Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Robert DeCandido PhD on February 17, 2014, 04:43:39 pm

Title: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on February 17, 2014, 04:43:39 pm
Hi-

Has anyone used the Carry Speed LCD "loupe" (optic) to shoot with? It is this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130918643966?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

here are two reviews:

http://thelocationcrew.com/blog/is-carry-speeds-lcd-4-viewfinder-a-zacuto-killer/

http://www.photographyandcinema.com/products/lcd-view-finder

===============================

anyway, I was wondering if using such an optic helps stabilize taking photos with the Sigma Merrills? Any downsides, such as making buttons/menus inaccessible, etc.?

My plan is to use the DP Merrill 3 for hand-held photography in the great outdoors where stray light would affect the viewing the rear LCD for composition and also reviewing results...setting menu options etc.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: The Ute on February 17, 2014, 10:46:48 pm
I use a Hoodman Loupe which is very similar.

It works great and it's cheaper.

I recommend it.

Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: francois on February 18, 2014, 06:18:12 am
I'm also using a Hoodman Loupe and I like it.
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on February 18, 2014, 07:33:33 am
The Hoodman Loupe is also an option but I keep reading how it is overpriced and poorly made...and the method of securing it to the LCD is not so good...
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: francois on February 18, 2014, 07:46:32 am
The Hoodman Loupe is also an option but I keep reading how it is overpriced and poorly made...and the method of securing it to the LCD is not so good...

I have to agree that the Hoodman Loupe is not well made and the elastic thing is not optimal at all but it works. It could also be cheaper, it wouldn't hurt.
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: joezl on February 21, 2014, 10:54:19 pm
I've owned a DP2m for a little over a year. The 24 x 36 inch prints I produce from this camera rival prints from my Canon 5D2 with Zeiss and Canon L lenses. I usually use the camera with a tripod but I essentially bought it as a carry everywhere camera. I've come to the realization that I really hate using this camera when handheld. The reason is the pitiful little Sigma optical viewfinder I have attached to the hot shoe. I wear glasses and I cannot see the entire bright line frame when composing a photo. There is not enough flange area around the eyepiece either to shield out extraneous light. I can't stand using the rear LCD with arms extended like a wobbly sleep walker or Frankenstein's monster taking it's first nascent steps toward the light. The glare and reflections bouncing off the LCD don't help when composing a shot either. Maybe I'm just too old and grouchy to get used to "new" technology.
This is very disappointing because I love working with the rich, deeply robust files this little camera produces. I quickly tried a voigtlander finder once in a camera store but I recall not being very impressed with it either. I considered a Hoodman but it's such a cumbersome rig that I know I'll end up wrestling with it as well. Has anyone tried different makes of optical viewfinders with this camera that are better than the Sigma viewfinder? And... if Sigma is listening, please make an accessory EVF for the DPm series. The camera is not much good if you can't see through it.
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: aduke on February 21, 2014, 11:22:17 pm
I've owned a DP2m for a little over a year. The 24 x 36 inch prints I produce from this camera rival prints from my Canon 5D2 with Zeiss and Canon L lenses. I usually use the camera with a tripod but I essentially bought it as a carry everywhere camera. I've come to the realization that I really hate using this camera when handheld. The reason is the pitiful little Sigma optical viewfinder I have attached to the hot shoe. I wear glasses and I cannot see the entire bright line frame when composing a photo. There is not enough flange area around the eyepiece either to shield out extraneous light. I can't stand using the rear LCD with arms extended like a wobbly sleep walker or Frankenstein's monster taking it's first nascent steps toward the light. The glare and reflections bouncing off the LCD don't help when composing a shot either. Maybe I'm just too old and grouchy to get used to "new" technology.
This is very disappointing because I love working with the rich, deeply robust files this little camera produces. I quickly tried a voigtlander finder once in a camera store but I recall not being very impressed with it either. I considered a Hoodman but it's such a cumbersome rig that I know I'll end up wrestling with it as well. Has anyone tried different makes of optical viewfinders with this camera that are better than the Sigma viewfinder? And... if Sigma is listening, please make an accessory EVF for the DPm series. The camera is not much good if you can't see through it.

I agree that this camera is very difficult to use handheld. I am too shaky to handhold at less than 10 times the focal length. Not having an OVF, the LCD is often unviewable. So, I carry a light, carbon tripod and a hoodman. This means that my procedure is different than what I  use with other cameras, but the results are compelling.

Alan
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on February 22, 2014, 12:37:32 am
the Carry Speed LCD "loupe" (optic) to shoot with - it is this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130918643966?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

here are two reviews:

http://thelocationcrew.com/blog/is-carry-speeds-lcd-4-viewfinder-a-zacuto-killer/

http://www.photographyandcinema.com/products/lcd-view-finder

and user comments from over at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Cinema-VF-4-LCD-Universal/product-reviews/B00D2J4USO/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on February 22, 2014, 12:55:35 am
or this one:

http://cheesycam.com/new-kamerar-qv-1-lcd-view-finder-kit-qb-15-quick-base/
Title: Re: Sigma Merrill question
Post by: joezl on February 22, 2014, 09:42:30 pm
Thanks Robert. The Carry Speed looks like it might work though it looks pretty large. I'll try and track one down.