Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: rogerxnz on January 11, 2014, 04:11:35 pm

Title: Wave on rock
Post by: rogerxnz on January 11, 2014, 04:11:35 pm
I like the effect of the wave hitting the rock in this pic and I have tried to work it into a pleasing image but . . .

Your thoughts, please.
Roger

Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: David Eckels on January 11, 2014, 05:58:11 pm
What about a square crop? The dark shape in the lower right is very distracting I find.
Here's an example, forgive if such editing is not wanted.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 11, 2014, 06:43:14 pm
I like David's crop.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: wolfnowl on January 11, 2014, 11:47:53 pm
I was thinking of a landscape crop, but square could work.  The foreground element really doesn't add anything in my opinion, and the rock that forms the main focal point resembles the head of a whale bursting out of the ocean.

Mike.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: Steve Weldon on January 12, 2014, 02:41:42 am
But..  that right corner needs to go.  Nice crop the other guy did.  But overall the focus is a bit too soft, the color seems wrong, and with that top horizon line to work with.. difficult. 


A really good concept though.   I wouldn't abandon it.  Try some different things and see if you can make it work for you.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: Ed Blagden on January 12, 2014, 07:51:39 am
I agree that David's crop is better and also I think the waterline horizon needs levelling.

That said I like the concept.  Generally pictures of rocks and blurred water do nothing for me so I don't comment on them but this one has a nice sense of movement and drama.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: rogerxnz on January 12, 2014, 01:37:01 pm
Thank you, all, for your comments. I did a square crop first but decided it was too squat and I liked the lead-in row of three rocks starting from the bottom left corner.

I agree the rock in the bottom right corner is a problem. I deliberately included it because it has interesting texture but that was a gross mistake! I was competing against time and tide and the camera was in an awkward position so it was difficult to assess and try options.

I have tried to remove the problem rock in the attached version but probably best to reshoot. I just hope the wave will reappear!

Thank you again.
Roger
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: David Eckels on January 12, 2014, 02:54:49 pm
That works too. Those waves never seem to reappear. Que lastima. Good luck.
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: Steve Weldon on January 12, 2014, 04:03:09 pm
Damn if that rock doesn't look like a whale breeching..
Title: Re: Wave on rock
Post by: francois on January 13, 2014, 07:51:32 am
This last version is definitely an improvement over the first one, I like it a lot. The square crop is also better than the first and original image.