Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: -Tom- on January 12, 2014, 11:43:31 am

Title: Hotel rooms
Post by: -Tom- on January 12, 2014, 11:43:31 am
(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/11908517765_ac6cd7f3f2_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavmavrovic/11908517765/)
Hotel rooms (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavmavrovic/11908517765/) by Tomislav Mavrovic (http://www.flickr.com/people/tomislavmavrovic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 12, 2014, 12:24:40 pm
New Topographics style? Works here.
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: -Tom- on January 12, 2014, 12:40:05 pm
Can't say I'm familiar with New Topographics style, I'll google it.
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 12, 2014, 01:12:02 pm
I see nothing but a notice from Flickr that the image is currently unavailable. Is that what makes it the "New Topographics style?"

EDIT: Now it is suddenly visible, after I posted my note.

It looks strangely ominous.

Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: Rob C on January 12, 2014, 02:43:05 pm
Why am I suddenly thinking of German rivers beginning with R?

But that aside, I like the cool modernism of the style in that photograph above.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: rogerxnz on January 12, 2014, 02:57:03 pm
Sorry, pictures of buildings do little for me, especially when there is no point of interest for me to focus on.
Roger
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: William Walker on January 12, 2014, 03:00:43 pm
I like it.
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 15, 2014, 10:57:19 am
Why am I suddenly thinking of German rivers beginning with R?

Good catch, Rob. It indeed resembles Gursky.

Now here is a heretic idea: like Gursky, how about cloning certain elements to amplify the feeling? For instance, I would replace all the windows with reflections with the dull, black ones. Speaking about ominous.
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: AFairley on January 15, 2014, 07:22:06 pm
Why am I suddenly thinking of German rivers beginning with R?

But that aside, I like the cool modernism of the style in that photograph above.

;-)

Rob C

Funny, I had the same thought!  But I too like this pic
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: cjogo on January 15, 2014, 08:06:56 pm
maybe a little more "snap" added ... but great lines already~!
Title: Re: Hotel rooms
Post by: Michael Haspert on January 15, 2014, 08:19:42 pm
Not having Gursky or new topographics as referents, I immediately thought,
"Cool. Like Edward Hopper with a camera."