Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 12, 2014, 05:06:42 pm

Title: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 12, 2014, 05:06:42 pm
Seagull in Palma de Mallorca


La Gaviota

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/11916141364_d46e6d0984_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/feldhaim/11916141364/)
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: David Eckels on January 12, 2014, 05:11:43 pm
One of the best that you've posted, I think, FWIW. I love it.
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 12, 2014, 06:08:04 pm
One of the best that you've posted, I think, FWIW. I love it.

Hey thanks !
I think her posing to the composition is what makes it - I'm thinking Marlene Dietrich or something along these lines ... ;)
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 12, 2014, 06:17:37 pm
I think, as cool as it is, that getting rid of the upper darker line would make the composition even stronger.
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 12, 2014, 11:36:55 pm
It's a great shot, but I agree with Slobodan.
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: cjogo on January 13, 2014, 12:03:48 am
Just a little crop and saturation ...
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 13, 2014, 03:38:30 am
Just a little crop and saturation ...

I'm not sure that the saturation boost is necessary, but the crop certainly improves an already very good shot (as Slobodan predicted).

Jeremy
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: cjogo on January 13, 2014, 03:42:13 am
Little too saturation -- but it made the birds B&W tone  > jump a little .. worked well as a contrasty full B&W , too ..
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 13, 2014, 04:55:19 am
I like it as it is - artistic decision.
;)
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: seamus finn on January 13, 2014, 01:18:58 pm
I like it as it is - artistic decision.
;)

So do I.
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: RSL on January 13, 2014, 01:27:21 pm
+1
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: cjogo on January 13, 2014, 07:09:52 pm
I think the lighter/original one wins ;-)
Title: Re: La Gaviota de Palma
Post by: amolitor on January 14, 2014, 10:00:51 am
I like the upper line. I think it gives balance to the frame.

Oddly enough, I like it in color better, as well. Part of what makes this one tick is that the background and the object the seagull is perched on are the same hue, more or less.

The original is best, as is so often the case ;)