Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: bernhardAS on February 22, 2014, 11:14:07 am

Title: Kitchen Stories
Post by: bernhardAS on February 22, 2014, 11:14:07 am
Wow! That was for a long time the most interesting and inspiring article. I do like to read gear reviews. And sometimes I do like the very technical articles for example about printing and color calibration. However this article is about pushing boundaries in photography.

And pushing boundaries as I understand it by taking images no one has taken before, and not by pondering over whether the 2345th pixel in the 234th row could be sharper by using an specific ball head. 

The kind of topic I would love to see more of.

Thank you!

Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 22, 2014, 11:41:25 am
Yup.
Fun Stuff, much more creative than bitching over F-Stops, Diffraction Limits, Camera Design or Color Accuracy.
More of that !
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Kevin Raber on February 22, 2014, 11:43:04 am
Thanks and a special thanks to Jackie.  We have more articles like this planned and in the works.  Jackie is one of the most refreshing photographers to meet in person.  A can do attitude with a creative mind and eye.  I have had a lot of fun with her and her equally talented husband Mike.  Her images are original and beautiful too see in print.  I hope we can convince her to contribute another article in the future.  I am happy she will be doing two workshops with us in the next year.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 22, 2014, 02:14:18 pm
Wonderful article!
Her fun-loving attitude and photos are in a similar spirit to Rob C's "Miss Coke" photos.
Do please get more of her work.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: DaveCurtis on February 22, 2014, 04:54:03 pm
Wonderful work.

It is not often that we see original ideas these days.

... and all shot in my backyard  :)
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: bcf on February 22, 2014, 05:03:11 pm
<curmudgeon>
So this was not a joke?
</curmudgeon>
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: OnyimBob on February 22, 2014, 05:10:49 pm
"In 2013 the larger body of work was printed and exhibited as monochrome prints at the Auckland Photo Festival and at the  Ballarat International Foto Biannele in Australia. I wanted to make the work more personal so I wrote around the edge of the prints, describing where the objects were found and what I thought about them.  I have added a unique texture overlay and border in order to the enhance the old time antique feel of the objects and to reinforce the connection of the viewer to their own memories."
I saw Jackie's show in Ballarat last year and it was among the best of the Biennale! I remember that as I walked around I kept thinking, the landscapes behind the kitchen stuff made wonderful images in themselves - then the utensils added a layer of playfulness that in no way detracted from the landscapes - THEN the words Jackie added to the edges just totally completed the works. A triumph of whimsy and vision!
It was all in all a very satisfying experience! Congratulations Jackie.
Bob.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: nutcracker on February 22, 2014, 05:47:54 pm
Jackie Ranken in Antarctica - a new version of penguins in flight, Kevin?
Sounds like even more fun down far south in 2015.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Robert Roaldi on February 22, 2014, 10:22:43 pm
Love the flying toaster. I had never seen an egg poacher before.

Thanks for this article.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Pelao on February 23, 2014, 07:50:34 am
Yup.
Fun Stuff, much more creative than bitching over F-Stops, Diffraction Limits, Camera Design or Color Accuracy.
More of that !
Cheers
~Chris

True. Very true.

Inspiring stuff. It's great to read Kevin's note that we will read more like this.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: W.T. Jones on February 23, 2014, 02:20:08 pm
Kevin, you said (or perhaps it was implied, I cannot remember) when you came onboard you were going to bring some interesting things to the table. This qualifies, Jackie's concept is so far out & interesting. The results are pleasently unexpected sand refreshing. I like people that "draw outside the lines" Jackie you are one cool lady! Great story.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 23, 2014, 11:56:16 pm
This is indeed refreshing and fun, but above all, very high quality. and the B&W work also has a flavour of the current trend, which is looking retro:)
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: Jan K. on February 24, 2014, 11:53:53 am
If I may refer to it, there was a longer article in the February edition of f11 Magazine.

http://www.f11magazine.com/site/
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: AFairley on February 24, 2014, 06:41:31 pm
Not my cup of tea.  In the slightest.  At all.
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: graeme on February 25, 2014, 06:06:07 am
Not my cup of tea.  In the slightest.  At all.

Nor mine, but I loved her 'Arial Abstracts':

http://www.jackieranken.co.nz/Portfolio/tabid/143/AlbumID/576-18/Default.aspx
Title: Re: Kitchen Stories
Post by: MarkL on February 27, 2014, 09:32:52 am
Not my cup of tea.  In the slightest.  At all.

Likewise, I'm not convinced I get what random things found in a kitchen photographed in front of landscapes is meant to say. I appreciate the spirit in which is has been done though rather hard to take seriously.