Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jferrari on February 07, 2014, 08:20:35 pm
-
Has anyone discovered a way to combat the warping that occurs when drymounting to foamcore in a vacuum heat press? Currently, upon completion of the appropriate cycle, I remove the mount from the press, flip it onto the work table and place the weight on the back. Literally it took you longer to read this than it takes me to get the weight on the print. However, I am still getting unacceptable warping toward the print side of the mount. I am using 1/4" MightyCore and a press temperature of 190 degrees. Any ideas? Thanks. - Jim
-
Apply same mount to back side.
-
With a dry mount press it's easy to have this happen and some foam core brands are worse than others.
I have found that the acid free foam core is a little less prone to warp cost more but it's work saving. But when you get a lot that's warping.my solution was like yours. I would find a large enough flat surface lat the print down with the Larson release board on it, and lay a box of glass same size as the foam core on top while the print cures. After about 10 minutes your can remove it and you should be fine. Of course a bit of heavy work.
The other solution I found that worked was once the heat on the press was off and the press cooled you can repress the prints. Use a new clean piece of foam core and flip the mounted print upside down so the mounted print faces the new piece do foam core. Just make sure there is no trash on the new sheet as is will get pressed into the mounted print.
Paul Caldwell
-
Thanks Tom and Paul for your responses. I'm already using the weight, maybe the problem is related to the MightyCore product. I'll give gator a try.
-
Gator can still warp and depending on the weight of paper you are using, it may show the rough surface through to the print. I would consider Beinfang rag mount if you go with Gator, as it's a thicker material all will give you some padding between the gator. I would also try the Acid Free Foam core. or you could move to 1/2 foam core. This will be cheaper than 1/4" gator and won't warp. Only issue will be the size of the frame as you will need a 1/2 rabbet on your frame or just a bit more depth.
Paul C.
-
Is a cold mounting an option? This would not add the thermal shrinking problems. Or a product that is the equivalent of Masonite, although its not acid free. Or Alucore? www.alucobond.com/alucore
-
As with many things in life it boils down to price. I have a target price point which I could meet if the MightyCore would not warp. Difficult to achieve that price point using other substrates or methods. - Jim
-
Its mighty core a good replacement for Gatorfoam if I want to mount canvas with miracle muck ? Price seems to be good.
Easier to cut?
-
Bill reported earlier that the Gator and MightyCore were similar except for the thickness. I have not worked with the Gatorboard or MM yet but maybe Bill or Dan can help you with that.