Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ears on January 15, 2014, 06:10:42 am
-
HI There,
I know this camera is a little out of date, but I hope someone will remember the answer. I have started using this camera with a gigapan epic pro. When using manual mode to set the camera up it limits me to a 1/30 sec slowest shutter speed. This is useless at night. Is this possible to over ride or is there a trick ?bulb mode?
Help!
TIA
Ears
-
How are you going.
The 5D mark II certainly has a bulb function.
If you take the shutter speed past 30s it will go to bulb mode.
Some external cable release models have the ability to determine shutter speeds of any duration with accuracy.
I use the Promote Control release and it is fully customisable.
http://www.promotesystems.com
Tony Jay
-
As Tony says, you can set the mode dial to B (bulb mode). You might want to check out the wired remote switch (RS-80N3 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+remote+rs-80n3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta)), or the Timer Remote Controller (TC-80N3 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+remote+TC-80N3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=)).
-
Do you mean 1/30 (one thirtieth) of a second, or 30 seconds?
The longest shutter speed you can set in M mode is 30 seconds. If you can't set it below 1/30th, there is something wrong that I'm afraid I don't know how to fix. (IIRC there is a custom function related to flash exposure and aperture priority mode that limits the shutter speed - maybe that's turned on, and can affect M mode too?)
-
it is 1/30 not 30 sec in manual mode. not sure why? is it because the remote cord is connected?
-
Then something is wrong with the camera. Both the 5d and 5dmkii have 30secs as the longest shutter speed a user can set. Longer than that you need some form of a intervalometer like the Canon unit already mentioned. It's been a while since I shot with the mike but as I remember the dial actually has a bulb setting to turn too. To get 30 sec in manual mode you would just turn the shutter speed dial all the way to 30secs or use the info screen and change it from there.
Paul Caldwell
-
Full instructions for bulb exposures are on p. 99 of the 5DII user manual (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004270/02/eos5dmkii-im5-c-en.pdf).
-
HI There,
I know this camera is a little out of date, but I hope someone will remember the answer. I have started using this camera with a gigapan epic pro. When using manual mode to set the camera up it limits me to a 1/30 sec slowest shutter speed. This is useless at night. Is this possible to over ride or is there a trick ?bulb mode?
Help!
TIA
Ears
Go into your menus. It sounds like at some point you or someone else set a low end limit on shutter speeds to 1/30th second.
-
If in doubt do a factory reset of the camera.
It should do 30 seconds in manual mode.
-
Hi guys,
Thanks for all your help. I had time to sit down and in fact when not connected to the gigapan it works fine. 30 sec shutter speed is achievable. It is when the remote cable/gigapan connected that the shutter speed is limited. Not sure why, but I am trying to find out why on the gigapan website.
Thanks again
ears
-
Ears; Don't forget to post details of anything you find out about this. I'm surprised that just plugging in a release could have this sort of effect and it may effect other remote systems.
-
1/30th is the slowest it can go when shooting video iirc. Does it perhaps have something to do with that?
Ben
-
Not sure what kind of cable the Gigapan connects the 5d Mark II, but my mark II can go to 30 seconds when connecting a remote cord or and intervalometer.