/)



Peacock Lady



(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/13018342613_8c396bb10e_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/13018342613/in/photostream/)



Giraffe


(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/13017935793_93775c5bbc_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/13017935793/in/set-72157641746785553)



Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 08, 2014, 05:53:32 pm
Some truly stunning photos. I'm seriously impressed
Title: Re: A visit in the local zoo ....
Post by: BobDavid on March 08, 2014, 09:34:10 pm
The black and white photos are stunning--impressive. Very successful safari at the zoo, I'd say.