Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: henrikfoto on February 15, 2014, 07:25:43 pm

Title: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: henrikfoto on February 15, 2014, 07:25:43 pm
I am considdering a switch to Pentax 645 when the new camera comes out.
But I have never use this brand and I wonder how good are these lenses compared
to Phase one and Hasselblad lenses?

Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: JV on February 15, 2014, 10:50:08 pm
An older thread on the same topic:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=76060.0
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: henrikfoto on February 16, 2014, 07:18:33 am
An older thread on the same topic:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=76060.0


Thank you! Interesting thread.

But I have anyone seen tests or mtf graphs for Pentax 645 lenses?
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: Scotty-S on February 16, 2014, 02:37:37 pm
I have the 55DFA and the 90DFA and they are great.

The 90DFA resolves detail like I have never seen.  Very sharp and great colour.  In distant scenes you can make out individual leaves etc.  from what I hear the 120FA macro is similar.

I am a landscape shooter and I like the 645d, but can't wait for the new model with live view.

Also, I use the 35A and it is sharp corner to corner when focused correctly for the scene.  You need to stop down more with MF due to the fact the lenses are longer for any given field of view compared to a dslr.

Scott
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: henrikfoto on February 16, 2014, 03:36:53 pm
Thank you Scott!

Have you used other digital medium-format systems you can compare with?
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: tsjanik on February 16, 2014, 09:03:22 pm
Some are excellent, some good.  I know of no MTF data on the web.  This is old, but may be of interest:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/pentax645_fa35mm.html
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: mikeSF_ on March 12, 2014, 12:49:20 am
SHHhhhhhhh!
if the word gets out, EVERYONE will want a Pentax.
 ;D
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: Brian Hirschfeld on March 12, 2014, 01:41:48 am
By all accounts I have heard that they are very good. The most intriguing thing for me about them is that they have a number of autofocus telephoto lenses (a couple beyond 300mm) which could open up some possibilities especially with the cropped 50mp CMOS sensor because of 1) the crop factor and 2) higher-ISO performance. It will be interesting to see the reports about this camera when it comes out officially, thats for sure.
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: MrSmith on March 12, 2014, 04:07:02 am
There is an advertorial review of the IQ250 here where they mention that pentax lenses are not as good as the competition

http://fstoppers.com/review-of-the-phase-one-iq250-medium-format-cmos-back (http://fstoppers.com/review-of-the-phase-one-iq250-medium-format-cmos-back)


"The images below were taken with the help of my friends at Digital Transitions, one of the biggest Phase One resellers in the US, who helped arrange for a studio and Phase One IQ260 back "

"Based on the opinion of a few photographers that are familiar with the Pentax system, their lenses cannot touch the offerings by Phase One and Hasselblad."

I read it on the Internet so it must be true?
 ::)
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: tsjanik on March 12, 2014, 09:21:46 am

..............."Based on the opinion of a few photographers that are familiar with the Pentax system, their lenses cannot touch the offerings by Phase One and Hasselblad.".................................


A carefully-worded disingenuous statement.  Pentax has only three lenses offered in the US (25, 55 and 90mm); so yes, they can’t “touch “the lens offerings from Phase and Hasselblad
Phase must be very concerned about the Pentax to allow such statements to appear.
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: MrSmith on March 12, 2014, 09:48:39 am
a local dealer lists 17 lenses from 25-400mm including 3 zooms and a 2 macro.
why only a few lenses in the U.S?
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: tsjanik on March 12, 2014, 10:04:24 am
A decision made by Pentax USA, who were reluctant to even offer the 645D.
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: orc73 on March 13, 2014, 12:12:48 am
pitty they don't have leaf shutters and a sync speed of only 1/125s
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: mikeSF_ on March 13, 2014, 01:27:58 am
assuming you mean AF lenses?  Their are at least 2 Pentax leaf shutter manual focus A-lenses available that give 1/500th.
Title: Re: How good are the Pentax 645 lenses?
Post by: Sumi on July 17, 2014, 06:56:52 pm
There is an advertorial review of the IQ250 here where they mention that pentax lenses are not as good as the competition

It appears that you've misread the article.  You mention that the article states that Pentax lenses aren't as good, but the article actually refers to the quantity, not quality, of lenses offered by Pentax as not being as good Phase.  At the time that article was written that was correct.  However, since then Pentax has announced that all 17 of their lenses for the 645 system will be available for the US market.

As a 645D shooter, I can confirm that Pentax lens' hold their own and I'd put them up against anything from Phasy or Hassy.  Their lenses are extremely sharp with great contrast and color rendition.  To see for yourself, go to 500PX.com and do an image search for 645D - you will be pleasantly surprised.