Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Remo Nonaz on February 11, 2014, 01:19:19 pm
-
This past weekend I shot a retirement party for a friend of my wife. On Sunday I reviewed the images and put about 50 of them in a new collection for further processing. I went through these, and when I was done, I exported all of the images in the collection as medium sized jpgs (for making small prints and screen images) and put them in a folder inside the master folder for all the images. (Not the collection folder.)
After doing this, I looked at the file structure in Windows and did not see the jpg folder. Not being entirely sure that I had done it right, I went back and exported the images again. This time the folder showed up in the file structure of Windows and Lr. Great!
However, when I went to Lr, in the master folder, not a subfolder, I had the original dngs, the jpgs and the worked on dngs. Crap! A messy file with everything thrown into one place. So, I deleted the jpgs and worked-on images using the sort classifications at the top right of the Library panel.
After doing this, I realized that the collection I had set up was empty. Furthermore, all of jpg files, including the ones in the sub folder, were gone. I was able to recover the jpgs as they were in the trash folder and I moved them back. As far as I know, the adjusted images are gone, which is unfortunate, but not catastrophic as I have the jpgs and can re-do the dngs if anything needs to be printed in large format.
I believe that what happened is that the collection ties its images back to the master file and puts a new virtual image there, which is linked to the collection. When I deleted the virtual images in the master folder, I also deleted the images in the collection. I also think that the jpgs I was seeing in the master folder, were actually the images from the subfolder, though I don’t think I have the feature to show images from sub folders turned on. (Have to check.) It is a bit mysterious.
Am I on the right track to understand this? What is a good reference for understanding this better? Clearly, my understanding is less than perfect.
-
I also think that the jpgs I was seeing in the master folder, were actually the images from the subfolder, though I don’t think I have the feature to show images from sub folders turned on. (Have to check.)
I suspect this is the problem... be interested to hear how this checks out.
-
Remo, no image in a collection is duplicated.
All that happens is that the catalog references the original image.
As soon as you kill the image in the master collection it will disappear from the collection, because it presence in the collection is merely via a reference from the original image.
I have to say that this information is not hidden away - no explanation, of any quality, explaining how Lightroom and its catalog works with reference to collections, that I have read, fails to mention this.
Nonetheless, this issues is a source of confusion, and potential disaster, and I have dealt with several similar issues, on other fora, in just the last few days.
It all comes down to knowing one's tools.
Tony Jay
-
I went and checked my settings: "Show Photos in Subfolders" was checked, which is why I saw the jpgs in the wrong place and deleted them.