Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: -Tom- on January 11, 2014, 06:57:05 pm

Title: Oncoming
Post by: -Tom- on January 11, 2014, 06:57:05 pm
(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/11896811046_ae7d6e0d01_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavmavrovic/11896811046/)
Oncoming (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavmavrovic/11896811046/) by Tomislav Mavrovic (http://www.flickr.com/people/tomislavmavrovic/), on Flickr

Parked the car, put the camera on the tripod, took one shot and waited until I heard a car coming...took the other shot just as the car was approaching and the exposure was finished 2 seconds before the car's headlights appeared. Little bit of Photoshop and Lightroom.
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Tony Jay on January 11, 2014, 07:01:39 pm
A strong gothic flavour to this image.
Works well in the context.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 11, 2014, 08:14:45 pm
Great idea well executed. What more can you ask?  Lovely.
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: cjogo on January 11, 2014, 08:16:27 pm
Good angle ~  ~!  Little dodge /or clone shows up in the middle of the sky ... but can live with it:-) 
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Ed Blagden on January 12, 2014, 07:53:52 am
I love it - very Hitchcock-esque.  Nothing to criticize.
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: RSL on January 12, 2014, 09:25:44 am
Good shot, Tom. That's taking advantage of the light. A good reason to always carry a camera.
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 12, 2014, 09:28:34 am
I love it - very Hitchcock-esque.  Nothing to criticize.
Ditto.
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Rob C on January 12, 2014, 11:15:01 am
Good angle ~  ~!  Little dodge /or clone shows up in the middle of the sky ... but can live with it:-) 


A very nice idea well executed, but perhaps processed mildly in the manner of Jeanloup Sieff landscapes, which are a bit 'difficult' for traditional concepts of printing to accommodate...

http://www.jeanloupsieff.com/sieff.html

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: -Tom- on January 12, 2014, 11:40:12 am
@Rob C: thanks for the link, my knowledge of photographers is really lacking, I never heard about mr. Sieff. Bookmarked the site, will add to my "Must" bookmarks. You live you learn, I guess :)
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Rob C on January 12, 2014, 02:56:46 pm
@Rob C: thanks for the link, my knowledge of photographers is really lacking, I never heard about mr. Sieff. Bookmarked the site, will add to my "Must" bookmarks. You live you learn, I guess :)


Don't feel bad about it; unless you were really into fashion photography in the early 60s you probably wouldn't ever have come across the name. Tachen has a wonderful, eponymous book of his life; unfortunately, it came out just before he died - or at least, my copy did because it recounts the event with a lovely little line saying: On the 20th of September, 2000, he tiptoed away without a sound, so as not to make fall the autumnal leaves.

It's my favourite book.

Rob C
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: davidh202 on January 12, 2014, 09:53:02 pm
 this is what I imagined coming next  Tom  ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8MW3KJUa8FQ
Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on January 13, 2014, 01:44:17 am
Great image !
If doing anything to it, the lights of the coming car could be dodged a little bit to be slightly brighter
I was first struggleing with the slight halos, but Robs reference to JLS appeased my mind.
Seriously good stuff!

Title: Re: Oncoming
Post by: brandtb on January 15, 2014, 02:33:37 pm
Tom - there is a lot to like about this image...though there is a lot of artifacting (sharpening etc.?) in the version you posted...which doesn't look so great.  As well, I wonder if you have any detail in the darks in the original?...or is it blocked up?. It might be worth bringing up the shadows/blacks a bit to get a fraction of detail in there and see what it looks like as an option. /B