Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: sharperstill on February 01, 2014, 04:24:16 am
-
Has anyone seen a clamp that will securely attach to a tripod leg? I'm thinking with a Manfrotto magic arm, a cheap Arca style ball head and such a clamp a platform for shooting tethered could be rigged up.
Jon
-
There's lots of solutions for this, but you need to be careful not to clamp too hard and damage the tripod leg.
A Manfrotto super clamp is a very versatile bit of kit, there are also a few cheaper Chinese clones of it in various sizes (most of which aren't quite so good).
-
I have some Super Clamps. I was thinking of something that might go around the tube more than a Super Clamp. Possibly something I could leave attached. The Manfrotto 058 is the tripod in question, so quite sturdy.
-
Some sort of a band clamp would probably be your best bet as it would provide equal pressure all around the leg. Still, tripod legs (so far as I know) are designed more for longitudinal pressure rather than radial pressure, so I don't know how much you can load one up before it buckles. Have you asked the tripod manufacturer?
Mike.
-
Tripod legs have to be reasonably tough, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use clamps to adjust their lengths.
Carbon fibre legs are the ones to be particularly careful of. CF can be very brittle and only has strength in specifically designed directions. Clamping incorrectly may shatter the legs rather more easily than you'd expect.
-
Tripod legs have to be reasonably tough, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use clamps to adjust their lengths.
Carbon fibre legs are the ones to be particularly careful of. CF can be very brittle and only has strength in specifically designed directions. Clamping incorrectly may shatter the legs rather more easily than you'd expect.
Yes, CF is aligned almost parallel to the length - ie: CF is not isotropic.
The advantage of twist locks - they exert uniform force around the circumference of the tube thereby minimizing localized forces.
Local buckling is generally why tubes fail when used as compression elements (columns in buildings or tripod legs are compression elements); a small localized force causes a misalignment of the wall, and the tube fails very easily.
-
I have some Super Clamps. I was thinking of something that might go around the tube more than a Super Clamp. Possibly something I could leave attached. The Manfrotto 058 is the tripod in question, so quite sturdy.
This : http://www.cardelliniclamp.com/cardellini_clamps
in combination with something from tethertools http://www.shop.tethertools.com/Tether-Tables-Accessories_c13.htm is what you want.
I shoot wirelessly tethered using an iPad Retina using the CamRanger systems http://www.camranger.com
Here is my rig when I shoot with the iPad mounted to the tripod, but usually I am at a distance from the camera and handholding the iPad or have it resting on something.
A right angle 3" Cardellini clamp with a Tethertools Connect (http://www.shop.tethertools.com/Connect-WCONX.htm) holds the iPad in it's Wallee shell. th optional Wallee Bumper goes around the standard Wallee shell.
-
Thanks Ellis
-
Has anyone seen a clamp that will securely attach to a tripod leg? I'm thinking with a Manfrotto magic arm, a cheap Arca style ball head and such a clamp a platform for shooting tethered could be rigged up.
Jon
You might be better off with a DigiPlate: http://www.nine-volt.com I use the DigiPlate Lite with the tripod bracket and it is pretty sweet.