Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on February 23, 2014, 07:27:54 pm

Title: Big Stopper anomoly
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 23, 2014, 07:27:54 pm
I did the first image yesterday under similar conditions and it performed as advertised. Because of some restrictions to bending and such from recent cataract surgery, it is a rather mundane shot - but I wanted to try it out. This afternoon in absolutely abhorrent conditions, I made a similar 15 second exposure and got this weird "purple area" in the middle of the frame. Can anyone explain what caused this? Filter is clean as a whistle and all shots made without the filter are free and clear.

Big stopper one: Bridge shot

Big Stopper two: Dock

Title: Re: Big Stopper anomoly
Post by: stamper on February 24, 2014, 03:51:03 am
Light leakage? I take it you inserted the filter into it's holder? If there is gap anywhere between the holder and the lens then light entering could be a problem?
Title: Re: Big Stopper anomoly
Post by: dgberg on February 24, 2014, 06:35:10 am
Light leak on the sensor through the eye piece viewfinder.
If your camera has the eye piece shutter cover you need to use it.
That will usually do the trick.
Title: Re: Big Stopper anomoly
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 24, 2014, 07:37:09 am
Thanks, guys. I narrowed it down to some type of light leak and in my excitement to use this filter completely forgot the viewfinder cover. Fortunately, the D800 has this feature. I always feel silly when I make a simple mistake but it is how we learn, eh.
Title: Re: Big Stopper anomoly
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 24, 2014, 08:35:31 am
Issue resolved. Light leak through viewfinder. Took two test exposures this am. Thanks again.