Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: henrikfoto on January 14, 2014, 06:27:48 pm

Title: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: henrikfoto on January 14, 2014, 06:27:48 pm
Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
And if so will it be possible to use the af?
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 14, 2014, 08:39:24 pm
I have been wondering the same. I did search casually a bit for adapters but couldn't find anything.

Is this even possible in terms of flange distance?

If I were Leica I would simply release an F mount version of the S lenses... that would probably generate a lot more cash than the current Leica S camera lenses business.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Ed B on January 14, 2014, 09:55:07 pm

Is this even possible in terms of flange distance?

Cheers,
Bernard

Find out what the distance is and you'll have your answer.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: henrikfoto on January 15, 2014, 02:11:43 am


If I were Leica I would simply release an F mount version of the S lenses... that would probably generate a lot more cash than the current Leica S camera lenses business.

Cheers,
Bernard
[/quote]


That would be a good idea. I am on the waiting-list😊
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Rob C on January 15, 2014, 04:38:13 am
I have been wondering the same. I did search casually a bit for adapters but couldn't find anything.

Is this even possible in terms of flange distance?

If I were Leica I would simply release an F mount version of the S lenses... that would probably generate a lot more cash than the current Leica S camera lenses business.

Cheers,
Bernard

I wrote to them suggesting exactly that in conjunction with their lenses for 135 format photography at a time when I was considering buying Leitz for use with Nikon. All they suggested in their reply - at least they replied - was that I consider buying a reflex Leica... I had been through the R6 idea and the main problem was the less-than-100% viewing screen, which for my work, was hopeless: I couldn't afford to crop into the already tiny images.

But would Nikon have allowed that, even for a percentage on sales?

Rob C
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: peterv on January 15, 2014, 05:12:43 am
The flange focal distance for Nikon F-mount is 46,5 mm, the flange focal distance for Leica S-mount is 53 mm, according to David Farkas. I've tried to find a Wiki on the Leica S mount, but couldn't find it. Still, looking into my camera I think the flange focal distance indeed isn't much longer than 5 cm.

So there'd be 6,5 mm space for an adapter, which would make it physically possible. I don't know if there would be enough room for an integrated microprocessor that would allow the use of all the original functions of Leica S lenses.

It would be great if the autofocus system and manual override functions of the lenses were preserved. The same goes for the integrated central shutters of the CS lenses, though that would be very difficult because the Nikon mount has no protocol for leaf shutters, I think. Full electronic aperture control should allow the use of aperture priority, shutter speed priority, and program AE modes.

I think inevitably adapters will come, question is how smart they will be.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 15, 2014, 06:05:03 am
The flange focal distance for Nikon F-mount is 46,5 mm, the flange focal distance for Leica S-mount is 53 mm, according to David Farkas. I've tried to find a Wiki on the Leica S mount, but couldn't find it. Still, looking into my camera I think the flange focal distance indeed isn't much longer than 5 cm.

So there'd be 6,5 mm space for an adapter, which would make it physically possible. I don't know if there would be enough room for an integrated microprocessor that would allow the use of all the original functions of Leica S lenses.

It would be great if the autofocus system and manual override functions of the lenses were preserved. The same goes for the integrated central shutters of the CS lenses, though that would be very difficult because the Nikon mount has no protocol for leaf shutters, I think. Full electronic aperture control should allow the use of aperture priority, shutter speed priority, and program AE modes.

I think inevitably adapters will come, question is how smart they will be.

The problem is the market size:
- those S lenses are extremely expensive new, and few are available second hand,
- it remains to be seen whether AF would be fast enough to be usable, if not then it is only about image quality and it is unclear whether the S lenses are superior to the cheaper Zeiss Otus series.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: peterv on January 15, 2014, 07:10:08 am
That's right, this would only make sense with a smart adapter. If there's no AF and no way to set the aperture on a Nikon, then surely you'd be better of with an Otus with F-mount. The 55 mm Otus is ~ $4.000 The 70 mm Leica S, which is a 'normal' FOV on the S costs $5.000 For the price difference you get AF, aperture control on the camera, a larger (54 mm) image circle and a very usable f2,5. The Otus is f1,4 of course. I'd say in their native mounts the 70 mm gives more usability than an Otus F-mount.

The prices of the rest of the Otus family remain to be seen. Right now there's only 1 Otus, there are 10 Leica S lenses, of which 7 have the leaf shutter option.

