Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2014, 10:32:33 am

Title: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2014, 10:32:33 am
Here is a museum that not only permits but actively encourages photography, even with tripod.
A pumping station first constructed in the 19th century was retired in the late 20th century and made into a museum, with a wonderful collection of pumpers and tools from at least three generations. I first visited in the evening and had only a hand-held pocket Canon with me, but got several interesting shots. I returned later during the day with my 5DII and Gitzo to take more shots, and I have now put two galleries, one B&W and one Color, up on my website.

The machinery is lighted in interesting ways by incandescent lighting which is supplemented during the day by direct daylight coming in through large windows. This makes for an interesting mixture of colors. The structure of the machines is best shown in black and white, IMHO.

The black and white gallery is here: http://myrvaagnes.com/WWorks/index.php (http://myrvaagnes.com/WWorks/index.php)
and the color gallery is here: http://myrvaagnes.com/WWorksC/index.php (http://myrvaagnes.com/WWorksC/index.php)

Here are some samples:
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2014, 10:40:00 am
Here's a color image, showing the mixed light effect. I call this one "Silver and Gold."
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: RSL on January 16, 2014, 10:44:37 am
Good shooting, Eric. The second one reminds me of some of the stuff Lewis Hine did.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: francois on January 16, 2014, 10:52:47 am
Good work and I agree B&W is perfect but your colors images aren't bad at all! Bravo for this photographer-friendly museum, it's such a rarity.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: brandtb on January 16, 2014, 12:22:29 pm
very nice
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: muntanela on January 16, 2014, 02:29:13 pm
The first two images could be very suitable for the book I am reading and looking at: Technische Schönheit, with Photos by W. Roerts, E. O. Hoppè, A. Renger-Patzsch and others.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Rob C on January 16, 2014, 02:44:23 pm
Hi Eric,

Just the sort of location that would make me drool for a PC lens all over again!

For my tastes, I think these sorts of 'strength' structures demand black/white. Maybe that's because it's probably much the tradition, but also because I suspect that colour takes something away from the strength - prettifies it into less than what it is.

My two favourites are Nos. 8 and 17.

As someone else wrote, how fortunate to have both such a location as well as easy access!

Nice work, Eric.

Rob C
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: seamus finn on January 16, 2014, 04:10:58 pm
Stunning work, Eric.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2014, 05:36:01 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes, it's like having a candy factory close to home. I expect to make more visits in different kinds of weather. The black-and-whites are my favorites, too.

It also has free admission, and lots of fascinating information about the history of water and reservoirs for the Boston area. Boston and most local suburbs get their water from Quabbin Reservoir in the middle of the state. It was built in the 1930s by flooding four towns, sort of like Massachusetts' own "Hetch Hetchy."

The volunteer guides at the museum are all quite helpful and well-informed, and they will leave you alone to photograph or give you private tours as you wish.

Eric
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: WalterEG on January 16, 2014, 05:48:13 pm
I have a very soft spot for these motifs Eric, but sadly no access.

They are dignified and intriguing images and I am greatly enamoured of them.

Amazing how far the tentacles of Krupp reached in a given era.

Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Rob C on January 16, 2014, 05:56:14 pm
I have a very soft spot for these motifs Eric, but sadly no access.

They are dignified and intriguing images and I am greatly enamoured of them.

Amazing how far the tentacles of Krupp reached in a given era.




Not to mention the photographic style that followed the famous Newman portrait of him with the underlight!

I recall you posting a strong shot of a locomotive wheel (?) some time ago; remember it? Love steel.

Rob C
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 16, 2014, 06:24:03 pm
Great images Eric, especially the B/W version, which I find work a bit better than the color.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: WalterEG on January 16, 2014, 07:33:49 pm
Love steel.
Rob C

And steel (and other metals) seldom look better than when depicted on silver-rich bromide paper.  A tiny bit of very dilute Selenium toning and the spectacle is breathtaking.

Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2014, 11:25:01 pm
And steel (and other metals) seldom look better than when depicted on silver-rich bromide paper.  A tiny bit of very dilute Selenium toning and the spectacle is breathtaking.


Walter, I know what you mean. Would you like to buy my darkroom equipment that I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of? Very nice Beseler 4x5 enlarger, timers, trays, and I probably still have some 15- to 20-year old Selenium toner...   ;)

In a few days I hope to post some more "steel" images, from the steam room of an old electric products factory that is now part of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (called Mass MOCA) to the locals.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: cjogo on January 16, 2014, 11:44:58 pm
My bow to the B&W  -- right angles / wonderful tonal ~!
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: wolfnowl on January 17, 2014, 02:49:36 am
Beautiful work, Eric.  Thanks for sharing them!

Mike.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on January 17, 2014, 09:01:26 am
Lovely Eric, damn lovely.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 17, 2014, 11:26:45 am
Very engaging, Eric. I'm sure you'll be careful not to bump anything with your tripod.
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 17, 2014, 02:42:32 pm
I'm late but I'll join the chorus of approval, Eric. The b&w shots are gorgeous.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Boston WaterWorks Museum
Post by: graeme on January 17, 2014, 03:20:40 pm
Just looked at the Waterworks galleries Eric. To my own surprise I preferred the colour gallery. 09 & 21 are my favourites but I'm intrigued by 20 & I also really like 12 but would level it & straighten the verticals ( but I would say that ).

I love the limited colour pallete in these images & will be looking at them again.