Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: gerafotografija on January 27, 2014, 11:56:53 am

Title: All new "Original" setting in the Ricoh GR firmware update - with example
Post by: gerafotografija on January 27, 2014, 11:56:53 am
I was interested to try the new firmware release and thought I would share my observations about the "original" Ambient Light setting that was added.

Overall, I like the effect, but I am guessing it may be just leaving the vignetting lens correction off. Not a bad thing considering many of the vintage raw processing filters use a little vignetting.

I posted more examples on my blog, (http://gerafotografija.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/gr-firmware-update-and-the-all-new-original-film-look/) but here is one pair that I think demonstrates the new setting pretty well.

Does anyone on the forum know how the new ambient brightness setting actually works?

Original film setting first

(http://gerafotografija.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/20140126-221541.jpg)

Normal digital setting next

(http://gerafotografija.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/20140126-221550.jpg)

It is reasonably subtle in good lighting, but can have more of an impact in poor lighting situations. Perceptually the peripheral vignetting seems to increase contrast and maybe even saturation a bit, but I haven't checked the files at the pixel level to see if these differences are real or not.

---
Updated to add a link to additional discussion on DPR.

After looking at the photos a little more, I am starting to believe the idea that this new feature could be a combination of enhanced s-curve for global contrast and turning off de-vignetting. This thread on DPR  (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52984781)includes a few more opinions.

Now I'm curious to find out how many people plan to use this routinely.