Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: wlemann on January 21, 2014, 05:02:19 pm
-
Can you give me detailed instructions for setting up roll printing in LR5, please. I am confused regarding setting up paper size, printable area and margins.
Thanks, Walter
-
What printer? What OS?
-
Epson 7900
Mac OS 10.?
-
First off, are you familiar with printing in general and Lightroom in particular? If not, a forum post won't really be the right place to try to learn this...there are videos and books you should turn to.
The bottom line is you'll want to click on the Page Setup button, select the correct printer then select the paper. There are certain sizes that are intended for sheets (usually Sheet is highlighted) so select a different size. Then on the Print Settings and select the correct print driver parameters based on the Page Setup settings. Ideally, you'll then want to create a print Template so you can easily get back to the setup in the future.
Shameless plug: The Digital Print (http://www.amazon.com/The-Digital-Print-Preparing-Lightroom/dp/0321908457/ref=pd_sim_b_1) and Camera to Print & Screen (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/tutorials/camera_to_print_and_screen.shtml).
-
Both books are a must have. Jeff Schewe's knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom and digital processing in general in par excellence.
-
Both books are a must have. Jeff Schewe's knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom and digital processing in general in par excellence.
Absolutely.
-
Walter,
even though I own an HP Z printer and I am on Windows I assume that most of the stuff that needs to be dealt with is related to your printer driver, or RIP if you are using one. LR's printing module is really straight forward and can handle everything--in terms of paper sizes, be it sheets or rolls--what your printer can handle. So, when it comes to printing my advice is to firstly spend some time to learn your printer driver. BTW, setting up custom paper sizes and layouts in LR is alike defining presets.
Kind regards
Thomas
-
Agreed. Both books are a must. The Digital Negative & The Digital Print.
However, C2P2S is a video tutorial :P And also a must see!
-
Thanks to all. I am familiar with printing, mainly with PS and ImagePrint. I got Jeff's book and it looks great. I still remain confused and was, even with IP, in setting driver for roll paper. Assuming I setup a custom size, do I simply choose the length arbitrarily, center the image on the paper and it will cut at the length I chose?
Thanks for your help. Jeff, thanks for your great book. I have most of your tutorials with Michael.
-
Yes, when you add a new custom size to the list, set the width equal to the paper roll width and set the length to whatever you require. The printer will cut it off at that length. At least my 4900 does; I assume a 7900 will too. (I always leave the margins at the 4900's default of 0.)