AF on the S/S2 is not as fast as CaNikon, but extremely accurate.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: AreBee on January 15, 2014, 07:36:27 am
One effect not yet mentioned is that of the 1.25 crop factor when using an S lens on a Nikon FX body. For those interested in wides, the effect would be adverse.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Hulyss on January 15, 2014, 10:29:57 am
IMO, using S lenses on any 35mm DSLR is very strange, Except if you already have one or more S lenses.

If one adapter is crafted one day... this adapter will be a tad expensive especially if there is electric coupling. The actual Zeiss/SIGMA/Nikon park is enough right now to resolve the D800 and the Otus line will bloom over the next two years.

The S lenses are also huge bests !

For AF lenses I think the upcoming Nikon and Sigma lenses will do the job pretty well.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 15, 2014, 10:33:41 am
One effect not yet mentioned is that of the 1.25 crop factor when using an S lens on a Nikon FX body. For those interested in wides, the effect would be adverse.

A 70mm lens is a 70mm lens.

Since the sensor of the S is a bit larger, the 70mm behaves as a 50mm on FF, but there is no need to apply any crop factor to figure out how a 70mm will behave on FF. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: henrikfoto on January 15, 2014, 11:10:59 am
I think some of the Zeiss-lenses are great, but handheld just using the viewfinder it's hard not to miss a lot.
This will be even harder as the newer sensors of 54mp comes out.

Why don't Zeiss put AF into these great lenss??
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: AreBee on January 15, 2014, 01:09:33 pm
Bernard,

Quote
A 70mm lens is a 70mm lens.

That's a fact.

Quote
Since the sensor of the S is a bit larger, the 70mm behaves as a 50mm on FF...

Thanks for pointing my error out to me. It never clicked that the effect of crop factor on FOV would be the reverse of how I normally consider it.

EDIT: That can't be right. We're talking about placing a lens designed to cover a larger sensor in front of a smaller sensor. The latter would 'see' a reduced portion of that coverage. Therefore, the FOV would decrease..and the effect on wides is adverse.

Cheers,
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: peterv on January 15, 2014, 03:03:51 pm
Nope, it's just as Bernard says. The image circle of the 70mm S is larger than 135 format, so called full frame. The lens will behave like a 70 mm full frame lens. (And illuminate the mirror box  ;) )
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: AreBee on January 15, 2014, 04:50:58 pm
Hmm. Maybe I should quit while I am behind. :)
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Theodoros on January 15, 2014, 07:05:03 pm
Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
And if so will it be possible to use the af?

To use a lens on another camera, first thing is of course that the lens can be mounted on the same distance from the image area that it has originally designed for… Obviously, if the mount to image area distance is lesser than the camera the lens was originally designed for, there can be an adapter (acting as spacer too) that can fill the required distance. However, in photography, there is also a mechanism dedicated to lenses that is called aperture and this has to be active too!  ;)

I believe that Leica lenses have electronic aperture control (i.e. there is a motor in the lens that has to be directed to adjust aperture), while Nikon's mount has mechanical coupling with aperture… Thus, the Leica S lens can be fitted on a Nikon body as to be able to focus correctly but unfortunately, there is no way to adjust aperture on the lens!  :'( What a Pitty! …same happens if one wants to use a Contax 645 lens on Nikon! 
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: steel on March 27, 2014, 04:00:41 am
Thus, the Leica S lens can be fitted on a Nikon body as to be able to focus correctly but unfortunately, there is no way to adjust aperture on the lens!  :'( What a Pitty! …same happens if one wants to use a Contax 645 lens on Nikon! 

Talking about this, I am working on a C645/Nikon F mount adapter ring which allows you controlling Contax 645 lens aperture from Nikon camera body and with AF, here is the link of demo video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfywi8DJWs . Of course, same thing is possible for Leica S lenses on Nikon as I guess.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: avelpavel on March 27, 2014, 04:55:35 am
Hello Steel,

your video is really interesting! Do you think you will make a Contax 645 to Canon adapter too? I think it will attract lot of interest for alpa Fps, Hartblei Hcam and A7R owners.

Thanks

Rob

Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Telecaster on March 27, 2014, 03:22:34 pm
Hmm. Maybe I should quit while I am behind. :)

Just keep in mind that focal length is focal length. A given focal length has no intrinsic amount of coverage. Instead you get different amounts of coverage from the same focal length when used with different sized sensors. Sensor size is the variable in the equation.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: eronald on March 27, 2014, 10:30:27 pm
There were some AF 35mm Contax to Canon conversions ...

