Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on January 17, 2014, 02:30:34 pm

Title: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: cjogo on January 17, 2014, 02:30:34 pm
Slept all nite on the lake -- Pentax 6X7 >  1979
Title: Re: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: Rob C on January 17, 2014, 03:10:40 pm
Slept all nite on the lake -- Pentax 6X7 >  1979

Beautiful tones - I had a 67 ll for about a year - had to let it go because of the bounces: everything that could bounce bounced. Perhaps if I'd known what the Internet would open up I might have thought again. It certainly doesn't show any bouncing on your image!

Rob C
Title: Re: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 17, 2014, 03:23:27 pm
Wonderful toning, shadow detail and composition.
One of your best!
Title: Re: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: cjogo on January 17, 2014, 05:31:48 pm
Beautiful tones - I had a 67 ll for about a year - had to let it go because of the bounces: everything that could bounce bounced. Perhaps if I'd known what the Internet would open up I might have thought again. It certainly doesn't show any bouncing on your image!

Rob C

Thanks for looking :-)

That Pentax needed a heavy tripod /mirror lock up / and a cable release ....
Title: Re: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: Rob C on January 18, 2014, 04:04:12 am
Thanks for looking :-)

That Pentax needed a heavy tripod /mirror lock up / and a cable release ....

So did mine; it lived on a huge Gitzo (bought for that purpose alone) but that solved nothing. I sometimes wondered if hand-held might not have been a more rewarding option, in that perhaps the body - mine - would have absorbed vibration rather than, as with the metal, just reflected it all around the place. But it was too heavy and cumbersome for holding and focussing, and that's when my eyes were excellent.

Michael used to have one too, and if memory serves, the same problems.

But it was actually a beautiful camera and I would have loved it to have worked out for me. I believe that the solution was a simple one: built-in shutters on all the lenses, not just two, and those two being ones I didn't need! An elongated format Hasselblad is what we would then have had. I thnk it would have outsold 'bladdy by quite a margin, if only for the larger format. But if you screw up electronic flash, then which pro can find much use for it, other than for non-person shots outside the studio?

Another wasted opportunity, and one for which they had at least two iterations in which to think, and get it right.

Rob C
Title: Re: Morning in the High Sierra
Post by: cjogo on January 18, 2014, 02:13:26 pm
I was just exploring leave the marvelous Rollei Sl 66 -- tried the Pentax ( very sharp long- tele lenses ~!) But needed leaf shutters .... stayed with a RB for many years -- and settled with the Hassy by the mid 80's.   The Makina 6X7 was a better hand held vs Pentax :-)