Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on January 11, 2014, 07:50:35 am

Title: Geometries of heat
Post by: Roberto Frieri on January 11, 2014, 07:50:35 am
Hi to you all.
I would like to share with you some pictures from my last portfolio.
If you're interested in it, I've also published an ebook (text in italian and english), downloadable for free from my website: http://www.robertofrieri.net/en_index.html (http://www.robertofrieri.net/en_index.html).
I hope you like it and, as always, I will be grateful for any critics and constructive feedback.
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: kaelaria on January 11, 2014, 08:36:43 am
I dig it - especially the last one!
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 11, 2014, 09:45:09 am
A very elegant series.
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: RSL on January 11, 2014, 11:19:47 am
Great project Roberto. And very nicely done.
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: brandtb on January 11, 2014, 11:29:38 am
Some thoughts. I don't have hard and fast rules about correcting perspective. In this case I would consider it. In the case of .01 you have the biggest/strongest vertical element (massive concrete column) going way out of vertical, and the slender metal support column nearly vertical? This is very strange to me (I shoot arch. btw). Secondly, if you have an image like this where you have a combination of strong verticals and strong organic curves - if you "make the verticals" vertical if you will - then they play off the curving shapes like yin and yang. I think .12 and .14 would definitely benefit the same treatment...correcting the verticals.  Otherwise, I think the tone of these is great and a very good series/editorial...save for.07 which is very weak image among the group. /B
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 11, 2014, 01:46:44 pm
Lots to look at here. I especially like the last one but wish for just a little more of the top ladder.
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: cjogo on January 12, 2014, 02:52:37 am
A little cropping .. and setting a real black in the image >> and you are on your way..
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: stamper on January 12, 2014, 05:57:48 am
Some thoughts. I don't have hard and fast rules about correcting perspective. In this case I would consider it. In the case of .01 you have the biggest/strongest vertical element (massive concrete column) going way out of vertical, and the slender metal support column nearly vertical? This is very strange to me (I shoot arch. btw). Secondly, if you have an image like this where you have a combination of strong verticals and strong organic curves - if you "make the verticals" vertical if you will - then they play off the curving shapes like yin and yang. I think .12 and .14 would definitely benefit the same treatment...correcting the verticals.  Otherwise, I think the tone of these is great and a very good series/editorial...save for.07 which is very weak image among the group. /B

My first thoughts when I saw the first image were very much in accord. Only it was expressed much better above than I could. :)
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: Ed Blagden on January 12, 2014, 07:41:36 am
Love 'em.  Great toning.  The verticals thing doesn't bother me because they are sufficiently abstract.
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 12, 2014, 10:30:21 am
The invasion of anal-retentives?
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: bdosserman on January 12, 2014, 10:45:55 am
Some thoughts. I don't have hard and fast rules about correcting perspective. In this case I would consider it. In the case of .01 you have the biggest/strongest vertical element (massive concrete column) going way out of vertical, and the slender metal support column nearly vertical? This is very strange to me (I shoot arch. btw). Secondly, if you have an image like this where you have a combination of strong verticals and strong organic curves - if you "make the verticals" vertical if you will - then they play off the curving shapes like yin and yang. I think .12 and .14 would definitely benefit the same treatment...correcting the verticals.  Otherwise, I think the tone of these is great and a very good series/editorial...save for.07 which is very weak image among the group. /B

While I normally prefer corrected verticals, in this case I really like them as is. Perhaps because it gives a feeling of standing under something large?

Brian
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: Rob C on January 12, 2014, 11:07:15 am
The invasion of anal-retentives?


That's where critique shines, Slobodan! In the dark hollows of pursed lips and clenched cheeks...

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Geometries of heat
Post by: seamus finn on January 12, 2014, 02:08:32 pm
[quoteThat's where critique shines, Slobodan! In the dark hollows of pursed lips and clenched cheeks...
[/quote]

Somebody should put that in a book of quotes.