Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: bill wood on January 17, 2014, 04:10:19 pm

Title: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: bill wood on January 17, 2014, 04:10:19 pm
I have an Imac and both LR5 and PSCC.  My printer (Epson 3880) and monitor are calibrated using a ColorMunki, my paper (Epson Exhibition Fiber) was calibrated using the CM.  I use ProPhoto color space in all applications

My prints out of PSCC are almost spot on.  My prints from LR5 are much darker and a great deal bluer.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Bill
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: KeithR on January 17, 2014, 06:06:04 pm
Have you put in your paper profile in the correct place in LR print mod?
Have you set up your printer info correctly in LR as well?
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: bill wood on January 17, 2014, 07:16:06 pm
Thanks, Keith,

All printer settings are the same in both programs.  Color mgmt by the printer is turned off in both PS and LR, the Epson paper ICC is used in both cases.
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: dgberg on January 17, 2014, 07:42:06 pm
I believe you said in your first statement that you calibrated your paper with the colormunki.
Do you mean you created your own icc profile for Exhibition Fiber with the Munki?
I may be misunderstanding you but you also say you use the Epson profile? Are you using Epsons or your profile created with the Colormunki?
All that aside you should not be getting the differences you describe unless maybe you have the oem profile selected in PS and the custom profile selected in Lightroom and that profile is bad.
Can you do a screen shot of both.
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: bill wood on January 17, 2014, 07:52:04 pm
Dan,
You hit the nail on the head.  I used the ICC profile that I created for LR5, and the ICC profile that Epson provides for PS.
That was the 1st ICC profile I ever created...I guess I have work to do!!  It is really off.
s for your help and ideas.
Thanks for your help and ideas.
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: PhotoEcosse on January 18, 2014, 07:22:15 am
A wee bit off-topic and maybe a bit politically incorrect - but after years of carefully profiling everything and anything to suit all sorts of ink, papers, etc., I finally stopped the craziness.

Since upgrading from an Epson R1900 to an Epson R3000 a couple of years ago and simply calibrating my monitors with SpyderPro4, I find that I can get my prints pretty well spot-on (i.e. looking on paper like they do on my monitors) by telling both PS (rarely) and Lightroom (most of the time) to allow the Printer to manage the printing and using Epson's standard Colour and Advanced B&W profiles as appropriate. Those bog-standard profiles seem to work with all the papers I use (mainly Ilford Galerie Gold Mono Silk and Fotospeed Platinum Baryta, but ocasionally daft things like canvas).
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: luxborealis on January 18, 2014, 08:05:52 am
A wee bit off-topic and maybe a bit politically incorrect - but after years of carefully profiling everything and anything to suit all sorts of ink, papers, etc., I finally stopped the craziness.

Agreed!

I use the profiles designed for my papers by the manufacturer - primarily MOAB Entrada Natural and Canson Platine Fibre - for the printer I use - Epson 3880 - and after a test strip or two (which I would need to do anyway) the prints are bang on.
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: digitaldog on January 18, 2014, 11:53:56 am
Dan,
You hit the nail on the head.  I used the ICC profile that I created for LR5, and the ICC profile that Epson provides for PS.
That was the 1st ICC profile I ever created...I guess I have work to do!!  It is really off.
My experience with the Munki is the custom profiles are close to and in some cases slightly better than the supplied (Epson) profiles. YMMV but they should not be really off! Even with so few patches. Double check you've setup everything correctly in terms of printing the targets, dry down and that when using the new custom profile, the print driver settings are correct. The print from LR and Photoshop should match exactly with the same profile and settings. There IS an optional optimization process with Munki but you probably don't need it in most cases.
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: bill wood on January 18, 2014, 04:02:19 pm
Andrew,

Thanks for the advice.  Sunday I am going to try to make a useful ICC profile.  At least I know I can revert to Epson's profiles if I can't get it right.  All things printing are new to me, so this is an interesting adventure.

Bill
Title: Re: Printing in Lightroom 5 vs PS CC
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 19, 2014, 03:42:27 am
Agreed!

I use the profiles designed for my papers by the manufacturer - primarily MOAB Entrada Natural and Canson Platine Fibre - for the printer I use - Epson 3880 - and after a test strip or two (which I would need to do anyway) the prints are bang on.

I agree as well. Last year I thought I was having problems with my 3800 and Ilford GFS (of loving memory). Rhossydd kindly made a custom profile for me: it differed only very slightly from the Epson profile. It turned out, as so often, PEBKAC.

Jeremy