Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: psbjjb1 on January 26, 2014, 06:57:35 am

Title: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: psbjjb1 on January 26, 2014, 06:57:35 am
Hi,

     Will 4x5 Fidelity dark slides work effectively in 4x5 Toyo film holders?
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 26, 2014, 09:41:20 am
Hi,

     Will 4x5 Fidelity dark slides work effectively in 4x5 Toyo film holders?
Probably. I haven't tried that particular combination, but the specs for film holders are pretty precise, and I have swapped dark slides between Fidelities and some other anonymous (bought used) brand successfully. Try one and see.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: psbjjb1 on January 26, 2014, 01:47:18 pm
Thanks Eric.  That's exactly what I've done. In my attempt to keep all my equipment, accessories, etc. warm while shooting during last weeks "arctic blast", I placed everything, with the exception of my camera  ::), under my down jacket.  My Toyo dark slide fell out from beneath it and is now, I'm sad to say, a permanent fixture in Potomac ice.............  at least until Spring.  With the expense of the Toyo brand, I was hoping the Fidelity dark slide would suffice.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: NancyP on January 27, 2014, 12:37:29 pm
How do you buy a used film holder? What do you look for? Are there some brands that are better than others? Are new film holders "better"? Film holders don't seem too complicated, they just need to flatten the film well and keep it dark.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: rpsphoto on January 27, 2014, 02:29:02 pm
How do you buy a used film holder? What do you look for? Are there some brands that are better than others? Are new film holders "better"? Film holders don't seem too complicated, they just need to flatten the film well and keep it dark.

Nancy,

The big issues with film holders are dust and light leaks. New film holders rarely have these issues and if they do they can usually be exchanged. Used film holders are normally ok but can suffer from dust in the holder to light leaks. Most often these are caused by extreme use, warping or abuse that makes the holder loose or flimsy. The good news is that used film holders are normally not an expensive item, unlike their new brethren, and you won't be out big bucks if one or two are bad.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: psbjjb1 on January 27, 2014, 05:57:33 pm
You need to be wary though.......  I purchased "like new" Fidelity film holders on Ebay.  Never had a problem with Toyo or Fidelity in 35 years of large format photography.  "Like new" holders are normally never a problem.  However, even with cleaning, I discovered fine sand in between the dark slide grooves.  Unfortunately, I discovered the sand after I began loading them in my Calumet changing tent.  Sand in every seam.  Luckily, I have a computer vacuum that was able to rectify all situations. 
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: NancyP on January 27, 2014, 06:25:16 pm
Do all film holders keep the film equally flat?
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: psbjjb1 on January 27, 2014, 06:30:20 pm
I can't answer for other companies, but I've never had a problem with Toyo or Fidelity.  Fidelity holders are relatively inexpensive when purchased new.  That's the route I'd personally go.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: JeanMichel on January 27, 2014, 07:09:52 pm
Hi,
There are probably a few Graflex Grafmatics available used. Load 6 sheets into one unit. They always worked like a charm for me, in the days…
Jean-Michel
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: NancyP on January 28, 2014, 11:06:30 am
Thanks, folks. I am working on assembling a 4 x 5 kit, and am a complete and utter newbie at this.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: Marlyn on January 29, 2014, 04:00:11 am
Quickloads !!
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: NancyP on January 29, 2014, 12:30:08 pm
Does anyone still make Quickload format film?
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: elliot_n on January 29, 2014, 02:54:08 pm
No. Quickloads and Readyloads ceased production some time ago. (Very occasionally boxes of expired film appear on eBay.)

I shot my last Readyload last week (expiry date 2008).

Have since stocked up on Toyo film holders and boxes of 10 sheets Kodak Portra. Shocked at how prices have gone up so quickly - £60 for a film holder, £50 for a box of film.
Title: Re: 4x5 Toyo film holder / Fidelity dark slide?
Post by: RobertJ on January 29, 2014, 03:31:03 pm
My favorites are used Riteway holders, the original kind, not the newer version.

Toyo is probably the best, but it seems like my film slants at a slight angle in the holder, while the other holders keep it straight.  It doesn't really matter though, just when I get the film back, the image is at a slight diagonal, while others have perfect even borders around the edge of the film where it wasn't exposed.