Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: dennbel on February 23, 2014, 07:40:58 pm

Title: New Home Page Photo
Post by: dennbel on February 23, 2014, 07:40:58 pm
That shot of the rust is not very well focused. It appears quite soft to me. I'm surprised, being it was taken with such expensive equipment.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Kevin Raber on February 23, 2014, 07:47:47 pm
Are you kidding me?  It's tack sharp.  I have a 40x40 inch print of it and you can cut your teeth on it.

Kevin
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: dennbel on February 23, 2014, 07:59:08 pm
Hmmm, how does it look on your monitor, because it is not sharp on mine. Very interesting. Maybe it's just a web/browser thing.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Kevin Raber on February 23, 2014, 08:01:54 pm
I have 3 monitors in the office and sharp on all of them.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Pete Berry on February 23, 2014, 08:16:51 pm
Looks sharp on mine also. I would like to see a significantly larger version, though, to more appreciate the color depth, gradations and intricacies of the image, which I like very much. Too many of the LuLa home page images are just too small for me to really appreciate with these old eyes, which will turn three score and fourteen in a couple of days.

Pete
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Pelao on February 23, 2014, 08:57:58 pm
Are you kidding me?  It's tack sharp.  I have a 40x40 inch print of it and you can cut your teeth on it.

Kevin

I'd love to see that. The print I mean, not the teeth cutting...

Strikes me that like most interesting photographs the monitor doesn't really do it full justice. The textures on the print must be delicious.

Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 24, 2014, 01:24:57 am
If you have zoomed in your browser (what I often do with Firefox) images become softer.
Hit Ctrl-0 and they all become sharp again.
If that doesn't work a visit at your favourite optician might help.
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: dennbel on February 24, 2014, 02:22:34 am
I certainly don't need my eyes checked. I see very sharp images of Macro shots on 1x.com. Perhaps because this image is only 625x510 pixels as posted here might be the reason? Not trying to be argumentative, just commenting and questioning what I saw.   I was running the browser at 125% and it does look sharper at 100% as Christoph mentioned.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: mcbroomf on February 24, 2014, 09:51:45 am
Nice and sharp on my screen as well as a beautiful photo.  Very much the kind I take when wandering around old/abandoned areas.

Kevin, why F16 though?  It doesn't look as though you had to worry about DOF.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Hans Kruse on February 24, 2014, 10:48:03 am
I certainly don't need my eyes checked. I see very sharp images of Macro shots on 1x.com. Perhaps because this image is only 625x510 pixels as posted here might be the reason? Not trying to be argumentative, just commenting and questioning what I saw.   I was running the browser at 125% and it does look sharper at 100% as Christoph mentioned.

I'm sure it is tack sharp as a print and maybe the downsized picture wasn't output sharpened after downsizing before uploading to LuLa. I downloaded it ran it through the Lightroom output sharpening for screen as standard and it was visibly better.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: ndevlin on February 24, 2014, 06:42:03 pm

I can say from experience that the Lula picture uploader butchers images.  Even on my last article I spend a ton of time re-uploading one photo which was tack sharp but which always looked like mush on the site.  If you think it's irritating for you, imagine how we feel when it's our art!!

- N.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: mguertin on February 24, 2014, 07:00:01 pm
I can say from experience that the Lula picture uploader butchers images.  Even on my last article I spend a ton of time re-uploading one photo which was tack sharp but which always looked like mush on the site.  If you think it's irritating for you, imagine how we feel when it's our art!!

- N.

This is really odd, the image uploader on the backend doesn't do anything at all to the images (it doesn't alter them at all), I sent you a PM with with more details.  If you have any sample images I can check out please let me know, I can give you my email via PM.  They shouldn't be manipulated at all during the upload, I know how important this is!

Mark
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 25, 2014, 01:16:05 am
You could do an MD5 digest or CRC test with the file uploaded and re-downloaded to check against the original.
My impression is, people tend to overlook zooming in with their browsers which of course blurs images.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: mguertin on February 25, 2014, 08:27:45 am
I worked with Nick on testing this and we couldn't recreate any issues with the uploader editing the file (it's literally just a web front-end that's an uploader that's not even capable of resizing, etc).  We even specifically tested an image he had issues with in the past and it was very sharp on our test, no changes to it at all, so not sure what the deal was there but it wasn't the uploader as far as we can tell ;)
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: michael on February 25, 2014, 08:56:49 am
How the file is prepped is the most important thing. Here's what I do...

Sharpen the image properly in Lightroom to begin with.

Then, in Lightroom, choose output size, select sRGB, and most importantly "Sharpen for Screen".

Next, in Photoshop choose Save for Web, jpeg "Hi" Optimized.

This is what I've been doing for years, and seems to produce the sharpest looking web files.

Michael
Title: Michael, Kevin, Mark...
Post by: Pete Berry on February 25, 2014, 01:07:20 pm
I'm sure I'm not alone in being unsatisfied with the small, postcard size of the always interesting, and frequently stunning images gracing the home page. I know that website real estate is valuable, that perhaps copyright issues are a concern, but to have the image open significantly larger in a separate window as in the past, or a link to a larger image as Kevin has given before, would be truly wonderful.

Thanks to you all for maintaining this "best of the best" resource.

Pete
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 25, 2014, 02:11:56 pm
My impression is, people tend to overlook zooming in with their browsers which of course blurs images.

I agree with Chris, default zoom is the most likely culprit. However, if one knows that display zoom can be an issue (only gets worse with high PPI displays), maybe one should attempt to compensate for it a bit by boosting the lower spatial frequencies a bit more than they are currently.