Edmund
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: steel on March 28, 2014, 01:05:48 am
Hello Steel,

your video is really interesting! Do you think you will make a Contax 645 to Canon adapter too? I think it will attract lot of interest for alpa Fps, Hartblei Hcam and A7R owners.

Thanks

Rob




Thanks. My C645/EF adapter was on sale since last Sep.

Now, I am evaluating the potential of making a Leica S2/EF or Nikon adapter ring, technically it is possible, business wise looks like no much market value as everybody suggested.

Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: avelpavel on March 28, 2014, 05:05:15 am
Is the C645/EF adapter still available? Where can I find it and how much does it costs?

Thanks

Rob

Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: steel on March 28, 2014, 09:56:17 am
Is the C645/EF adapter still available? Where can I find it and how much does it costs?

Thanks

Rob



Yes, I do have some rings in stock now, the ring body is silver or black, free to choose, but silver ones are rare. Most people like black, but I like silver.

I am selling it in taobao.com, the largest ebay like e-store in China, here is the link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.AwNwDR&id=35441986727

I am the original maker of this adapter ring,  it supports full series Contax 645 lenses and Mutar 1.4x, with exif recording/fast and accurate AF/in camera body aperture control/AF macro adjustment, dozens has been sold since last year.

For oversea customers, I can only accept paypal direct payment for the time being, price is USD 750 + shipping/insurance, almost same price as Asian customers, shipping is due 3 days after payment clearance, please contact steelchn(at)gmail.com for the details if you are interested.

Thanks.




Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: Theodoros on March 29, 2014, 05:16:45 pm
Yes, I do have some rings in stock now, the ring body is silver or black, free to choose, but silver ones are rare. Most people like black, but I like silver.

I am selling it in taobao.com, the largest ebay like e-store in China, here is the link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.AwNwDR&id=35441986727

I am the original maker of this adapter ring,  it supports full series Contax 645 lenses and Mutar 1.4x, with exif recording/fast and accurate AF/in camera body aperture control/AF macro adjustment, dozens has been sold since last year.

For oversea customers, I can only accept paypal direct payment for the time being, price is USD 750 + shipping/insurance, almost same price as Asian customers, shipping is due 3 days after payment clearance, please contact steelchn(at)gmail.com for the details if you are interested.

Thanks.





Is the C645 to Nikon adapter at the same price? Can it be ordered via another international link? How can one get it in Europe?


Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: rainer_v on March 30, 2014, 10:57:20 am
i would be interested in c645 to sony nex mount :) to use the a7r. would it work via a metabones adapter coupled with your 645- C adapter? or do you plan to make some adapters for the e-mount as well? very inetresting, but probably with 0 market share would be an adapter for sinar m lenses. did you think to this lenses ever?
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: steel on March 31, 2014, 02:28:13 am
Is the C645 to Nikon adapter at the same price? Can it be ordered via another international link? How can one get it in Europe?


Yes, C645/Nikon F adaptor is the same price as C645/EF one, but Nikon one looks much nicer because of using Nikon original lens mount and pin contacts.

Sadly, it is still under dev&testing, ETA is late May. Of course,you can find it in my eBay store by then.


 
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: steel on March 31, 2014, 03:14:10 am
i would be interested in c645 to sony nex mount :) to use the a7r. would it work via a metabones adapter coupled with your 645- C adapter? or do you plan to make some adapters for the e-mount as well? very inetresting, but probably with 0 market share would be an adapter for sinar m lenses. did you think to this lenses ever?

Never tested with Metabones EF/NEX adaptor so far, tests show my adaptor works partially with some EF/NEX adaptors made by China, AF does not work very well, other parts such as lens info/aperture control are ok. No plan to a C645/NEX adaptor or an adaptor for Sinar m lenses, I would rather to do a Leica S to Nikon/Canon adaptor instead.
Title: Re: Is there any way to use Leica S lenses at Nikon body?
Post by: peterv on April 01, 2014, 11:08:37 am
Steel, I just looked at your youtube video and I'm impressed. Outstanding work, and I'm happy to read you sold some adaptors already. It 's good to know that the Contax 645 lenses can find a new Nikon home through your adaptors. I have only Leica S lenses at the moment, so I'd be interested in a future Leica S to Nikon/Canon adaptor.