Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: greenkomodo on February 11, 2014, 06:50:21 pm
-
Hey everyone.
My sharpness is different when I'm exporting out of Lightroom.
I am using .tiff, no resizing, sRGB. I have tried output sharpening but that doesn't do anything. Tried viewing in windows default viewer and picasa with colour management on, still same thing.
You see, still not quite as crisp.
http://i.imgur.com/HNr8mri.jpg
I uploaded the .dng below if you want to try it yourself
https://mega.co.nz/#!9lEDDA4B!r1ArO4ghDFf2qJ_dPEKNMajSHQFfgJm9M7xxTQ_1JKE
-
Not quite sure what I am meant to be seeing in the two images.
On my screens, both look a bit over-sharpened and over-saturated.
-
One picture isn't quite as sharp as the other.
-
To me this looks massively over-sharpened. Look at the artifacts in the out of focus areas.
In any case scaling on-screen plays a major role. The only reliable view is exactly 100% or 1:1 - one image pixel represented by exactly one screen pixel. Any other ratio will introduce softening, and resampling (scaling) algorithms are different from app to app.
-
Looks oversharpened to me as well. The differences you see may be related to scaling and how your particular application handles such.
You could try this and see if it makes a difference.
Right click on the program you are using to view e.g. Picasa and select Properties then click on the Compatibility tab and in settings tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings - any change to way image displays?
-
Just a thought.
In order to compare apples with apples why not re-import that exported JPEG and view it from within Lightroom and decide whether the issues are really there or not.
Tony Jay
-
I have downloaded the original DNG file and Processed through LR 5.3. with the original posters settings. Exported the file as tiff no additional or resizing done at export.
Screen captures at fit and 1:1 in Library mode to compare the DNG and exported tiff. Apart from the excessive sharpening I do not see what his problem is for my part the exported file matches the DNG file with his edits. I have never used Picasa so I cannot comment on its rendition of the exported image
-
Could you upload the jpeg or tiff so I can compare to my export?
-
This is the link to the tiff I created.
https://www.hightail.com/download/elNLb2VDZ2c1R05MWE1UQw
See also a screen capture of my quick adjustments to compare with the original posters settings at 1:1 view.
-
What version of LR? I seem to recall a bug in Export and sharpening a few dot releases back (sorry can't recall which version). Make sure you've go the latest version. Also, be sure you are examining sharpness in LR only in Develop at 1:1 (or better) and view the exported image the same way (100% in Photoshop).
-
What version of LR? I seem to recall a bug in Export and sharpening a few dot releases back (sorry can't recall which version). Make sure you've go the latest version. Also, be sure you are examining sharpness in LR only in Develop at 1:1 (or better) and view the exported image the same way (100% in Photoshop).
If memory serves this issue only applied to severely cropped images - I forget how small the pixel dimensions needed to be now.
Tony Jay
-
If memory serves this issue only applied to severely cropped images - I forget how small the pixel dimensions needed to be now.
Yup, just find this post of Eric's on another forum:
Internally we've found the root cause of this issue. In a nutshell, images exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain output sharpening / noise reduction settings.