Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: bwana on February 26, 2014, 10:04:00 am
-
Using an E-M1 and a sirui T-025x but did not yet get a ball head. IS the
C-10x Ballhead (Arca Swiss compatible) recommended over the Benro BH0?
Or is the RRS BH25/BH30 palpably better?
Thank you.
-
Sorry . . . I can't help with an opinion, but will bump the post to the top of the heap, because I would love to hear some folks chime-in on your question. I recently bought a Sony a7r along with a "1 series" Sirui tripod -- shaving backpacking weight being a priority. That said, I'm undecided among the matching Sirui ball head, the RRS 30, or maybe a Markins (which I'd never heard of until recently).
Let's hope you/we get some recommendations!
Ron
-
Sorry . . . I can't help with an opinion, but will bump the post to the top of the heap, because I would love to hear some folks chime-in on your question. I recently bought a Sony a7r along with a "1 series" Sirui tripod -- shaving backpacking weight being a priority. That said, I'm undecided among the matching Sirui ball head, the RRS 30, or maybe a Markins (which I'd never heard of until recently).
Let's hope you/we get some recommendations!
Ron
In that case the 25 head from RRS is for you. Made for the Gitzo Traveler.
Same for OP, but the 30 has drag adjust and is somewhat more robust, but heavier of course.
I use the 25 on a CF monopod and the 30 on my Gitzo. Great heads. Cannot comment on the others, never used them
Can't comment on the others
-
Thanks!! Anyone else?? Among the 3 brands I listed: any experiences/preferences you care to share? I've lusted after a RRS ball head for quite a while, having used several of their L-brackets over the years. Overpriced? A bargain because they are that great? And what about Markins?
(Pardon what may appear to be a thread-jack; I think the OP would like to hear whatever answers my questions may generate)
Ron
-
best ball heads in my opinion are the Acratech ball heads, lightweight and very well made.
-
Please give Feisol a shot. They are GREAT....better than Markins IMHO. PLUS, CAN be bought slightly used for peanuts.
Bought unblemished for $120 on FM.com and mated to $200 Induro legs from B& H. Weight is ur friend in wind...and heavy my combo is! Compared to my friends Carbon Fiber Legs and Ballhead from RRS, I feel I actually have gear that will last much longer. He even admitted that!
My head is "rated" to appr. 75 lbs. I think my heavist glass (70-200 2.8 VrII) and D800 are safe
-
Dpreview did a comparative review of several ball heads recently. What I like about the review is that it rated the heads for the most irritating feature of ball heads, which is the tendency to slightly shift position as the lock is engaged.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8192473209/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested
-
ok, so i've narrowed it down to the sunway photo and the arca swiss p0
SUNWAYFOTO FB-36DDHi
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4TB7ZK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A117K1DEQYNJIS
SUNWAYFOTO FB-36DDH2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KTIMGW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38GBW24HDG5AI
(no longer available at B&H)
arca-swiss P0
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658802-REG/Arca_Swiss_801211_Monoball_P0_with_Panning.html
Does the arca-swiss fit RRS camera plates? Are the planetary gears of the arca swiss fiddly when they get dirty?
-
For whatever reason, the AS p0 doesn't seem to get dirty, probably due to the "upside down" orientation vis a vis usual ball heads. The p0 is an enjoyable and very light ball head for light duty. I have not tried mounting my astrophotography equatorial drive plus 400mm lens on it, that is a fair amount of off-axis weight. For that use, I have the Manfrotto 410 gear head. The p0 is an ideal head for mirrorless or for lightweight SLR plus lens (eg, 60D and 15-85mm lens), and is a delight for single-row panorama use, because its pan function is at the clamp end, not at the tripod end of the ball. p0 functions as a leveling base.
-
I use Gitzo tripod with RRS BH55 ball head. When using longer length lens, BH 55 does not have a creep. Their service dept is really excellent.
-
ok, so i've narrowed it down to the sunway photo and the arca swiss p0 ...
... Does the arca-swiss fit RRS camera plates? Are the planetary gears of the arca swiss fiddly when they get dirty?
I use an Arca-Swiss p0. It's very, very good. In addition, I use an Arca-Swiss classic L-bracket on my D700, and I've also got an Arca-Swiss plate for my 300mm. Given that the L-bracket is customisable, such that I could easily adapt it to fit pretty much any DSLR out there, makes it a useful alternative to RRS.
As for the gears getting dirty - I've no idea; I've kept mine pretty clean so far.
-
Could someone kindly explain the difference in both usage and price between these 3 ARCA SWISS heads:
ARCA SWISS P0 Classic - £288
ARCA SWISS D4 Classic - £588
ARCA SWISS D4 Classic - geared - £878
The 'geared' part even I understand, but the D4 is virtually double the P0 - what gives ?
Edit:
Perhaps I should rephrase that, what advantage, if any, does the D4 have over the P0 ?
-
Could someone kindly explain the difference in both usage and price between these 3 ARCA SWISS heads:
ARCA SWISS P0 Classic - £288
ARCA SWISS D4 Classic - £588
ARCA SWISS D4 Classic - geared - £878
The 'geared' part even I understand, but the D4 is virtually double the P0 - what gives ?
Edit:
Perhaps I should rephrase that, what advantage, if any, does the D4 have over the P0 ?
Forgive me for being a bit snarky, but isn't obvious that the D4 and P0 are completely different designs and hence are priced differently? The P0 is basically a ball head. The D4 is not a ball head and has individual adjustments for each axis. The P0 should be faster to align in a rough sort of way, whereas the D4 should be better for aligning in a more precise sort of way. Most people use ball heads nowadays and do the fine alignment in post, however some people really like the control afforded by non-ball heads. The D4 is a clever and unsual design. You should read up on it.
-
Another vote for the Arca P0 head for light/medium duty. A relative bargain in the Arca-Swiss world! I use mine w/ a round Sunway clamp on it. It's also good for vertical panos by dropping it to the side and panning vertically.
-
Forgive me for being a bit snarky, but isn't obvious that the D4 and P0 are completely different designs and hence are priced differently? The P0 is basically a ball head. The D4 is not a ball head and has individual adjustments for each axis. The P0 should be faster to align in a rough sort of way, whereas the D4 should be better for aligning in a more precise sort of way. Most people use ball heads nowadays and do the fine alignment in post, however some people really like the control afforded by non-ball heads. The D4 is a clever and unsual design. You should read up on it.
Thanks for the response.
-
D4 would be a wonderful head for the architectural photographer or anyone else who wants 3-axis precision. The C1 "Cube" is a heavy Arca head, also 3 axis geared, with the unusual feature of having the sensor remain centered on axis. PhotoClam of Korea makes a pseudo-Cube that is half the price ($1,000.00 instead of $2,000.00) and is said to be excellent as well.
I have the relatively cheap Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head. I am sure that A-S D4 beats the pants off it for precision, but still, the 410 is a great deal at one-third to one-fifth the cost of a D4.