Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 11:24:55 am

Title: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 11:24:55 am
Can anyone help me with this?

I enter keywords in Lightroom's library module by clicking Command-K. In the last few weeks, the software is pausing when I start typing a keyword. For example, I might try to type SIGNS, but after I type the first couple letters it freezes and shows only the first letter until it comes up with signs from my already used keywords. This is a new behavior - it used to be instant.

I am on a macbook air with no other speed issues.

Thanks for any advice!

Kevin
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: john beardsworth on January 19, 2014, 11:46:39 am
As a first step, optimise your catalogue.

John
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 12:02:35 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I just did this and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Any other ideas?
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: john beardsworth on January 19, 2014, 12:06:43 pm
How many keywords do you have?
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kaelaria on January 19, 2014, 04:25:31 pm
How full is your hard drive?
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 04:28:08 pm
I have 740 keywords.
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 04:29:07 pm
I have 37 GB free on my hard drive.
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kaelaria on January 19, 2014, 04:49:50 pm
37 out of how many?
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kdern on January 19, 2014, 07:21:37 pm
37 GB out of 250 GB - so about 15% free.

Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: Tom Montgomery on January 19, 2014, 07:46:09 pm
I am seeing the same thing, on an i7 iMac with 32GB RAM and a 512GB SSD with 400+GB free. So I don't think it is a resource problem. After restarting Lr the rewording responds quickly, but slows down as I go along.
Title: Re: Keyword selection slowing down
Post by: kaelaria on January 19, 2014, 07:47:14 pm
NEVER fill a drive that much.   Performance goes WAY down when you are that full.  Try and keep your drives less than 50% capacity for best performance.  Move your stuff.