Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mcpix on January 14, 2014, 03:47:51 pm
-
I just replaced the left head in my Canon 8300 and I'm wondering if I should anticipate the right head failing soon?
-
To be honest, it's kind of hard to determine until you receive an error about the other print head needing replaced. Our tech said that they normally need replaced after going through about 3 700ml ink tanks or equivalent. You may go longer than that as some customers have that I've heard. It can't hurt to be safe and if the print head is still under warranty, Canon will replace it directly at no cost.
-
To be honest, it's kind of hard to determine until you receive an error about the other print head needing replaced. Our tech said that they normally need replaced after going through about 3 700ml ink tanks or equivalent. You may go longer than that as some customers have that I've heard. It can't hurt to be safe and if the print head is still under warranty, Canon will replace it directly at no cost.
Is there also a time when they need replacing, when the print volume is lower?
I'm talking at least 1 print a week and a higher average.
-
I'm seeing about 4000ml total ink use between between head changes on a printer that averages around 28 square feet a day. That's a lot of prints per head change. In the last year it seems like head changes have been less frequent, and maintenance tank use a lot less too. On my last telephone call to Canon support the tech was insistent that I upgrade to firmware 1.26, which we did together during the call. He didn't say much about the new firmware, except that it solved several issues and was very important to do. Maybe it improves printhead function, who knows?
-
My dealer said the firmware upgrade was definitely about longer head life ( less early failure). He came back from a canon training seminar about a year ago where they told him that it was important to update the firmware for that purpose.
Stuart