Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Brian Hirschfeld on January 12, 2014, 09:27:44 pm

Title: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Brian Hirschfeld on January 12, 2014, 09:27:44 pm
I'm trying to find a bunch of famous images that were taken with Hasselblad or pictures of famous people with Hasselblad's for a fun article I am working on.

I obviously have all of the Apollo moon related stuff from the moon walks, Earthrise etc etc.

I have Neil Leifer's Ali vs Liston shot and the remote Ali Williams shot.

I have the Abbey Road cover.

I have an Esquire shoot where Brad Pitt fondles a Hasselblad.

I'm trying to find some more iconic images taken with Hasselblad's they can really come from anywhere Fashion, rock, sports, reportage, anything that people really recognize...as I said famous people with Hasselblad's, and also Hasselblad's in movies (I know there are lots and I have some of the easy ones like Blowup and Rear Window) also they don't have to be "old" and can be iconic digital images shot as well (yes I know many AL shots are Hasselblad).

Thanks for the help / I think its always fun to find out the cameras that were used for famous images don't you?
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: bill t. on January 12, 2014, 11:02:35 pm
Have always liked this pathos-full picture of Marilyn Monroe by Richard Avedon.  99% sure it's a Hassy, has that 150 Sonnar look.  Pretty well known image, but perhaps not top-drawer iconic.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/files/2010/11/monroe2.jpg
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: WalterEG on January 13, 2014, 01:08:37 am
I'd venture to suggest a greater likelihood of Rollei TLR.  I have no recall of Uncle dick having used the mighty Swede.

W
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: bill t. on January 13, 2014, 01:51:07 am
Well, there's this...

http://www.hasselbladfoundation.org/assets/diplom/diplomavedon.jpg

Whatever, it's a good shot and from that far away in time all that really matters is that it's good old 6x6, which made infinitely better looking prints that 35mm.  I think I was wrong about the 150, it does look kinda 80mm.
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Rob C on January 13, 2014, 03:57:17 am
Have always liked this pathos-full picture of Marilyn Monroe by Richard Avedon.  99% sure it's a Hassy, has that 150 Sonnar look.  Pretty well known image, but perhaps not top-drawer iconic.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/files/2010/11/monroe2.jpg



Not `blad; no little cut-outs on the left frame line.

Rob C
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: bill t. on January 13, 2014, 01:29:25 pm
OK, you win Rob.

Here are some pretty good pictures of fancy folks with Hasselblads...

http://anfluquefoto.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/fotografos-con-hasselblad/
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Rob C on January 13, 2014, 02:40:56 pm
OK, you win Rob.

Here are some pretty good pictures of fancy folks with Hasselblads...

http://anfluquefoto.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/fotografos-con-hasselblad/


I like the third guy down, but he's smoking. It gets in my eyes.

All in all, a depressing reminder of what I pretty much threw away! The cameras, not the fags. Those I abandoned out of fear, around '66/'67.

;-)

Rob C

Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: RSL on January 13, 2014, 03:13:34 pm
Uh uh, Bill. Weegee should never be shown without a speed graphic.
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: bill t. on January 13, 2014, 03:58:09 pm
I knew Weegee was a wild man from his reputation, but until this day I had not realized how well he looked the part!  Perhaps that's from a Howard Hughes phase late in life.

Good idea giving up the smokes, Rob.  Now you can know with confidence that you will ride into the sunset on that Harley.
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: RSL on January 13, 2014, 04:02:49 pm
He didn't look like that when he was shooting dead mobsters.
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Rob C on January 14, 2014, 05:07:49 am
I knew Weegee was a wild man from his reputation, but until this day I had not realized how well he looked the part!  Perhaps that's from a Howard Hughes phase late in life.

Good idea giving up the smokes, Rob.  Now you can know with confidence that you will ride into the sunset on that Harley.


And now you have shattered a dream: I'd always hoped it would be that cherry-red (or robin's-egg blue) '59 Coupe de Ville. Hey! maybe as long as I keep off the one and out of the other...

Rob C
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: NickNod on January 21, 2014, 03:52:41 am
No doubt, the most famous one is the moon landing one.
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Rob C on January 21, 2014, 05:44:11 am
No doubt, the most famous one is the moon landing one.


The Moon has apparently landed several; that's perhaps the best reason for returning there: picking one up. It's sure to be collectible. Or you might find that it was really all a publicity stunt, and all that's there is a discarded cheese grater and a very old man with an underbite.

Rob C
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Ellis Vener on January 21, 2014, 12:17:54 pm
Ansel Adams used Hasselblads  towards the end of his period as an active photographer. The most famous of the photos  I know he shot with a Hasselblad is a view of Yosemite's Half Dome and moon. http://shop.anseladams.com/Moon_and_Half_Dome_p/5010117-u.htm#.Ut6liCso5jA

The late Bert Stern used Hasselblads frequently, the most famous photos he produced using a 'blad were the "Pyramid in a Martini glass" for Smirnoff

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/photographs/bert-stern-smirnoff-great-pyramid-of-giza-4952874-details.aspx
(a production still:
http://www.luxuriousmagazine.com/2013/07/simone-zeffiro-reflects-on-the-life-and-work-of-legendary-photographer-bert-stern/ )

That shot not revolutionized advertising photography and popularized martinis, allegedly created the entire USA market for vodka as an alcoholic beverage. Not bad for a time when vodka was associated with Russia and we were deep into the nastiest bits of the cold war.

...and numerous others including "The Last Sitting" shoot he did with Marilyn Monroe: http://believeinfilm.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/bert-stern-and-marilyn/

The Hasselblad Foundation award to Avedon had nothing to do with whether or not Avedon used their cameras. I'm sure he probably used or at least tried  Hasselblads at some point  but have no direct knowledge of this.

Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Ellis Vener on January 21, 2014, 12:21:15 pm
No doubt, the most famous one is the moon landing one.

"Earthrise"  is perhaps even more famous: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/23/256605845/on-anniversary-of-apollo-8-how-the-earthrise-photo-was-made and of course there is "Blue Marble" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble
Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: bill t. on January 21, 2014, 12:38:39 pm
This'll take ya' back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHC6MWmjTIU

Title: Re: Famous Images taken with Hasselbald?
Post by: Alan Klein on January 21, 2014, 12:47:44 pm
OK, you win Rob.

Here are some pretty good pictures of fancy folks with Hasselblads...

http://anfluquefoto.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/fotografos-con-hasselblad/

Third from the bottom is Ansel Adams with his.  http://anfluquefoto.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ansel-adams-con-hasselblad.jpg?w=640&h=640 (http://anfluquefoto.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ansel-adams-con-hasselblad.jpg?w=640&h=640)