I'm pretty sure that the built-in for display sharpening in Lightroom is designed for 100% display zoom (even the 'high' setting looks blurry at 125%), but it would only require a modest amount of out-of the-box thinking to address that omission by offering an additional different option which boosts the spatial frequencies at e.g. 0.74 pixel diameter.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 25, 2014, 02:15:19 pm
I never output sharpen for web display.
In LR just a simple output from the master file without screen sharpening and in Photoshop I even use "bicubic" standard instead of "bicubic sharper".
Why?
All these output sharpeners give me ugly oversharpened images.

Sharpness is for rookies.
Real men blur !

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 25, 2014, 02:41:19 pm
I never output sharpen for web display.

Oh my, lots to be gained there Chris. (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif)

Quote
In LR just a simple output from the master file without screen sharpening and in Photoshop I even use "bicubic" standard instead of "bicubic sharper".

BiCubic Sharper is aweful, IMHO to be avoided for serious work.

Quote
Why?
All these output sharpeners give me ugly oversharpened images.

Only if the wrong parameters are used.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 25, 2014, 02:52:08 pm
Only if the wrong parameters are used.

Enlighten me - how do you output sharpen for screen in LR then?
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 25, 2014, 03:07:49 pm
Enlighten me - how do you output sharpen for screen in LR then?

Well, Michael gave an example of how he does it in post #14

I've done some research for a more elaborate output sharpening for display with Lightroom and Photoshop here (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133109#post133109), and for the zoom issue one could devise a different filter, or post sharpening settings, depending on one's workflow preferences.

The point is that downsampling, if it doesn't create ugly aliasing artifacts, also blurs the micro-contrast. Not addressing that blur, which gets even worse with a quick zoom upsample to 125% or more, leaves a lot of quality on the table.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Kevin Raber on February 25, 2014, 03:51:49 pm
On our project list at LuLa is to bring back the photo page where we are not restricted to the present width.  We are working on this feature as well as galleries and a few other things.  Patience please.

And, Michael described what we do to post our images and it has worked fine.  Photoshop save for web does a nice job.  Take a look at it as it has a number of options for optimizing for web output.

Kevin
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 25, 2014, 04:01:41 pm
Thanks for the link, Bart.
I tried 6 ways of output sharpening now:

- No sharpening like I did before
- No sharpening, but apply the custom filter you mentioned in your linked post
- LR output sharpening for screen, "standard"
- LR output sharpening for screen, "standard" plus the custom filter
- LR output sharpening for screen, "low"
- LR output sharpening for screen, "low" plus the custom filter

I compared the original in LR with the reduced JPegs in PS with all variants mentioned above on screen, with the LR variant zoomed to an almost identical size.
My subjective impression is, that any variant with LR output sharpening enabled looks sharper than the original and to my eye oversharpened.
The only variant acceptable to my eyes was the application of your custom filter to the unsharpened LR export,
which I found indeed an acceptable enhancement.
Your custom filter does a good job, but I still don't like the output sharpening applied by LR.

Cheers and Thanks
~Chris
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Farmer on February 25, 2014, 04:27:11 pm
Are a lot of people regularly zooming in their browsers?  I rarely use it, so I'm surprised that a few people have suggested it's not uncommon.  Granted my eyesight is still around 20/12 (being over 40, that could literally change any day, and certainly will at some point, which I'm not looking forward to!) but does zooming in help that much for most people (as opposed to wearing glasses etc)?

I know this is moving the topic a bit, but I find it very interesting when thinking about website construction (for anything, not just photos).
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Adam L on February 25, 2014, 04:29:33 pm
How the file is prepped is the most important thing. Here's what I do...

Sharpen the image properly in Lightroom to begin with.

Then, in Lightroom, choose output size, select sRGB, and most importantly "Sharpen for Screen".

Next, in Photoshop choose Save for Web, jpeg "Hi" Optimized.

This is what I've been doing for years, and seems to produce the sharpest looking web files.

Michael


I'm not sure I understand this last step in PS.   Are you exporting the image from LR as a jpeg and then opening in PS to save again with Hi Optimized?
Title: Re:
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 25, 2014, 04:33:09 pm
I zoom in for reading and I zoom to 1:1 for watching photographs. But sometimes I just watch zoomed and blurred photographs. Rarely I wonder about a blurry image and then zoom out.
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: jjj on February 25, 2014, 04:41:39 pm
How the file is prepped is the most important thing. Here's what I do...

Sharpen the image properly in Lightroom to begin with.

Then, in Lightroom, choose output size, select sRGB, and most importantly "Sharpen for Screen".

Next, in Photoshop choose Save for Web, jpeg "Hi" Optimized.

This is what I've been doing for years, and seems to produce the sharpest looking web files.
I came across this sharpen for web PS action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxgSZV7lPY) and tried it out against my PS action and also LR's export.
Both PS actions did a better job than just LR, which is annoying as exporting directly from LR is such a good workflow.   :-\

Are you exporting from LR then importing to PS and saving for web? As that what it seems like. Which is an odd process as why save again from PS?  ???
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 25, 2014, 06:10:57 pm
Are a lot of people regularly zooming in their browsers?  I rarely use it, so I'm surprised that a few people have suggested it's not uncommon.

Hi Phil,

I do not have to zoom in, but due to the high display PPI (the operating system and) the Web browser(s) automatically decide(s) to zoom in to 125%. I can reset that temporarily to 100% with CTRL+0 on Windows 7.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: New Home Page Photo
Post by: Farmer on February 26, 2014, 09:18:27 pm
Interesting - thanks for the feedback, Bart.